BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Verizon unlocks GPS w/BB Maps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=163290)

Redflea 12-04-2008 11:35 AM

Verizon unlocks GPS w/BB Maps

Verizon has unlocked the internal GPS on Pearl and Curve BBs for use w/BB Maps with the 4.5 OS.

Redflea 12-04-2008 11:40 AM

Verified...set my Pearl to use internal GPS in Advanced>GPS and also in BB Maps, and BB Maps found my exact location.

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 11:44 AM

How many forums do we need this posted in?

Redflea 12-04-2008 11:47 AM

For VZW users this is big news, and many folks don't hang out in this forum regularly. Just ignore it if it doesn't apply to you. :)

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 11:48 AM

It still only needs one thread started by you in one forum. Rules are rules...

Redflea 12-04-2008 11:57 AM

One I have always respected. I'm not flogging some app or theme I'm selling, or posting repeatedly across forums to get help with some inane question. Cut us a little slack here...VZW folks have been waiting for years for this.

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 11:59 AM

Fine... do what you want. But you're making it more difficult for people to follow this by having more than one thread for people to report their failures & successes.... I'm pretty sure that's why the rules are there.

And FYI - this does affect me and I appreciate the news. I hadn't heard it before reading your post. I'm a BES admin and have many VZW devices out there.

pshift 12-04-2008 12:47 PM

Thanks for the news. I visit here more than HoFo and the news is appreciated.

ernhrts3n8 12-04-2008 12:52 PM

I am ignorant to a lot of this. So, does this mean that I do not have to pay for the GPS system from Verizon anymore? Does is work the same as Navigator? Thank you in advance.

P.S. Had I not seen this thread closed under general, I would never have seen this post. Thanks for posting.

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 12:55 PM

No, this is not an audible turn-by-turn solution to replace the VZNav application. If you wish to keep the audible driving instructions, you will need to keep VZNav.

This is a simple locate-me type of solution, but does not include the enhanced functionality of the application they charge a monthly fee for.

kelvin 12-04-2008 01:04 PM

I tried it on my VZW Curve. No luck. How did you get it to work?

Redflea 12-04-2008 01:30 PM

I forgot to mention originally, added it to the first message, you need to be running the 4.5 OS.

You also need to load BB Maps if you haven't yet.

Also, go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and make sure that GPS Data Source is set to "Device GPS."

You can also check the BB Maps options to make sure it is set to the internal GPS device as well.

Should work...someone w/a Curve posted on HoFo that it was working for them. You might have to go outside, and make sure you have a clear shot to the sky.

yaesumofo 12-04-2008 01:31 PM

I figured In was on to something when while I was fiddling with my external bluetooth GPS and maps that I had tricked my phone somehow. As it turns out the GPS has been unlocked!!!
Fantastic.
This is good news. Yes it is a basic program but it works and it does give an exact location and is fun...
Good stuff!!
Yaesumofo

Redflea 12-04-2008 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ernhrts3n8 (Post 1196008)
I am ignorant to a lot of this. So, does this mean that I do not have to pay for the GPS system from Verizon anymore? Does is work the same as Navigator? Thank you in advance.

P.S. Had I not seen this thread closed under general, I would never have seen this post. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome...

I've tried to use VZNav w/my BB today with BB maps open and closed, and VZNav could not get a GPS fix. I have used VZNav w/my external BT puck, so it seems to indicate that VZNav won't work w/the internal GPS unless you pay the $10 monthly charge for that...

Windows Live Search also would not work, with BB maps open or closed. Also tried SendaFix from Virtual Views, and it can't see the internal GPS either.

It's a nice change from VZW, but it is pretty limited, BB Maps use only.

Redflea 12-04-2008 02:01 PM

Also, my Freedom 2000 GPS puck would work inside my company's office building.

The Pearl internal GPS won't work (can't find satellites) so the internal GPS may not be as robust as some external pucks.

0100010 12-04-2008 03:58 PM

Great news! Just tested myself. I agree with the above, my BTGPS puck works in the office, have to take my 8330 outside (its cold) to p/u a signal.

arieltf 12-04-2008 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redflea (Post 1196077)
I forgot to mention originally, added it to the first message, you need to be running the 4.5 OS.

You also need to load BB Maps if you haven't yet.

Also, go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and make sure that GPS Data Source is set to "Device GPS."

You can also check the BB Maps options to make sure it is set to the internal GPS device as well.

Should work...someone w/a Curve posted on HoFo that it was working for them. You might have to go outside, and make sure you have a clear shot to the sky.

It doesn't work for me. :-(

I have OS 4.5 and have checked the settings.

BB Maps just sits there searching for satellites. VZNavigator, from the same location (indoors) finds the satellites immediately.

I don't want to go outside now because it is snowing and 17 degrees. I'll try it again this afternoon when I am forced to stand outside waiting for the bus. ;-)

--Ariel

Redflea 12-04-2008 04:47 PM

So the internal GPS gets a fix in VZNav, but not in BB Maps? That's odd...if both are using the same GPS then they should have similar results...

CO_BBTechie 12-04-2008 04:48 PM

You may try going into options>advanced>gps and refreshing it there. Sometimes I had issues getting a fix using google maps (with ATT) but the ATT Nav app worked great. Once I had a fix in the options then google worked well.

fmtek 12-04-2008 04:50 PM

try sending down the service books to your phone..

in my service books, there is one called "Blackberry Maps (LBSConfig)" .. or something like that..