BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Torch review from 'average business user'. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=240287)

Bushwack 11-20-2010 11:37 AM

Torch review from 'average business user'.

I don't consider myself a 'power' user. I've used BBs for years as a business tool - telephone, address book and calendar. On an average work day I'll exhaust about 70% of battery capacity.

Coming from an 8900 (which was a good BB), it didn't take long to get accustomed to the Torch. Although to this day, no matter how I adjust the sensitivity of the screen, I still accidentally may brush an app I didn't want to use. The Torch always seems to be a millisecond behind of what I direct it to do. But I can say the same thing about my two month old desktop computer. I've had the Torch freeze three times in the first four weeks I've had it requiring a hard re-boot. But at least it re-boots faster then the 8900. And again, I've also had Windows 7 give me problems recently. A couple weeks back I was advised to perform a hard re-boot every few days (I do it during the weekend and mid-week). Since doing so, I haven't had a freeze.

All in all, I find using the Torch more efficient then the 8900. On occasion I may even browse the Internet (which was painfully slow on the 8900). The major downside is having switched to AT&T (here in Los Angeles). With T-Mobile, I may have had two dropped calls in my two years of service (same with Verizon the previous two years). Since my AT&T switch, I average 2-3 calls per day traveling major boulevards throughout Los Angeles. I was warned NOT to switch to AT&T due to the overload usage of cell sites from iPhone users. But who listens to their brother-in-law?! :)

BTW, it does sync seamlessly with MS Outlook and the mainstream apps I use work well. On the other hand, the speaker doesn't project as loud as on the 8900. I'm hoping this is a future software fix.

Bottom line:
Torch - 4 out of 5 stars
AT&T - 2 out of 5 stars

Dubdub 11-20-2010 11:59 AM

Re: Torch review from 'average business user'.

You make some valid points. Occasional battery pulls seem to help any BB perform better.

What OS are you running? Might try either .246 ot the latest one .337 and see if that helps.

Please update your profile to reflect the BB model number and your carrier. I know that the 9800 doesn't run on Verizon.

stoof 11-20-2010 12:04 PM

^ I was going to ask the same thing; have you done anything with the Torch's software? The version that came installed on your phone may be one of the earlier/buggier versions. If you're comfortable with doing software upgrades, I'd highly recommend OS 6.0.337. It's much faster and [in my opinion] improves the responsiveness in the touchscreen.

CB44 11-20-2010 01:29 PM

I agree on the phantom apps popping up. Also sometimes the screen does a 90 degree rotation when I'm not expecting it. But I lock my device more when I'm not using it (It automatically locks after 15 minutes of non-use due to company policy.)

I'm still getting used to the keypad and touchscreen...that's slowing me down, but hopefully that's just a matter of getting use to the smaller keypad.

tsac 11-20-2010 02:05 PM

You might find the at&t service better when Verizon adds the Iphone after January. It is supposed to work on their LTE( 4g) level network.

andyphan72 11-21-2010 11:15 AM

Hi, I'm from Malaysia. Just got my Torch 9800 3 days ago, for being new to BB, swapping from iPhone 3GS. I find the messaging awesome.

I'm on .246 now, can anyone tell me how to upgrade to .337? and whats the advantages of doing that?

tbird57 11-21-2010 11:27 AM

I enjoyed the service better with Cingular. That said, ATT was caught with their pants down with the iphone.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

OVERKILL 11-21-2010 01:02 PM

I'm really enjoying the Torch as well. Got it last Thursday. We've only got two on our BES and in our organization (so far), and migration from previous devices (9000 and 8320) was problem-free.

We've found a couple minor bugs, one of which is that when the other user (not myself) touches an e-mail to open it, sometimes it opens the header for the e-mail selected, but the body for the e-mail below it. A bit irritating. He's on the latest Rogers release, whilst I've upgraded mine to 337, which I may do to his this week, once I've confirmed 337 is an overall improvement via my own testing.

Over the last couple of weeks, I've been able to use a Samsung Galaxy S, an iPhone 4G and of course the Torch back-to-back. It is very interesting to see just how different these devices are from each other, where they shine, and where they don't. For a corporate device, which is what all our BB's are used for; Mail, PIM and phone, the Torch is by far the winner here. For games, I really liked the iPhone, and IMHO, its touch screen is unmatched. For gimicky coolness, I'd say the Android phone wins out there.

I don't find the Torch as "responsive" as the iPhone or the Samsung. I hope this improves in later OS6 releases. Similar to how OS5 was a slow and buggy monster when first released on the BOLD and later OS releases addressed these issues almost completely.

That being said, with the acquisition of QNX.... It will be very interesting to see where RIM goes from here. They have to potential to make an incredibly efficient OS now, without the reliance on Java. But I'm sure any steps in that direction are still a long way off.

Bushwack 11-24-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoof (Post 1675997)
^ I was going to ask the same thing; have you done anything with the Torch's software? The version that came installed on your phone may be one of the earlier/buggier versions. If you're comfortable with doing software upgrades, I'd highly recommend OS 6.0.337. It's much faster and [in my opinion] improves the responsiveness in the touchscreen.

I haven't modified my 9800 and it is running the latest and greatest as of Nov. 15. It is really, really pathetic that after 20+ years of wireless service for mobile phones, AT&T, with a market value of billions upon billions of dollar$, can't get their cell technology in order. I regret leaving T-Mobile but had no choice if I wanted the Torch.

lesarmitage 11-26-2010 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stoof (Post 1675997)

YEP! That works