BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   i went to the other dark side. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=235777)

wabbit 09-11-2010 11:31 AM

i went to the other dark side.

and got a droid.

i like it so far. very customizable. and the widgets rock.

bbm i miss you!

thats all i'm still skeptical on rooting.

Dubdub 09-11-2010 11:32 AM

I bet you will be back.

Which Android device did you get?

wabbit 09-11-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1653800)
I bet you will be back.

Which Android device did you get?

haha yeh i probably will

atm tho i'm using an incredible.

Kumar_Shah 09-11-2010 01:06 PM

I too switched to the dark side, with an Apple IPhone 4. Love the touchscreen part (used Palms and Treos for 15 years) but hate the virtual keyboard. Also love the simple, uncluttered operating system; settings etc. are so logical and easy to customize.

Will try it for a week and if I don't like it at the end of it, will move to a Blackberry Torch.

wabbit 09-11-2010 01:29 PM

only thing i found annoying on my phone is mms. i need to look into this. but i cant send a single picture with out it making a slide show. this is the only annoyance atm.

jsconyers 09-13-2010 10:01 AM

Look at Handscent SMS.

I use the EVO and a BlackBerry.

utgolf 09-13-2010 02:25 PM

I got a DroidX for personal and really like it so far. I still have a Storm2 for work and after using my DroidX I am not thrilled with it.

kathrynhr 09-13-2010 02:59 PM

EVO, rooted, experimental ROM, themed. Took me a while to sort out the best settings for good battery life but now that I have I'm VERY happy. (y)

jsconyers 09-13-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1654452)
EVO, rooted, experimental ROM, themed. Took me a while to sort out the best settings for good battery life but now that I have I'm VERY happy. (y)

Just out of curiosity, what settings do you have?

SugarMouth 09-13-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbit (Post 1653841)
only thing i found annoying on my phone is mms. i need to look into this. but i cant send a single picture with out it making a slide show. this is the only annoyance atm.

Go to the picture you want to send from your Gallery, hit "menu" then "share" then "messaging" and it will attach to a MMS. You will see all the options under "share" as to where you would like to share that picture, Facebook, Picasa, Twitter, Gmail, Evernote, Allshare etc!

wabbit 09-13-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarMouth (Post 1654460)
Go to the picture you want to send from your Gallery, hit "menu" then "share" then "messaging" and it will attach to a MMS. You will see all the options under "share" as to where you would like to share that picture, Facebook, Picasa, Twitter, Gmail, Evernote, Allshare etc!

its the phone, im guessing htc sense, it send pic's but it does show if i send or receive on my phone they are all slideshows.

i need to probably pick up Handscent SMS or a sms/mms app from the market to make get rid of the slideshow on 1 picture.

or actually look into rooting the phone and modding the mms app.

wabbit 09-13-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1654293)
Look at Handscent SMS.

I use the EVO and a BlackBerry.

this fixed it!!!! yay i love you guys!

kathrynhr 09-15-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1654459)
Just out of curiosity, what settings do you have?

Umm, let's see...

ROM: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0
Theme: Riptide9's Glass

Preferred network type: CDMA auto (PRL). (Network app)
Alternating between 3G and WiFi automatically, depending on time of day. (Timeriffic app)
GPS off unless I'm using Google Maps.
Syncing Facebook for HTC Sense contacts only and GMail once per day, weather every hour; manually syncing with a "Sync All" icon if I want an instant update. (I use the regular Facebook app; I sync contacts through HTC's FB app only so that my friends' photos and info show up in the People app.)
Backlight alternates between 75% and 25% depending on time of day. (Timeriffic again)
Airplane mode between 12:30 am and 4:30 am, M-F. (Timeriffic again)
Not using FriendStream, Peep, or any other constantly updating app.
No live wallpaper.
GTalk auto-login disabled.
All Sprint bloatware removed from the phone, courtesy of the Fresh ROM.

I've stopped using JuiceDefender and the OC widget.

The above settings on the above ROM get me through a 12 hour day with average phone, email and texting use, by which I mean contacting somebody in some fashion every hour or so. This, plus an average of 5 hours per workday of listening to my favorite podcasts via Google Listen (screen off), and about an hour on average of recreational use during my car-pool ride (some combination of web browsing, YouTube, Pandora, Beejive chat and/or the NewsRob RSS reader).

After those 12 hours of use, assuming I left home in the morning with a full charge, I arrive back at home with about 35% left.

I will say this: I have 5 full bars of signal strength at work, and at home I'm between two weak cell towers and my signal constantly bounces between them. I get less than half the battery performance at home that I get at work unless I'm attached to our home WiFi network. So your mileage will definitely vary depending upon location.

dc/dc 09-17-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1655185)
Umm, let's see...

ROM: Fresh Evo 3.2.0.0
Theme: Riptide9's Glass

Preferred network type: CDMA auto (PRL). (Network app)
Alternating between 3G and WiFi automatically, depending on time of day. (Timeriffic app)
GPS off unless I'm using Google Maps.
Syncing Facebook for HTC Sense contacts only and GMail once per day, weather every hour; manually syncing with a "Sync All" icon if I want an instant update. (I use the regular Facebook app; I sync contacts through HTC's FB app only so that my friends' photos and info show up in the People app.)
Backlight alternates between 75% and 25% depending on time of day. (Timeriffic again)
Airplane mode between 12:30 am and 4:30 am, M-F. (Timeriffic again)
Not using FriendStream, Peep, or any other constantly updating app.
No live wallpaper.
GTalk auto-login disabled.
All Sprint bloatware removed from the phone, courtesy of the Fresh ROM.

I've stopped using JuiceDefender and the OC widget.

The above settings on the above ROM get me through a 12 hour day with average phone, email and texting use, by which I mean contacting somebody in some fashion every hour or so. This, plus an average of 5 hours per workday of listening to my favorite podcasts via Google Listen (screen off), and about an hour on average of recreational use during my car-pool ride (some combination of web browsing, YouTube, Pandora, Beejive chat and/or the NewsRob RSS reader).

After those 12 hours of use, assuming I left home in the morning with a full charge, I arrive back at home with about 35% left.

I will say this: I have 5 full bars of signal strength at work, and at home I'm between two weak cell towers and my signal constantly bounces between them. I get less than half the battery performance at home that I get at work unless I'm attached to our home WiFi network. So your mileage will definitely vary depending upon location.

That sounds fairly close to what I got from my iPhone 3GS with leaving WiFi off most of the time.

I'm hoping that the HTC Legend I have on the way fares better since I have absolutely no possibility of using 3G in Afghanistan, just GPRS (and occasionally EDGE when I'm in Sharana or Bagram) and WiFi.

wabbit 09-17-2010 08:33 PM

so since all of you semi hijacked my thread, whats some cool stuff for android.

zerog46 09-17-2010 10:20 PM

Drop box. Beautiful widgets. Fruit ninja. Angry birds. Evernote. Set cpu. Spare parts. Real hdmi.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

kathrynhr 09-20-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wabbit (Post 1655939)
so since all of you semi hijacked my thread, whats some cool stuff for android.

8-)

My favorite apps are:

Timeriffic
Google Listen
Google Voice
Smart Shortcuts
Movies
White Noise Lite
Evernote
Adobe Photoshop Express

If you also root your device:

Hulu
Wireless Tether

Best games, IMO:

Bebbled
Gem Miner
Sea Battle

Note: I have an EVO. I don't know how many of these will work on a Droid. I imagine most will.

wabbit 09-21-2010 05:08 PM

thanks guys!!!!!!

wish me luck, uninstalling htc sync to root the phone using unrevoked3...

atm i like drop box, angry birds does not like the droid incredible kinda of a bummer, since i enjoy that game on my ipad.

google voice i have, and going to try smart shortcuts after my rooting.

wabbit 09-21-2010 06:42 PM

so atm i'm rooted and removed almost all of verizon crapware! god i love android.

LunkHead 09-22-2010 02:15 PM

I went to the darkside on the EVO's launch day and have not looked back yet... Rooted, removed all of the Sprint bloatware and loving it.... STILL...