BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   Question about upgrading OS. Better to WIPE and INSTALL then UPGRADE... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=197219)

samstersam 07-15-2009 05:17 PM

Question about upgrading OS. Better to WIPE and INSTALL then UPGRADE...

Hi I recently purchased a 8900 curve and i love it compared to the pearl i've had for 4 years...

I see the process has changed when upgrading OS's on the berries. Back then you would launch Desktop Manager and first use Application Loader to DELETE or wipe the OS and then you would install the new OS.

When following the instructions for upgrading the 8900 to the .250 OS (im' coming from the 114), the instructions simply say to use LOADER.EXE located in the program files folder where VENDOR.XML is located.

Is this actually doing a clean wipe? It looks more like upgrading. Because my facebook application and emails are still on the blackberry (although my contacts are gone)

Call me old school but I feel more comfortable if a clean install was done rather than an upgrade.

Is LOADER.EXE really upgrading or wiping first?

MidnightDraven 07-15-2009 05:38 PM

there are checkbox options to a) backup data which is then restored b) erase all data before upgrading and c) erase all installed applications.

as these options are available within app loader, you can either have it backup and restore data and just install the os, or have it backup and restore all data AND have it erase everything THEN load the OS.

samstersam 07-15-2009 06:10 PM

I had it checked

I had both checked. But if you notice the only choices are delete installed applications and the other is delete data. Applications and data is not what I'm worried about. Its the OS which I believe falls into neither catagory since the option to REMOVE the OS when you first go into loader is greyed out.

I think what we are doing is simply upgrading the OS and not wiping it. I noticed when going to 250 that some screens freeze (receiving call screen, after hanging up etc) for a brief millisecond before going to home screen. Maybe these things are related to the upgrade? I have this weird feeling its like when you upgrade like windows 98 to windows XP without a clean install and you have some junk leftover from the previous OS that slows down performance...i don't know again call me old school.i hate upgrades...

A long time ago when I had my pearl there was something called Java Loader which COMPLETELY wiped a phone on a low level and then you can go to application loader in desktop manager and install the OS.... is that tool still available..?

akosnitzky 07-15-2009 06:23 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

They only time I wipe first manually is when I am upgrading the desktop manager

craig0ry 07-15-2009 10:53 PM

I, too, have the constant urge to do clean installs on all of my equipment. You can do a clean install on your 8900 - there are actually instructions on this forum. I don't have a link but I found it by searching, I guarantee you can too.

However, with the release of 5.0 growing ever closer, I'd personally just live with the upgrade and do the clean wipe after 5.0 hits. That is what I'm doing - I'm running the .250 update as well and I also get the millisecond hangs and hourglasses, but performance as a whole and battery life is way up, at least for me.

Good luck with whatever you do! (y)

vinmontRD 07-19-2009 08:10 PM

I've been upgrading the OS on my various Blackberry's for years. I've loaded just about every beta that's been available on my 8900, having gotten it the week it was first available in a T-Mobile corp store. I've had it up toe 5.0.0.100, and then backed down to 4.6.1.250, which is what's on there now.

I've never had to wipe any of my Blackberry's, and I've never had weird behavior that might have been attributed to NOT having done a wipe...

yeerk05 07-21-2009 10:34 AM

hello.. i have problem with my 8900 Javelin, my BB messanger is ver 4.6, yesterday i tried to upgrade to ver 5.0 from handheld, but it gone with error n now i do not have any BBM on my handheld,
i have desktop manager version 4.7 n i already install "8900M_PBr4.6.1_rel158_PL4.2.0.69_A4.6.1.94_Rogers .exe" into my PC, but when i run application loader n click browse to install "blackberrymessager 4.6.1.alx", it shows error like this "no additional applications designed for your device" please help me what to do so i can have BBM in my handheld again, thx

jsconyers 07-21-2009 10:50 AM

Try browsing to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\Shared\Loader and deleting the vendor.xml file.