BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Google Contacts Sync (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=183541)

proussak 03-29-2009 11:23 AM

Google Contacts Sync

Two-part question:

I'm using Google Sync successfully to sync gCal with my BB8900. However, when it comes to syncing Contacts, I get a message that I have to set options on the BB to "Allow Duplicate Names." I've done this, including logging out of Google Sync, but the error message remains. Any suggestions? Should I delete Google Sync and reinstall?

On the other hand, I read posts on this site about this process resulting in multiple dupes and other errors, so maybe I should be asking if this is even worth trying?! Any good experiences out there? (I'm using Syncman to keep contacts in my desktop clients (Entourage, AddressBook) sync'd to gmail contacts, and I wouldn't be looking into this OTA sync method if PocketMac were working properly.)

Thanks

TotalTech 03-29-2009 12:31 PM

Wirelessly posted (VZW Storm, ATT Bold)

I tried google synce on contacts and on the 3rd day it had shot my contact list over 1k. Took me days to sort out what was a dupe and what was legit

sele 03-29-2009 03:00 PM

Wirelessly posted

I have used this to sync my contacts for a couple of months with no problems. What I did was to delete all contacts on berry after making sure they were correct in google. Then did sync to blank contacts on phone. No problems and they have stayed in sync since.

kurichan 03-29-2009 03:56 PM

I've had nothing but headaches with Google Sync. Google's habit of "alternative" approaches to computing is off base on this one. It's long gone, but the problems it created (dupes) remains.

hrbuckley 03-30-2009 07:25 PM

Yeah. Sadly disappointed by Google Sync performance. Won't work unless you allow duplicates, then create a gazillion duplicates. Were they on crack or what?

mgerbasio 03-30-2009 08:10 PM

I have been using it since it first came out without many problems. It isn't as nice as BES sync to outlook. Birthday and PIN fields don't map over so you'll lose the data unless you put it in the notes section. The address field gets screwed up on the BB. All the data is there but for contacts without an address 2 field, all the data gets shifted. I think they fixed this now.

I wiped all my contacts from both programs. I exports my contacts from OL and imported these into Google contacts. Sync did the job and transferred these to the BB.

Regards-Michael G.

proussak 03-31-2009 10:14 AM

I took the plunge and let's say it could be worse. I'm resigned to address fields being wrongly mapped - I don't do many snailmailings these days and I kept a separate copy of the old data. The weirdest thing is that at the top of the Contacts list on the BB, it says "No Contacts", which always gives me a scare, and I have to scroll down and down to find the first one (or press "A"). So we'll see if I get any help from the PocketMac guys (unlikely!) and then maybe give Missing Sync a try.