BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Blackberry Utility Program (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=76403)

DaBlackberryBoy 05-13-2007 02:41 PM

Blackberry Utility Program

Hello all. I wanted to just ask and see if anyone knows of a utility program for BB that does stuff like clear unwanted temp files, clear browser cache, you know basic "cleaning" for the BB. I do this every month or more to clean out my blackberry to gain space, so I dont mind going into all of the options and doing it myself like I do now; just wanted to see if anything was out there like this. Thanks!

jtdarden 05-16-2007 06:00 PM

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

Pull your battery out. Does the same thing (referred to as a hard reset)

fkjr2 05-16-2007 10:07 PM

on that note, why does the pearl take so long to restart after a battery pull?>

Mine takes up to a minute or more to get to the home screen!

zero7404 05-16-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkjr2 (Post 538741)
on that note, why does the pearl take so long to restart after a battery pull?>

Mine takes up to a minute or more to get to the home screen!

just a minute ? did u compare that to starting up windows on a pc ?

on topic, there must be imbedded messages/system logs that a battery pull doesn't clear....if so it would be cool to have a utility to wipe those....

fkjr2 05-16-2007 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakman74 (Post 538743)
just a minute ? did u compare that to starting up windows on a pc ?

on topic, there must be imbedded messages/system logs that a battery pull doesn't clear....if so it would be cool to have a utility to wipe those....

um, this is a mobile phone not a desktop computer system! It shouldnt take that long!

jtdarden 05-16-2007 11:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (8703e Sprint: BlackBerry8703e/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/104)

The 2-3 minutes on a battery pull is standard for a BB device.

There are no apps that I know of to clear logs (when you say message logs, I am going to assume you mean call logs).

Another pretty easy way to clear call logs is to use the desktop manager, choose Backup, then Select advanced and from the right pane choose call logs and click clear. You could also clear out other memory hogs that you do not want in this similar way.

BTW: this is not 'just a mobile phone'. If you take a typical mobile phone (let's say a RAZR) and do a security reset, which is about the same as a battery pull, it takes about as long.

adwiv 05-17-2007 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkjr2 (Post 538749)
um, this is a mobile phone not a desktop computer system! It shouldnt take that long!

15 years back, desktop computers with similar processing power and similar memory took similar time to boot and did similar things.

If you want fast boot time, try a "real mobile phone" like a $50 nokia phone :D

JSanders 05-17-2007 07:42 AM

You can clear the logs on your BB by typing on the homescreen: hold down ALT while typing L G L G. The log will appear, click and clear.

zero7404 05-17-2007 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fkjr2 (Post 538749)

and why is it that you can't wait 1 minute ? there are 1440 of them in a day.....

DaBlackberryBoy 05-17-2007 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBlackberryBoy (Post 535536)
Hello all. I wanted to just ask and see if anyone knows of a utility program for BB that does stuff like clear unwanted temp files, clear browser cache, you know basic "cleaning" for the BB. I do this every month or more to clean out my blackberry to gain space, so I dont mind going into all of the options and doing it myself like I do now; just wanted to see if anything was out there like this. Thanks!

I guess I was not clear...I am aware of how to clean up the blackberry, but just did not know if anyone was clever enough to package something into an application that would do it for us. I have decided that I might try to write something to do this for the BB, maybe even experiment more and write some apps for the BB...

fkjr2 05-18-2007 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 538976)
You can clear the logs on your BB by typing on the homescreen: hold down ALT while typing L G L G. The log will appear, click and clear.

what will this do exactly? Will current task and caledar alarms be ok and still run?

fkjr2 05-18-2007 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sakman74 (Post 539011)
and why is it that you can't wait 1 minute ? there are 1440 of them in a day.....

as a matter of fact, my minutes are quite precious these days....:?