BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Free Apps (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=187270)

Corte 04-23-2009 03:02 PM

Free Apps

I'm looking for the best source for a comprehensive list of free apps available for Blackberry, if it helps I have using a BB8330 curve with Bell Mobility. I've looked at the LIST but it is incredibly out of date and many of the links don't connect me.

akosnitzky 04-23-2009 08:16 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Look in Blackberry App World.

Aftermarket software in this forum.

fkjr2 04-24-2009 10:13 AM

search - lots of threads

ScooterG 04-24-2009 10:27 AM

3rd Party Application List - BlackBerryFAQ

Corte 04-24-2009 10:38 AM

I have searched here, went through the first few pages of this forum and used google. I certainly found tons of results but few were helpful, most were dated and all were headaches to sift through. That blackberryfaq link is great thanks!

Corte 04-25-2009 01:55 AM

After a few days of scouring I've scavenged the best of available freeware but was wondering if there were opinions on the best freeware for GPS, voicemail and voip long distance.

datl 04-25-2009 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corte (Post 1364653)
After a few days of scouring I've scavenged the best of available freeware but was wondering if there were opinions on the best freeware for GPS, voicemail and voip long distance.

I just found YouMail - a very interesting voicemail app. You sure found it too ;)

Corte 04-25-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by datl (Post 1364949)
I just found YouMail - a very interesting voicemail app. You sure found it too ;)

Sure did, also fusion, vision, simulsays, and others. I was asking for opinions on the best, not whether or not there were any.

akosnitzky 04-26-2009 01:50 PM

I pay 6.99 for You Mail Plus and am very pleased

vito032 04-26-2009 11:23 PM

I really like Youmail

Corte 04-27-2009 04:06 AM

I guess I'll give Youmail a whirl then. Any thoughts on radio, top runners being moodio, flycast or iheartradio. Same question for long distance/voip; voxofon vs bbcalls. Flashlight app; Bilbytorch, Freelight, Extralight.

ScooterG 04-27-2009 07:21 AM

For radio/music, I like Pandora. iheart is ok too. For the flashlight, I use the video camera light on the back of the phone instead of a separate app...it's much brighter.

akosnitzky 04-27-2009 08:56 AM

I agree with Scooter. Pandora is #1 right now

Corte 04-27-2009 10:34 AM

For you yanks maybe! I will start with trying iheartradio and youmail. Think I'll need a micro sd card to utilize the video camera light but I assume it's similar to the camera flash only constant? The long distance/voip thing isn't urgent, just figured I'd test the waters since I'm fiddling with everything else.

ScooterG 04-27-2009 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corte (Post 1366393)
For you yanks maybe! I will start with trying iheartradio and youmail. Think I'll need a micro sd card to utilize the video camera light but I assume it's similar to the camera flash only constant? The long distance/voip thing isn't urgent, just figured I'd test the waters since I'm fiddling with everything else.

Don't know if Slacker or Flycast work across the pond, but might be worth a try for the music thing. Lastfm's forum has a thread with someone working on a client for BB.

Corte 04-28-2009 11:13 AM

So after owning my new device for about a week I believe I have modified it to the best of my ability without help from others or purchasing software. Below I've outlined what I have done, if you feel there are better alternatives to the programs I list or essential apps I am missing please tell me. I haven't settled on is a VoIP/Long Distance app as there is no rush and I'm not certain how to compare them. I also have not found a voicemail app as the popular one, youmail, does not function with my provider.

Device: Blackberry 8330 Curve
Provider: Bell Mobility
Theme: iBerry 1.0

Applications:
GPS - Amazegps
Radio - Iheart - Alternatives: moodio, flycast, pandora(USA)
Flashlight - Bilby Light - Alternatives: berrytorch(n/a 8330), freelight
Weather - BBWeather - Alternatives: Weathereye
eReader - Mobipocket
Brower - Opera Mini - Alternatives: Bolt Browser(beta)
Startup - BBToday
Alarms - MyAlarm
Voice Command - Vlingo
Trapster - Free service for detecting police traps.
Buzzme - Free app that allows for vibe+ring simultanerously.
Free Chronograph/Timer
Berryquery - App for searching most popular berry sites.
Dailyquote - Free quote app.
Quickpull - Free app that simulates a battery reset.
Morseme - Free app that translates messages into morse code and relays using screen.
BBLight - Free app that allows you to manipulate backlight.
Callsblocker - Free app that allows you to block specific numbers or prefixes.

Games:
BBtris - purchased on sale for 2.99 at crackberry.com
Invaders
Pacman
Medieval Chess 2
Sudoku

ScooterG 04-28-2009 11:58 AM

Other you might like:
Xenozu - A YouTube app

Shazam - Identifies songs for you

Yahoo Go - Widgets include Ebay, Wikipedia, Trapster, Facebook, Daily Dilbert, Yelp, YouTube, all the Yahoo stuff, etc, etc, etc. I like it becasue you can have a lot under one app.

kathrynhr 04-28-2009 03:29 PM

In addition to the apps you mentioned, I use the following free apps & games:

Google Maps w/Latitude (GPS/maps)
Google Sync (syncs my Google Calendar with my BB calendar)
Pageonce Assistant (viewing social sites and my bank account balances)
YouVersion Bible (all sorts of versions)
Documents To Go (for viewing Microsoft documents)

Games:
BubblePopper

Corte 04-28-2009 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathrynhr (Post 1367842)
In addition to the apps you mentioned, I use the following free apps & games:

Google Maps w/Latitude (GPS/maps)
Google Sync (syncs my Google Calendar with my BB calendar)
Pageonce Assistant (viewing social sites and my bank account balances)
YouVersion Bible (all sorts of versions)
Documents To Go (for viewing Microsoft documents)

Games:
BubblePopper

I forgot to mention Google Mobile App. Sync isn't necessary, I'm not using desktop organization yet but will consider that if syncing with Outlook isn't appealing in the future. I'm not a social site person and I imagine knowing my bank balances constantly would drive me insane. Documents to go came with the Blackberry so bonus! A bible is not a bad idea and I'll make sure my Google Mobile App is updated with Latitude. Xenozu is a great tip that I'll be sure to try. It's a damn shame sling media won't work my for BB8330. Still curious to find the best long distance/voip and voicemail for me.

MxChris 04-28-2009 09:18 PM

YouVersion is excellent, thanks for mentioning it kathrynhr.

Among others I'm using:
Slacker
Pandora
iheartradio
facebook
YouVersion

The above in particular are very good.

As far as sling goes you can always give Orb.com a try.