BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   BB, no activesynch? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=245001)

troykent 02-16-2011 09:19 AM

BB, no activesynch?

Yes i know there's a third party solution... hear me out though.

I've supported BB's and BES since 4.0, so i'm very familiar with them in corp environments.

However I do work for small companies now and they do not want to nor can they invest in a BES. BIS doesn't synch contacts, cal, and tasks.

So, out of the box Android and iPhone support active synch. We can discuss which one is better at what but at the end of the day getting data from mail/cal/contacts is what is important... so on a BB you either get BES, or buy a third party app.

I'm hearing the same thing from them, they need that ability... their email host offer activesynch so why wouldn't they switch to android or iphone? I'm trying to talk them out of it but i'm starting to agree with them, the BES/BIS model is not a solution for small business.

Dubdub 02-16-2011 09:46 AM

Re: BB, no activesynch?

Use Desktop MAnager to sync contacts, calendar, tasks and memos when connected tot he PC. Google for OTA contact and calendar sync or go to a hosted BES. BTW, Desktop Manager and Google are free.

I don't think the iPhone supports OTA calendar and contact sync unless you are using MobileMe and Android doesn't unless you use Google.

Don't see the problem.

troykent 02-16-2011 10:03 AM

iPhone does have activesynch, so does android.

activesync | Android Central

Apple - iPhone - iPhone in Business

Desktop Manager is not a solution. Who wants to go on business travel and leave a computer running to ensure they keep mail, contacts, cal synched up? better yet, if they only use a laptop and that laptop travels with them? That's a hard sell when two other phones do it without a desktop piece or paying for another service on top of email such as hosted BES. --- This is almost verbatim what two clients have already said to me, because i suggested a hosted BES solution.

BB's are my preferred smart phone solution but now doing consulting I see them through small business owners eyes and realize they are limited in what they can do when you don't have a BES.

I was hoping to find something other than astrasynch but haven't been able too.

troykent 02-16-2011 10:05 AM

Ah... a little reading goes a long way... BES Express..

Now I just need to figure out if it can plug into hosted exchange or if the exchange box needs to be on site.

NJBlackBerry 02-16-2011 10:17 AM

Wow.

jsconyers 02-16-2011 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1701668)
Wow.

QFT

TBOLTRAM 02-16-2011 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1701669)
QFT

Quacking for Tots?

NJBlackBerry 02-16-2011 04:21 PM

Quoted For Truth.

I Googled it.