BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Documents To Go: PREMIUM Edition (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=149674)

johnlatessa 09-11-2008 03:54 PM

Documents To Go: PREMIUM Edition

I am wondering about the registration and activation process for this software.

Do they issue you a registration number and serial key that is always good for a particular PIN number? Or do they generate a serial that is only good for a specific time period?

As a person who is CONSTANTLY screwing around with the Berry, with different OS's and so forth, I need to know this before I buy Docs To Go Premium.

funkyp56 09-11-2008 05:25 PM

I have not tested this theory

just sent some blank documents to your blackberry and save them. Edit them and save them with new names. If that works, why would you ever need the premium version, other then supporting the vendors wallet.

pitbull62 09-11-2008 07:29 PM

what is dome? did you mean some. if so how does this work. id like to have docs to go but dont see it.

JaguarXJ7 09-11-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitbull62 (Post 1096915)
what is dome? did you mean some. if so how does this work. id like to have docs to go but dont see it.

Have you installed OS 4.5 on your device? If yes then you probably didn't check them to be installed during the upgrade process. Connect your BB open the app loader you will see it there (likely not checked), check it off and click next.

JaguarXJ7 09-11-2008 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlatessa (Post 1096666)
I am wondering about the registration and activation process for this software.

Do they issue you a registration number and serial key that is always good for a particular PIN number? Or do they generate a serial that is only good for a specific time period?

As a person who is CONSTANTLY screwing around with the Berry, with different OS's and so forth, I need to know this before I buy Docs To Go Premium.

I had a look at their faq's, but I didn't see anything anywhere. From what I recall of DataViz (and most other developers) from my Palm days is that upgrades within a major version are free; major version upgrades are not.

Within a Major Version - V1.02 to V1.05 - Normally Free
New Major Version - v1.02 -v2.0 - Not Normally Free

This has held true so far with RexWireless (for example) on the BB platform; I have received 2 free upgrades from them for my ToDoMatrix.

If you need to be absolutely certain them ask them.

johnlatessa 09-11-2008 09:45 PM

I may indeed have to contact them.

See, I'm trying to avoid the same situation that I had with Garmin Mobile.

They issue you an activation code that expires in a few days. So if you wipe your Berry and put a new OS on it, you have to contact them for another activation code.

It's a major pain in the ass, and I'd rather not deal with that. Of course that's now moot anyway since I got a newer phone and their license is not transferrable. Oh well, I got my $100 worth of playing around with it.

With my other products, such as Ascendo Money and Ascendo Data Vault, I can wipe and re-install to my heart's content. They issue a serial key that is based off of your PIN, and it never expires.

camaro322hp 09-11-2008 11:56 PM

I have the premium edition and I just recently wiped my BB and reinstalled everything from scratch. I was able to use the same activation license they originally sent me, so I don't think there is an expiration date.

However, I did read something about a download limit though. They try and sell you download insurance or something? Anyway, how I got around this was to not enter your license key at first. Just install the "free" version with the BB OS, then download the full version as if you were going to start a trial of it, then enter the license key after downloading the full version.

redsoxnation 09-12-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlatessa (Post 1097060)
I may indeed have to contact them.

See, I'm trying to avoid the same situation that I had with Garmin Mobile.

They issue you an activation code that expires in a few days. So if you wipe your Berry and put a new OS on it, you have to contact them for another activation code.

It's a major pain in the ass, and I'd rather not deal with that. Of course that's now moot anyway since I got a newer phone and their license is not transferrable. Oh well, I got my $100 worth of playing around with it.

With my other products, such as Ascendo Money and Ascendo Data Vault, I can wipe and re-install to my heart's content. They issue a serial key that is based off of your PIN, and it never expires.

Contact them while its free! Fist thing docstogo doesnt support windows 2007, so no word, exel or powerpoint from any vista OS. Then after you buy their over priced prouct its not for life. You have to pay them $2 more for download insurance for an extra 10 downloads. So you get 11 downloads for life. After that sorry give them another $70 and everytime you call them after you bought their product its $19 for customer service. No thank you!

johnlatessa 09-12-2008 08:56 AM

So you're telling me that it HAS to be downloaded OTA?

There's no version of it that I can download to my PC and install through the Desktop Software?

If that's the case.... screw it. I won't even bother.

Their website is a complete joke, also. It's ridiculous how many hoops you have to jump through, just to be able to contact them - if you can at all. And I still didn't see a way to do it.

I won't do business with any company I can't just send a mail to, and ask a simple question.

johnlatessa 09-12-2008 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro322hp (Post 1097190)
I have the premium edition and I just recently wiped my BB and reinstalled everything from scratch. I was able to use the same activation license they originally sent me, so I don't think there is an expiration date.

However, I did read something about a download limit though. They try and sell you download insurance or something? Anyway, how I got around this was to not enter your license key at first. Just install the "free" version with the BB OS, then download the full version as if you were going to start a trial of it, then enter the license key after downloading the full version.

Interesting.... not a bad idea =)

camaro322hp 09-12-2008 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsoxnation (Post 1097392)
Contact them while its free! Fist thing docstogo doesnt support windows 2007, so no word, exel or powerpoint from any vista OS. Then after you buy their over priced prouct its not for life. You have to pay them $2 more for download insurance for an extra 10 downloads. So you get 11 downloads for life. After that sorry give them another $70 and everytime you call them after you bought their product its $19 for customer service. No thank you!

To clarify a couple things:

- DocsToGo does support .docx files (files created in Office 2007), but currently not .xlsx files.
- This has nothing to do with Vista, it has to do with the version of Office you are running.
- See my comment above for a workaround to the "download insurance" crap
- I could not find a download from their website. OTA is the only download method I could locate.

JSanders 09-12-2008 10:30 AM

x2, all that is my experience as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by camaro322hp (Post 1097572)
To clarify a couple things:

- DocsToGo does support .docx files (files created in Office 2007), but currently not .xlsx files.
- This has nothing to do with Vista, it has to do with the version of Office you are running.
- See my comment above for a workaround to the "download insurance" crap
- I could not find a download from their website. OTA is the only download method I could locate.

rivviepop 09-12-2008 12:35 PM

You can use the various OTA downloading methods from the forums to save a copy of the install to your PC, so that you can reinstall via the media card (not the DM). Basically, on your BB device, go to the webpage that allows a download and do a Menu -> Page Address, then send that to yourself in email; this is what you shove into the OTA downloading tools to save all the files.

There are a lot of files in the download, 56 files including the JAD. They take up about 2.2mb on your Media card to store. I installed the upgrade from my media card this way, not actually over the air -- all I did was go so far as to get the OTA URL, then used my script to download all the files.

JaguarXJ7 09-12-2008 06:48 PM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivviepop
You can use the various OTA downloading methods from the forums to save a copy of the install to your PC, so that you can reinstall via the media card (not the DM). Basically, on your BB device, go to the webpage that allows a download and do a Menu -> Page Address, then send that to yourself in email; this is what you shove into the OTA downloading tools to save all the files.

There are a lot of files in the download, 56 files including the JAD. They take up about 2.2mb on your Media card to store. I installed the upgrade from my media card this way, not actually over the air -- all I did was go so far as to get the OTA URL, then used my script to download all the files.

That's what I would do too. Good advice. :)

fkjr2 10-17-2008 11:18 PM

does anyone know if docs to go plan on faxing support of documents?

ddwithoutfear 10-18-2008 01:19 AM

I'm actually having a DOCS2GO issue as well. Once I upgraded my OS, I also updated DOCS2G0 via the OTA update. This gave me sheets2go, which supports the .xlsx files. Problem is, when I connect through DM it always wants to downgrade DOC2GO. Is there a workaround to this, or a way to save the .cad file to the DM folder in my PC?

PDM 10-18-2008 05:12 AM

ddwithoutfear : BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - View Single Post - Docs to go / OS 4.5 ;)

ddwithoutfear 10-18-2008 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PDM (Post 1140211)

Thanks!

Bop N Joppa 10-22-2008 09:07 AM

Way around OTA install for Docs To Go

There is a way around the OTA install -- great for backing this up. Go here: support.dataviz.com/support.srch?docid=14179

CzechM8 10-22-2008 02:51 PM

That's funny.... I just upgraded to 4.5 and Docs2go loaded but I don't have sheets.... only docs and slides..... what's up with that? And after testing, it would not open a docx format file.