BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Confirm my understanding please - Wifi v. Mobile Network (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=191957)

BlackBearME 05-31-2009 07:53 PM

Confirm my understanding please - Wifi v. Mobile Network

OK, I'll try to keep this brief as possible - something I'm not always good at.
I'm going to Ireland in a few days, and my family bought my an int'l SIM so I can call home and my daughter while I'm there. But, like most BlackBerry owners, I want more than making a 5 minute call once a day. I am sporting a Curve 8320, and have access to WiFi. Here's what I've learned/confirmed from searching the boards and my own experimentation:

- If i leave the SIM out, I get access to WiFi, but only for the browser - no email, no maps, no nothing
- If I put the SIM in, connect to the mobile network, and WiFi, then go into "Manage Connections" and disable the Mobile Network, I can still perform flawless via WiFi - I can make calls, SMS, push email, etc. (My understanding is that's it necessary to at least initially connect to the mobile network and confirm your setting, or something, with your carrier before you can use the WiFi to call, etc.)

Obviously, I don't want to use the pre-paid time, or charge things to my TMo account (my mother's actually) if I don't have to. So here's what I want to confirm, if anyone can: if I do this with my TMo SIM while I'm in Ireland - put it in, connect, then turn off the Mobile Network, using just the WiFi - will this allow me to effectively use the internet for my phone, and keep charges off my bill?

TIA,

BlackBear

Trimix 05-31-2009 09:19 PM

If you have the Mobile Network turned off and wifi turned on, yes you should be able to use internet (assuming you can connect to a wifi spot), and keep charges off your bill. Since you have a Tmobile 8320, you might be also able to take advantage of uma to make phone calls. While I haven't tried this myself, I've read on the forums that calls made over uma/UMA to US phone numbers count as any regular call (anytime minutes may be deducted, but no roaming charges). However, this cannot be used to call a local number in Ireland.

If you do get a chance to try that, let us know. Be nice to have additional confirmation about using uma internationally.

BlackBearME 06-04-2009 12:50 AM

Update:
Well, I'm sitting in the airport at Shannon, and decided to give it a shot just fort the hell of it. Turned off all my connections, put my SIM back in, and once it booted I turned WiFi on, and connected to the network. I got UMA without ever even turning the mobile network on. I successfully made a call home (though to a machine, it being 0130 there) and it went through fine. So I'll check the website in a few hours and see if I got charged up the butt for it or no

inezpearl 06-04-2009 01:14 AM

it will be interesting to know if you were charged or not over UMA. i also wanted to try this since i travel a lot but didnt give it a try while reading on wikipedia that subscribers may be charged with UMA (unlicensed mobile access) or GAN (general access network). While on travel and calling back office i use 3rd party mobile voip apps that are cheap and give totally free calls when in hotspot. so it makes sense to use them since on official tour you always get hot spots in hotels, airports and you can connect back to your office...this can work for home if you have setup wifi in your home as well. if there is no wifi access then their call rates are cheap since they utilize VoIP. i have been using truphone and vopium interchangeably though i have installed both of them but using later nowadys.