BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Q10 Series Discussion - BlackBerry 10 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160)
-   -   Update to 10.1.0.4189 (from 2011) (y) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=265084)

rambo47 08-29-2013 05:22 PM

Update to 10.1.0.4189 (from 2011) (y)

I have not messed with any leaked versions of BB10. I've stuck with the stock 10.1.0.2011 that came out the day I bought my Q10. So the update to 4189 was huge for me.

I was gratified to see wireless contacts sync with iCloud (and probably other cloud-based data bases) was fixed. Originally, when I set up my iCloud contacts to sync wirelessly it worked the first time only, populating my contacts list but then failing to do ANYthing. After this update my contacts sync instantaneously and two-way. This is a really big deal for me. After using an iPhone for almost 2 years (and being a life long Mac user) I got addicted to the ease and simplicity of one database kept in sync across all my devices. Sure it's possible to simply maintain the iCloud database and duplicate it on my mobile device on a one-by-one basis as new contacts are created. But it's addictive having everything stay in sync automatically.

iCal CalDAV accounts now integrate and sync directly with the Q10 calendar. Hoo-ah! I had been using GMail accounts as my primary calendar accounts and it works without a hitch generally. The only glitch was when I got a calendar invite via my default .mac email account. I would get the message "this account does not support calendar invitations..." so I couldn't simply accept the invitation and have it added to my calendar with an auto-acceptance note going back to the sender. Now I can!

On the downside, my battery seems to drain a little faster. Might just be me messing with all the settings and adjusting things, but I'd swear I was down 20% in only two hours. I'm sure I can still get through a full day on a single charge but it was even better with the 10.1.0.2011 version. I'll keep an eye on that.

Calendar theme is white vs. the previous black. Personally I don't care one way or the other. My BBM and SMS screens are both still dark in color. Again, meh. Some folks are up in arms over the dark-to-light switch for these things.

rambo47 08-29-2013 06:45 PM

Re: Update to 10.1.0.4189 (from 2011) (y)

Additionally, my iCloud email (mac.com) is now functioning as instant push rather than on a polling schedule. This just keeps getting better! Now if they would eliminate the 90-day limit on email...

dc/dc 08-29-2013 07:25 PM

Excellent!

ep8703 08-29-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1807353)
Additionally, my iCloud email (mac.com) is now functioning as instant push rather than on a polling schedule. This just keeps getting better! Now if they would eliminate the 90-day limit on email...

are you using gmail contacts or icloud for contacts? I need to narrow my options down to one source. and was looking to use one contact list and one calendar.
is icloud the way to go I think I seen you said it will snyc wireless? that's what I'm really looking for

dc/dc 08-29-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ep8703 (Post 1807355)
are you using gmail contacts or icloud for contacts? I need to narrow my options down to one source. and was looking to use one contact list and one calendar.
is icloud the way to go I think I seen you said it will snyc wireless? that's what I'm really looking for

I've found outlook.com to be more compatible than either of those for mobile use. It works perfectly on iOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, and BB10.

ZombieBerry 08-29-2013 11:08 PM

GMail has always been a bit buggy for me on my Z. Outlook works fine.

rambo47 08-30-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ep8703 (Post 1807355)

I'm using iCloud. When I tried GMail Contacts I was still on the old version of the the OS and it failed to update just like iCloud. I was going to use my current Contacts database on my Q10 to populate GMail Contacts but never did. Now that it's working so well with iCloud I won't bother with GMail Contacts.

I've been using a Nokia Lumia 928 as well and set up contacts for that device in Microsoft Outlook.com since that's the best compatible service for Windows Phone. I may see about using that for my Q10 as well though instead of iCloud. That way a change from Q10 to Lumia would be seamless as far as contacts lists.

rambo47 08-30-2013 07:46 AM

Right now the Lumia's soft spot for me is the calendar. You either use Outlook.com or Google Calendar. CalDAV is problematic on WP right now.

dc/dc 08-30-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1807373)
Right now the Lumia's soft spot for me is the calendar. You either use Outlook.com or Google Calendar. CalDAV is problematic on WP right now.

And it will be a problem until WP8.1. I had to stop using WP because of that issue.

gtix 08-31-2013 06:57 PM

Same findings. Mainly am relieved that update went without a hitch except had to re-enter passwords for email accounts. Update took less than 30 minutes via blackberry.com/support and USB connection to computer. Before update, I had shutdown and removed Memory card. Reinstalled card after update was complete. Q10 is stable.
Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1807352)
I have not messed with any leaked versions of BB10. I've stuck with the stock 10.1.0.2011 that came out the day I bought my Q10. So the update to 4189 was huge for me.

I was gratified to see wireless contacts sync with iCloud (and probably other cloud-based data bases) was fixed. Originally, when I set up my iCloud contacts to sync wirelessly it worked the first time only, populating my contacts list but then failing to do ANYthing. After this update my contacts sync instantaneously and two-way. This is a really big deal for me. After using an iPhone for almost 2 years (and being a life long Mac user) I got addicted to the ease and simplicity of one database kept in sync across all my devices. Sure it's possible to simply maintain the iCloud database and duplicate it on my mobile device on a one-by-one basis as new contacts are created. But it's addictive having everything stay in sync automatically.

iCal CalDAV accounts now integrate and sync directly with the Q10 calendar. Hoo-ah! I had been using GMail accounts as my primary calendar accounts and it works without a hitch generally. The only glitch was when I got a calendar invite via my default .mac email account. I would get the message "this account does not support calendar invitations..." so I couldn't simply accept the invitation and have it added to my calendar with an auto-acceptance note going back to the sender. Now I can!

On the downside, my battery seems to drain a little faster. Might just be me messing with all the settings and adjusting things, but I'd swear I was down 20% in only two hours. I'm sure I can still get through a full day on a single charge but it was even better with the 10.1.0.2011 version. I'll keep an eye on that.

Calendar theme is white vs. the previous black. Personally I don't care one way or the other. My BBM and SMS screens are both still dark in color. Again, meh. Some folks are up in arms over the dark-to-light switch for these things.

Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

gtix 08-31-2013 09:21 PM

Re: Blackberry Q10 Update to 10.1.0.4189

Couple hours after Q10 update to 10.1.0.4189.all is well. Initially there was a battery drain, but battery drainage back to pre-upgrade rate which is excellent. Seems touch interface may have been tweaked in terms of opening only what user intends to open. Overall momentum is smoother. A few additions such as swipe down settings showing what bluetooth device or Wi-Fi Q10 is connected to. Texts don't delete without doing an End Chat.

ep8703 09-01-2013 09:33 AM

Re: Blackberry Q10 Update to 10.1.0.4189

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtix (Post 1807431)
Couple hours after Q10 update to 10.1.0.4189.all is well. Initially there was a battery drain, but battery drainage back to pre-upgrade rate which is excellent. Seems touch interface may have been tweaked in terms of opening only what user intends to open. Overall momentum is smoother. A few additions such as swipe down settings showing what bluetooth device or Wi-Fi Q10 is connected to. Texts don't delete without doing an End Chat.

press and hold on the text that should delete it. but will probably also end chat
can't remember I don't have any text message to see.:cry:

gtix 09-01-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ep8703 (Post 1807444)
press and hold on the text that should delete it. but will probably also end chat
can't remember I don't have any text message to see.:cry:

No, text messages truly do not delete without doing individual End Chats. Have heard others with same problem. Is not just me. Delete Priors don't get rid of them either.

BasicBerryGuy 09-07-2013 03:47 PM

I really liked the black calendar. The replacement white is boring and a mismatch with the elegant look of other functions. Does anyone know of BB plans to change/add options?

rambo47 09-08-2013 04:32 PM

I have heard nothing about plans to change the calendar theme back to black, or to add an option for the user to select black/white. I have to assume it's pretty low on BlackBerry's to-do list with BB10 if it's there at all.

ZombieBerry 09-08-2013 05:20 PM

Already enabled again with the latest leak.

heavymen 09-09-2013 01:36 PM

Anyone on Verizon? They still have not pushed the new version...

dc/dc 09-09-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by heavymen (Post 1807737)
Anyone on Verizon? They still have not pushed the new version...

Carriers don't push leaks.