BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   stupid question (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=81779)

i robot 06-17-2007 03:30 PM

stupid question

Hi all, I am just about to ugrade my 7290 to a 8300. I use my BB via work and with my 7290 i never installed any software on my PC as all my contacts, tasks and emails etc were sync wirelessly via works BES. However, my new 8300 with its exciting multi media capabilities is arriving in the next few days and I think I will be needing to make some sort of BB- PC connection for the transfer of media, images and exciting new software themes etc.

Can I install the BB desktop software to manage media and software issues and not interfer with my beautiful wireless BES work setup If so have you any tips???

holden 06-17-2007 03:47 PM

4.2 DM has media manager...

Quote:

Originally Posted by i robot (Post 571608)
Hi all, I am just about to ugrade my 7290 to a 8300. I use my BB via work and with my 7290 i never installed any software on my PC as all my contacts, tasks and emails etc were sync wirelessly via works BES. However, my new 8300 with its exciting multi media capabilities is arriving in the next few days and I think I will be needing to make some sort of BB- PC connection for the transfer of media, images and exciting new software themes etc.

Can I install the BB desktop software to manage media and software issues and not interfer with my beautiful wireless BES work setup If so have you any tips???

Yes,
The 4.2 DM has media manager and a phone migration utility that will allow you to move to the new phone. Also, You may need to Enterprise Activate the new phone once you move the sim card to the new BB.

i robot 06-17-2007 04:14 PM

thanks Holden but my main question is that after my upgrade and activation takes place can I link up my new curve to my pc using the bb desktop software for media and software management and avoid getting into contact syncronisation via the desktop.

DiRN 06-17-2007 06:33 PM

Yes. You just need to configure Desktop Manager not to synchronize. (It's been a while since I've had to install DM, but I believe you actually need to configure it to synchronize, so you'd do nothing in your case.)

i robot 06-18-2007 03:15 AM

Thanks (y)

holden 06-18-2007 06:00 AM

Sync is default....

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiRN (Post 571753)
Yes. You just need to configure Desktop Manager not to synchronize. (It's been a while since I've had to install DM, but I believe you actually need to configure it to synchronize, so you'd do nothing in your case.)

Hi...

The sync is by default. You have to uncheck a check-box so that it does not automatically sync.

Good luck...

Hmeister

CanuckBB 06-18-2007 09:25 AM

Or you could just ask your BES admin for the activation password and do it OTA.

Unless you are trying to do it without IT's knowledge, in wich case, good luck.

i robot 06-27-2007 04:29 PM

Thanks guys. Installed the desktop software and uncheck the sync option. Connected my BB and I am now able to mange my media with roxio.