BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Bold goes from 3G to GPRS with every call (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=177448)

Rhack9 02-20-2009 07:22 PM

Bold goes from 3G to GPRS with every call

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered already.

I upgraded to the Bold a week ago. It works great except for every time I make a call it switches from full 3G coverage to GPRS. Once I end the call it lingers in GPRS for ~10 seconds, then edge for another ~10, and finally picks up EDGE. The only way I can get it back to 3G is with a battery pull or a ALT+CAP+DEL soft reset (I've waited 3+ hours in EDGE to see if it would go back automatically, but it didn't). As soon as I make another call after resetting it goes back to GPRS... same deal.

There is great 3G coverage in my area (lower Manhattan). After a reset it flies. So I don't think it's a dead zone issue. However, I had the first unit replaced last night (thinking it could've been a defective radio), and the new Bold does the same thing. Given the odds of two consecutive units having the same exact problem, I'm guessing that it's a network problem?

Possibly relevant info:
Running v4.6.0.167 on Platform 4.0.0.157

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this phone, but without 3G it's just a Curve with a really pretty screen.

RAHJR

EmJayPrice 02-20-2009 08:11 PM

I would suggest that you upgrade to a newer version of the firmware. The original was pretty flaky with 3G. You will get better battery life as well.

MidnightDraven 02-21-2009 06:56 AM

Ive had the same problem with 3G.
I put it on, it stays there for like 30 minutes, and goes to GPRS. (I havent even touched the phone).
Only way to get it back is a battery pull.
My latest OS .216 still hasnt fixed that problem.

drpsychox 02-21-2009 03:22 PM

I'm having the exact same problem. I've had .190 though for a while and it never started doing this until recently, so I'm not sure what triggered it. Midnightdraven, how is the .216 OS? Is it significantly better? I'm still debating whether or not I should upgrade.

MidnightDraven 02-21-2009 04:56 PM

for me, the .190 AVEA version (not my carrier) has better battery life, but the 3G problem has always been there.
.216 T-mob UK (my carrier) has worse battery life than .190, otherwise I see no difference.

drpsychox 02-21-2009 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1294074)
for me, the .190 AVEA version (not my carrier) has better battery life, but the 3G problem has always been there.
.216 T-mob UK (my carrier) has worse battery life than .190, otherwise I see no difference.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the device then. Battery life on .190 is decent, but I've noticed it getting worse and worse as time goes on. Calls sound AWFUL now. It's just garbling and just right now I stopped hearing everything after it switched from GPRS to EDGE during the call...I never had this problem with my iPhone.

Can anyone suggest a GOOD firmware with the least known problems? I don't want to give up on the Bold just yet, but all these issues are really annoying. I also can't even sync with my MBP at all. Pocketmac just hangs.

MidnightDraven 02-21-2009 06:31 PM

Personally I'd say .190 is the best.
I think the 3G problem is a carrier problem for me, possibly the SIM card or provisioning, but as I don't use 3G it doesnt matter for me.

Rhack9 02-21-2009 07:16 PM

Thanks all for the replies. Perhaps a firmware update is the best option. However, I'm a Mac user -- don't I need a PC?

drpsychox 02-22-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhack9 (Post 1294202)
Thanks all for the replies. Perhaps a firmware update is the best option. However, I'm a Mac user -- don't I need a PC?

Yes. Unfortunately you can only do firmware updates with a PC unless you have Parallels or something on your Mac.

By the way, have you had any luck syncing your mac with your Bold? I haven't been able to sync my Bold with my Mac for months now. I'm starting to hate this thing at this point.

Rhack9 02-22-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpsychox (Post 1294471)
By the way, have you had any luck syncing your mac with your Bold? I haven't been able to sync my Bold with my Mac for months now. I'm starting to hate this thing at this point.

I originally was using PocketMac, as I did with my previous BBs, but wasn't digging it too much -- the media syncing features particularly lacking. Sprung for Missing Sync. It was ~$35 but worth it I think. The proximity sync via Bluetooth is great. Haven't had any problems yet.

stranger 02-22-2009 02:33 PM

im on the newest leaked beta .237 and i have the same problem. had it on .234 as well hoping that the next one will finally fix this. .214? i think was the last time i didnt have the problem. i would go back but its worth it to not have the media player volume issue.
search for the best OS continues...

drpsychox 02-22-2009 04:09 PM

I feel like I shouldn't pay that $39.99 for missing sync when it should work with my mac anyway. I don't understand why RIM provides so little support for Macs. I have a PC too, but I hate using it so much that I almost never use it.

drpsychox 02-24-2009 12:22 AM

So Rhack9, did a firmware update help you at all?

scaevola 02-24-2009 01:28 AM

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpsychox
Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1294074)

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the device then. Battery life on .190 is decent, but I've noticed it getting worse and worse as time goes on. Calls sound AWFUL now. It's just garbling and just right now I stopped hearing everything after it switched from GPRS to EDGE during the call...I never had this problem with my iPhone.

Can anyone suggest a GOOD firmware with the least known problems? I don't want to give up on the Bold just yet, but all these issues are really annoying. I also can't even sync with my MBP at all. Pocketmac just hangs.

.234 is simply awesome. I had the same issues the 3g -> edge while making calls. Went to .190 and that *was* slighlty better but had an annoying memory leak I found. Thanks to the 850mhertz switch over and .234 I always have 3g practically at my home(previously it took 5 tries to make a phone call out was on the 3g/edge no mans zone)

I had the exact same experience as the original post. I heartily recommend .234 there seem to be no huge issues and many of the more annoying bugs have been resolved

JGrams 02-24-2009 02:58 AM

I also recommend .234 I have been running on my Bold since the day it was leaked and I have had no problems. I get the best battery life and the least mem leak.
Hope it fixed your probs!

Rhack9 02-25-2009 12:26 AM

Agreed

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpsychox (Post 1294925)
I feel like I shouldn't pay that $39.99 for missing sync when it should work with my mac anyway. I don't understand why RIM provides so little support for Macs.

Agreed. I wish RIM had better support for Macs. That said, I do like Missing Sync. I figured I'd already dropped a ton of cash that I don't have on the phone, so I might as well spend $40 more for it. As I said, the proximity sync is nice for me. I just come home to my apt after work, turn on Bluetooth, and I'm synced up.

Rhack9 02-25-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drpsychox (Post 1296756)
So Rhack9, did a firmware update help you at all?

I haven't done it yet, because I'm on the Mac. I tried to turn on my old Dell the other day, but it has actually crapped the bed once and for all. I'm fairly unfamiliar with the firmware update process, so I'll have to read up before I do it. It sounds like .234 is the one I should go with. Thanks to everyone for help/suggestions.

Rhack9 03-04-2009 09:54 AM

SIM Card Solution?

For those of you out there who are having problems similar to mine...

I went to the AT&T store the other day to complain again about my 3G dropping issue, and I got a guy who seemed to know what's up. First thing he did was pull out the battery and check my SIM card. He noticed that I was still using the original card I got when I joined Cingular 2.5 years ago. It says "3G" on it, but he said that could still be the issue. So he replaced it with a new one, and my 3G issues are virtually gone. It no longer drops to GPRS and EDGE when I initiate calls. Although it sometimes drops to EDGE in areas where I know there is good 3G coverage, it picks up 3G without having to do a reset or battery pull, usually within about 30 minutes. Also, I did not do a firmware update; The only change is the SIM card.

Maybe this is old news to you guys, and you've tried it. But if you're using an old SIM like I was, maybe it'll help you as well.

RAHJR