BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   BlackBerry Curve 8520 setup (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=267209)

leftover 03-05-2016 09:07 AM

BlackBerry Curve 8520 setup

does anybody know why, while trying to set up a BlackBerry Curve 8520, I cannot set up an ordinary email address (eg gmail) and there is only one, already selected, item : "I want to use a work email account...BB entreprise server." which doesn't work anyhow?
thank you

NJBlackBerry 03-05-2016 09:21 AM

Re: BlackBerry Curve 8520 setup

Very old BlackBerry devices like the 8520 require a special BlackBerry Internet Service data plan on them. If you want to use it, you have to contact Vodafone and get the BlackBerry Data Plan added.

The 8520 was released almost 6 years ago.

leftover 03-05-2016 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1816717)
Very old BlackBerry devices like the 8520 require a special BlackBerry Internet Service data plan on them. If you want to use it, you have to contact Vodafone and get the BlackBerry Data Plan added.

The 8520 was released almost 6 years ago.

This is the problem, I want to use it mainly on WiFi. However, in the user manual I have:

2. On the email setup screen, select one of the following options:

xxx8226; I want to create or add an email address: This email setup option is most common for individual users. Use this option to associate your BlackBerry® device with one or more (up to ten) existing email addresses (for example, a Google Mailxxx8482; or Windows Livexxx8482; Hotmail® email account) or to create a new email address for your device. To use a social networking application on your device, you must use this option to associate your device with the email address that you use to receive social networking notifications. If this option does not appear, contact your wireless service provider.

xxx8226; I want to use a work email account with a BlackBerry Enterprise Server: This email setup option is most common for corporate users. Use this option to associate your device with a work email account using the BlackBerry® Enterprise Server if your administrator has provided you with an enterprise activation password.2. On the email setup screen, select one of the following options:

I get only the second option and not the first one that I need, and I don't know why? Is there any workaround?
thank you

NJBlackBerry 03-05-2016 01:31 PM

There is no workaround.
In order to use WiFi on the 8520 you must get a specific BlackBerry Data plan on your account. No other way.

knottyrope 03-05-2016 03:22 PM

get the dataplan or it don't work on wifi

leftover 03-05-2016 07:29 PM

btw, is there one BB OS 5 designed for a more recent blackberry device that I could set up on the stupid Curve 8520 and that would make wifi operational. it might loose any other function incl phone, I need just a wifi device.
thank you

NJBlackBerry 03-05-2016 07:41 PM

No. The OS for each BlackBerry is different and just for that model.

You can keep asking, but the only way to get the 8520 to work on WiFi is to get a BlackBerry Data Plan.

leftover 03-06-2016 08:11 AM

Thank you for your kind answers. One last question, I hope.

I am on a prepaid plan and I buy credit very infrequently mainly for maintaining my existence with the carrier. Conversely, I searched the Voda site and there is no special info for Blackberry. Therefore, I presume it is about plain-vanilla data traffic between BB device and the BB site for signing in into BB account with the email address.

As such, the question is: signing in into BB account from BB device is and one-off event or, whenever I use wifi or I make a change I need to have data traffic to the BB site?

In the first case, buying a small credit for signing in is ok for me, otherwise, in the latter, the BB device is crap for me.

thank you

NJBlackBerry 03-06-2016 11:08 AM

You bought the wrong device...

tsac 03-06-2016 06:52 PM

The model you have works like this

8520 to Blackberry servers to carrier servers to receive device or server

Sender to blackberry server to carrier server to 8520

No BB data plan no data.

leftover 03-07-2016 07:28 PM

then, wtf is wifi for?!

tsac 03-07-2016 08:44 PM

Without going into the need carriers have to make money, the features on most smart phones require the carrier to "unlock" various features. some lock data access and some restrict other features.

your trying to get your old phone to work on WIFI. When that phone was manufactured the various security levels and other features demanded by carriers were blocked to maintain security.

You either need a new phone or get a data plan for the one you have but don't be surprised if you need a data plan for any you choose.

One added thought, some carriers do not block a phone that "had" a data plan that unlocked the WIFI ability if the subscriber drops cell service

knottyrope 03-09-2016 09:13 AM

you can browse the web on wifi and maybe use a few apps, thats about it on it unless you have a BlackBerry data plan that allows you to use the BIS Severs.

I still use Pandora on my 9000 Bold on wifi

aiharkness 04-09-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtegalsari (Post 1816995)
BlackBerry allows you to send and receive emails up to 10 supported email accounts. The preparation is easy. You can do this on the computer, or from your smartphone. For owners of the BlackBerry Curve 8520 (y)

Spammer.

You can't use the BlackBerry email app on legacy BlackBerry devices without a BlackBerry data plan. Period.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

tsac 04-11-2016 07:22 PM

At least the Spammer was deleted.