BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   GPS software that recalculates other than TeleNav? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=95686)

KapsBB 09-18-2007 11:18 AM

GPS software that recalculates other than TeleNav?

This is for an AT&T 8700c with a bluetooth GPS receiver. TeleNav is great, but at $10 a month or $250 for 4 years, I might as well just buy a Garmin. I have the BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps, but they don't recalculate or have audible navigation. I was looking on Handango's website and they have tons of GPS software, but they don’t really have all the details listed. I don't mind spending $50 on GPS software, but I don't want to pay a monthly fee. Has anyone used any type of GPS software that has audible navigation and can recalculate if you miss a turn?

JSanders 09-18-2007 11:21 AM

If you will search this thread you will find several options for GPS software, free and commercial. I would like a complete list to place at our sister FAQ site, but have not had the time to do so.

There are other applications.

Welcome to the Forums. I see you have been a member a while, and just now posted?

Griffog 09-18-2007 12:29 PM

Have a look at Wayfinder.

Stinsonddog 09-18-2007 12:35 PM

See my GPS tips page.

KapsBB 09-18-2007 03:51 PM

I have done plenty of searching, but could not find exactly what I was looking for which is why I asked.

Software like Wayfinder is what I am looking for, but at $100 and the fact that I just spent about 15 minutes trying to download their free trial and still can't!! I think that is reason enough to not use their software.

Based on Stinsonddog tips page, it looks like Telenav is the way to go unless someone else can name GPS software that has audible directions and re-route, OTHER than Wayfinder?

JSanders 09-18-2007 03:53 PM

I know I have seen at least one other mentioned on this Forum in the past 30 days, cause that is about as far back as i can remember.

creepy 09-18-2007 05:44 PM

I recently downloaded a free application called AmazeGPS. It's does recalculate routes and provides voice naviagtion, but the loading of maps takes a long time because they are very detailed.

The good thing about AmazeGPS is that it is absolutely free.

Give it a try to see if it meets your needs.

Update - I just reread your post and see that you have an 8700. I didn't see that model listed under the AmazeGPS website. Maybe somebody else got the program to work with an 8700...

bbsking 09-18-2007 05:47 PM

BES - How its work? any once can describe

JSanders 09-18-2007 05:53 PM

bbsking, please check the FAQ site (my signature), lots of info on BES there.

Also, plesae don't interrupt another thread with your off-topic question. That is called "thread-crapping" and looked down upon--impolite.

Good luck.

Phrozen Horse 09-19-2007 04:01 AM

Ran a few initial tests with AmazeGPS and they are promising

hulkmax 10-17-2007 03:33 PM

amazegps works great with my 8300

Jennesy 10-17-2007 09:22 PM

Mapquest Navigator...recalculates quickly with turn by turn voice navigation.

Still tough to understand why many people aren't familiar with this app, as far as functionality it's up there with the paid applications such as Telenav and Wayfinder, and it's free(for now supposedly). If you're looking for a battery saver as well, this is a good program.

CanuckBB 10-18-2007 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KapsBB (Post 671381)
This is for an AT&T 8700c with a bluetooth GPS receiver. TeleNav is great, but at $10 a month or $250 for 4 years, I might as well just buy a Garmin. I have the BlackBerry Maps and Google Maps, but they don't recalculate or have audible navigation. I was looking on Handango's website and they have tons of GPS software, but they don’t really have all the details listed. I don't mind spending $50 on GPS software, but I don't want to pay a monthly fee. Has anyone used any type of GPS software that has audible navigation and can recalculate if you miss a turn?

But does the one-time fee for Garmin give you updated maps at all, let alone on a timely basis?

My experience with non-subscription based GPS software is that you need to buy new maps every year if you want to stay up to date, coming close to the Telenav fee anyway.

RickyG 10-18-2007 07:17 PM

nav4all does