BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Bluetooth Connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluetooth Folding Keyboard - Now Becoming Possible! [Preorder] (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=24394)

Mark Rejhon 08-31-2004 05:13 PM

Bluetooth Folding Keyboard - Now Becoming Possible! [Preorder]

Quote:

EDIT: As of May 2005, a Bluetooth keyboard model from a competitor is now available for preorder here. One of the sponsors of this site will probably be carrying this model as well, keep tuned.

Now that Bluetooth keyboard has become available by a competitor for BlackBerry, let's help ThinkOutside consider writing a Bluetooth driver.

To help things, please post replies in these threads at ThinkOutside's forums:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=9&tid=935
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=610
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=934

If you want a ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard, go click and post a reply at these links!
Check out Bluetooth Stowaway XT.

CC: ThinkOutside Partners [email address]
CC: RIM Suggestions Box [email address]
[email address]
[email address]

http://www.thinkoutside.com/images/S...tatur_b240.gif
(There is the Bluetooth version of this exact same keyboard of exact same model)

This is the world's smallest touchtypeable Bluetooth keyboard, full size 19 millimeter keys, and works well with iPaq's and some models of cellphones (Symbian). I am considering getting this for use with my iPaq and laptop, as well as home use, since I can reuse this keyboard on several of my existing Bluetooth enabled devices. It would be nice if I could use it with the upcoming 7290 too!

I am hoping that RIM will permit the Bluetooth in the 7290 to work with other accessories such as this one. If RIM reads this, please make sure that it's technically possible/easy for ThinkOutside to write a Bluetooth Blackberry 7290 driver, perhaps with the help of RIM.
:D

I should add, that ThinkOutside made a keyboard for older 85X/95X units, but that was during the days when there were only 20,000 to 50,000 Blackberries. I would like to note to ThinkOutside that Blackberries now sell over 1,000,000 annually now, which means a much bigger market. I am just noting this, to prevent discouragement that ThinkOutside might have had because the small market of 85X/95X likely prevented ThinkOutside from considering making a keyboard for Blackberry model 6210. Since the Bluetooth keyboard now exists, this is now likely just a simple matter of a software driver that both RIM and ThinkOutside needs to collaborate on!

I own a Stowaway XT (non-Bluetooth) and they are pretty handy for the occasoinal need for a full size keyboard for longer messages on my iPaq. But as I now use my Blackberry, and even though I can thumbtouchtype very fast, I can type on a full size keyboard even faster.

This is useful for the occasional super-long email (5,000 character plus league) that's a bit of a chore on a thumb keyboard. Thumb keyboards are amazing for all the short stuff though! It's just nice to occasoinally whip out a full size keyboard without bringing around a laptop! Definitely, I prefer the thumb keyboard for most short message stuff, but a full size keyboard is handy for the large marathon emails!

Numerous inquiries have continually popped up from time to time about whether it is possible to attach a keyboard to the Blackberry, so there is evidently demand out there (and much more so today!).

Blackberry 7290 already has Bluetooth, AND a Bluetooth keyboard exist. So, this may even just entail a mere few hours of software development work, and reap dividends in goodwill by users of both companies, and push more units of sales for both companies. Also gives people more reason to upgrade to the Blackberry 7290 too rather than making do with existing Blackberries too, as I am not interested in Bluetooth headsets but would be in the full size keyboard.

I encourage RIM and ThinkOutside to collaborate to make sure that developments are made to make sure the Bluetooth keyboard functions on the Blackberry. A copy of this message was sent to ThinkOutside Partners <partners(at)thinkoutside.com> and to the RIM Suggestions Box <bbsuggestons(at)rim.net>. Perhaps you two might be busy with other products but you two might as well start contacting each other and investigating the feasibility of at least a simple Stowaway Bluetooth keyboard driver reasonably early in the product life of the Bluetooth Blackberry 7290!

There are other Bluetooth keyboards, but this is the most portable one because it fits comfortably in my pocket (I have the iPaq version of this exact same keyboard) and I can touchtype just as fast on it as a laptop, since the keys are full size 19mm key pitch.

Mark Rejhon 08-31-2004 10:50 PM

http://www.thinkoutside.com/images/p...uzz256_new.gif

To other people reading this thread, please post your message indicating your interest in this keyboard.

Remember: You can reuse this keyboard on multiple Bluetooth compatible devices, including an iPaq, a Symbian phone, or even a plain laptop/desktop Bluetooth dongle to use as a cordless keyboard to use from a sofa too (for living room media computers, jukebox remote control, etc). The addition of 7290 support would no doubt cause extra further interest in this tiny keyboard.

Keyboard review #1
Keyboard Review #2

This keyboard fully implements the Bluetooth HID profile (generic keyboard protocol); so all RIM would need need is to write a standardized Bluetooth HID keyboard driver. Since this is a plain vanilla protocol, it is worth investigating if this is something simple that can be done in one night by a single computer programmer to make it work wth the 7290!

kirson 09-01-2004 04:51 AM

I would be extremely interested in such a keyboard.

Mark, do you know if this keyboard has a Bluetooth for non-Bluetooth variation? You know, something like the BT200 by Jabra, with a BT dongle. Or is this a goofy idea, as the only place the dongle could attach is the headphone jack?

Ian

Mark Rejhon 09-01-2004 02:59 PM

Dunlop on RIMROAD says:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunlop
BT enabled accessories are compatible with the upcomming models. More information will be posted on blackberry website. Please check back soon for updates.

However, in the meantime until this is definitively confirmed, please feel free to post a reply saying that you're interested in using an external keyboard with the Blackberry!

d123456 09-02-2004 07:04 PM

i would love to have a keyboard that i could attach to my blackberry. please RIM allow this to happen!!!!

Dave

Mark Rejhon 09-08-2004 04:37 PM

The BlackBerry Charm (model 7100t) has now been announced with BlueTooth. This is yet another BlackBerry handheld that would benefit from the use of this keyboard!

kirson 09-08-2004 04:43 PM

Mark,

I read that the 7100t bluetooth will work with headset and car kits. Does this mean that it will ONLY support headset and car kits, or is it likely that it will automatically support devices such as this keyboard?

Mark Rejhon 09-08-2004 06:29 PM

That's what I am trying to find out, and worrying about. And whether if it is already supported or not? It should be a simple matter as a software driver (generic Bluetooth HID keyboards) to support keyboards.

Some people may say it is security concerns of tapping into wireless signals. But there should be absolutely no security differences between headsets and keyboards (It's simply wireless sound versus wireless keypresses, encrypted equally in the same way with BlueTooth) and meaning, no reason for RIM not to support Bluetooth keyboards;

It is wonderfully convenient for those occasional marathon mammoth-sized emails, and provides yet another reason to leave that laptop behind. :D

kirson 09-08-2004 06:51 PM

Combined with the greater amount of memory on the 7100, this could actually replace my laptop on many trips.

Mark Rejhon 09-08-2004 07:12 PM

Yep, there are advantages:
  • Use for those occasional marathon emails that need more than the thumb keyboard;
  • Create Word and Excel documents directly on BlackBerry using eOffice software;
  • Pocketable; keyboard folds to same size as a BlackBerry when folded;
  • Spontaneous; it's optional; you can use it only when you feel like a bigger keyboard that can be touchtyped on;
  • Another reason to leave laptop behind;

Skive 09-08-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirson
I read that the 7100t bluetooth will work with headset and car kits. Does this mean that it will ONLY support headset and car kits, or is it likely that it will automatically support devices such as this keyboard?

It means that with the initial release of the bt-enabled blackberries they will only support headsets, who can tell what they will support in the future, but personally i'd expect support for modem via bt before something like this, it doesn't expect anyone to buy a 3rd party peripheral and al their customers will already have that modem.

Mark Rejhon 09-08-2004 09:30 PM

True. But different markets for different people. And different tools for different moments. An insider at my carrier thinks it's a good idea. Perhaps it may not be there initially, but be introduced a little bit later on. Hopefully as a mere software upgrade, or at the minimum, considreation in the manufacture of future models.

I am making sure RIM and ThinkOutside are talking to each other. Or at least make them THINK about it. :D

Skive 09-08-2004 09:40 PM

I don't doubt that they will get something out eventually, I just wouldn't expect support for any new hardware before 4.1 (or whatever the first service release gets called) and that the modem will definitely be one of the first things to get supported.

In reality, you'd expect something like a keyboard driver to get included at some point as well though, it'll be interesting to see what else gets added in time, aren't there some printers that also support bluetooth out there?

Mark Rejhon 09-08-2004 09:52 PM

There are stability considerations too. They don't want the Bluetooth Berries to be like a bloated 7750. I'm sure that waiting till 4.1 is probably a prudent move to shake out 4.0 first in the market. I'm making sure they didn't forget about the possibility of keyboards!
:D

Right tool for the moment -- I'll expand on that. It also relates personally, since I am deaf, and keyboards are the main method of communication. I still often carry around my iPaq sometimes only just because of compatibility of full size keyboard. If I carry around the laptop, I don't need the folding keyboard, but when I go to restaurants and such, and talk to my significant other, or something, I find communication to be faster on a full size keyboard than spoken speech which must be worded carefully and spoken slowly. And it's hard for me to lipread others. (I type faster than I can speak clearly -- 132 WPM with 97% accuracy in a recent test at http://www.typingtest.com Huckleberry Finn 1-minute test paragraph). So if I am doing business travel or travelling on the train between cities, I will bring the laptop. (And that is where BlackberryModem comes in). But if I am socializing with friends or significant other, then I use my iPaq with the folding keyboard to type back and fourth. I can put iPaq in left pocket and keyboard in right pocket. Complete discreet concealment cannot be done with a laptop. More information on my hearing impairment at the marky.com site. Anyway, now you know what I mean about the right tool for the right moment. Most will just stick to one (ie laptop) and desire BlackBerryModem, while others prefer leaving laptop behind and just bringing a PDA and keyboard (ie ThinkOutside folding keyboard). A select few would use both for the right tool at the right moment (like me).

Badgermac 09-09-2004 04:25 AM

A fullsize or larger keyboard would be fantasic!

Mark Rejhon 09-16-2004 07:13 PM

Someone mentioned a company working on a Bluetooth GPS navigation system (using an external Bluetooth GPS) for the 7100 series. If this is true, this may indicate that RIM is planning to allow BlackBerries to work with third-party Bluetooth accessories. Perhaps only supporting headsets in the OS, but allowing third parties to develop support for third party Bluetooth accessories?

Can anyone clarify RIM's plans for allowing third party support of Bluetooth peripherals such as keyboards and external GPS units?

Skive 09-16-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
Can anyone clarify RIM's plans for allowing third party support of Bluetooth peripherals such as keyboards and external GPS units?

RIM :)

Mark Rejhon 09-24-2004 04:22 AM

Nokia is bragging about support for Bluetooth keyboards now:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18646

I would urge RIM to consider support as soon as pratically possible for folding Bluetooth keyboards!!! :) Now that the 7100t competes directly against similiar cellphones...

cyberhh 09-27-2004 05:47 PM

I would love to see this supported on the blackberry, however RIM has expressed concerns over the security holes in the bluetooth protocol and as such has descided to make the device only work with headsets. For those of you who do not know a group of "hackers" as a proof of concept were able to hack a bluetooth phone from over 2km without using any information on the phone at all, just from the exploits found in bluetooth.

When your phone has the ability to be hijaaked remotely we have a problem, but when your enterprise tool can be hijaaked from over a mile away we have a HUGE security issue and since RIM is after the enterprise customer (a very security minded group - at least on paper) they need to cater to their wishes.

Mark Rejhon 09-27-2004 06:49 PM

Yes, GOOD REASON BUT what's the security difference between bluejacking a headset versus bluejacking a keyboard? (i.e. equally difficult) Don't they have the same strong encryption now available?

Is there something about Bluetooth I don't know that reveals a security difference between a headset and a keyboard?

Isn't bluejacking a concern mainly only for addressbooks? You don't need to enable the addressbook to safely enable keyboard support...
RIM can just keep bluetooth addressbook permanently disabled;

Also, the BlackBerry technically supports Bluetooth keyboards -- it's just a software upgrade --just see this Bluetooth.Org webpage saying serial profiles are supported, required by bluetooth keyboards...

lgordon 10-04-2004 08:09 PM

I'm Interested!

Hello All! I 'm new to the Blackberry and Blackberry forums. I would be interested in a BT keyboard for my 7100t. :wink:

Mark Rejhon 11-04-2004 09:21 PM

JPF 11-05-2004 12:01 AM

rcg 11-05-2004 12:47 AM

New York Jet 11-09-2004 08:34 AM

Mark Rejhon 11-10-2004 11:15 PM

headtailgrep 11-11-2004 01:31 AM

buckZor 11-11-2004 01:46 AM

Mark Rejhon 11-12-2004 12:56 AM

Mark Rejhon 11-18-2004 07:10 AM

Mark Rejhon 11-25-2004 07:59 PM

dapope 11-28-2004 03:44 AM

Mark Rejhon 11-29-2004 05:44 AM

jefferyds 11-30-2004 06:33 PM

Mark Rejhon 12-09-2004 04:33 AM

Mark Rejhon 01-11-2005 09:50 PM

There's some good news. I was told by about 2 different sources that Bluetooth stack would be opened up sometime in mid-2005. (Albiet with a BES option to turn off Bluetooth features, for security reasons). This could make a Bluetooth keyboard driver pratical.

nextelnutt 01-23-2005 04:22 AM

Keyboard Today...

I would also like to see the Keyboard option for Bluetooth for the BlackBerry.

I would also like to thank for all the great information he has posted on this website. I would have to say I have learned more from him than anybody else.

The typing test is great. I have wonder how fast and well I could type, but didn't know where to look. With the info he shared. I now know I am only about 100 words a minute slower than him. I don't even think I can think a 132 words a minute. Oh well, I will practice.

Thanks again, Nextelnutt

(y)

nextelnutt 01-23-2005 04:23 AM

Opps

After typing all that. I forgot to copy his name into my posting. Here it is.

Mark Rejhon

(y)

Mark Rejhon 01-27-2005 02:56 AM

You're welcome!

In regards to how fast someone can think, in terms of words. I'm more-or-less an above-average speedreader at about 700 WPM. The pros can do about 1000-1200 WPM or better. There are speed reading tests on the Internet, that will help determine how many WPM you can read, which is probably more or less the WPM that you can "think". :D

brufi 03-05-2005 09:57 PM

external keyboard would just be great!

I have been an longtime user of thinkoutside keyboards through all of m Palm generations (just counted, still 5 keyboards available, from Palm III form-factor through 505 to T3 and IR keyboard.

I´d LOVE to have my BB with fullsize but would need quertz driver if somehow possible.

I´d upgrade from 7230 to 7290 the minute the keybord would be available.

brufi

rdalemercer 03-06-2005 02:33 AM

Mark,
What's the difference between allowing bluetooth keyboard "transmissions" and OBEX that would allow us to see the called NAME ID via the Bluetooth stack?

Dale.

denaliman 03-18-2005 08:32 PM

I am new to this forum as well. I would love to see a keyboard for the 7100r.

Mark Rejhon 03-19-2005 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdalemercer
Mark,
What's the difference between allowing bluetooth keyboard "transmissions" and OBEX that would allow us to see the called NAME ID via the Bluetooth stack?

Dale.

That's a good question. I'm still trying to find out what's the security difference between keyboard transmissions and headset transmissions.

I don't think it's easier to snoop encrypted keyboard transmissions than snooping encrypted headset transmissions. I really would like to see RIM enable the "Keyboard HID" profile sometime this summer 2005, if possible.

sharpycl 03-20-2005 09:28 PM

I would definately like to have a bluetooth compatable keyboard for my BB 7290. Even though it already has a keyboard, I could type out memos and IM while on the go much faster with a keyboard.

Please RIM, make this happen.8-)

Coupdetat 03-20-2005 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirson
Combined with the greater amount of memory on the 7100, this could actually replace my laptop on many trips.

Same, although I have a 7520.

I am getting good at thumb typing on the go (stoplights provide just enough time to reply to a few emails) it would be nice to have a full keyboard on trips.

Mark Rejhon 03-21-2005 03:30 AM

Let's keep requesting now and then, this is a useful addition to BlackBerries. Eventually, RIM will have to enable the keyboard HID driver when it's 100% proven that there are no security differences to a bluetooth headset. And RIM can add a BES option to remotely disables Bluetooth, if the government customers of BlackBerry are still concerned about Bluetooth security...

Please click below to post your request that a Bluetooth keyboard driver be developed:

Post your request that a BlackBerry driver for Bluetooth keyboards be developed!

Zro 03-23-2005 05:18 AM

It is a possibility that they may enable it, BUT, I highly doubt it. The huge security risk here is with our good friend the password. Someone sees you unfolding your keyboard, they start doing some packet capturing or sniffing or whatever, you type your password, and away you go.

What if they mate thier Bluetooth keyboard to your BlackBerry (you just finished typing an email and are putting it back into your pocket) and they pull out thier keyboard, and start typing an email...

If the Bluetooth keyboard can control the BlackBerry, then it has to have some sort of data communications, hard to isolate one section that is (or isn't) allowed bluetooth control.

And the last point i'm going to say...Look at how many headsets don't work...every manufacturer goes with thier own implimentation of Bluetooth (it's a hugely varying standard) but the BlackBerry goes with the strictest sense of the standard...the more a company deviates to the other end of that standard, the less likely that it will work with the BlackBerry.

There is an option on the BlackBerry Enterprise Server to disable Bluetooth...it's done through an IT policy.

Zro

Mark Rejhon 03-24-2005 02:50 AM

Isn't the Bluetooth transmissions encrypted?

Aren't headsets equally a security risk (recording private conversations?)

Is it easier to snoop on keyboard transmissions than snoop on headset transmissions?
Or are they equally encrypted?

It's true there's a security risk of someone watching someone enter a password, but that can also be done by watching the thumbtyping too.... although it's easier to conceal your thumb typing...

But speaking of transmissions, are keyboard transmissions encrypted just like headset transmissions, making both equally difficult to "sniff"?

mmcpher 04-15-2005 02:36 AM

Bluetooth Keyboard

7100g user who would also love to see a Bluetooth external keyboard

Mark McPherson

Mark Rejhon 04-18-2005 10:21 PM

For RIM and ThinkOutside staff monitoring this thread (I've sent them emails to remind them)...

I've been enjoying my Bluetooth keyboard with my iPaq.

When can I use my Bluetooth keyboard with my BlackBerry?

jdh 04-19-2005 02:06 AM

Quote:

Isn't the Bluetooth transmissions encrypted?

The greatest Bluetooth security concern is with OBEX, the object exchange protocol, since it allows data to be transmitted to/from the BB across Bluetooth, which seems to be functionality that RIM is trying to avoid... Hence the lack of an IR port, which would effectively support the same data transfer functionality... Realistically, RIM seems to want to ensure that the only way to transfer actual data to/from the BB is via the TCP/IP stack (until recently, strictly through a BES).

Currently, a BES IT Policy will allow Bluetooth to be disabled completely, or only certain functions of BT to be disabled (ie, Headset Profile, Handsfree Profile, Serial Port Profile, etc). There is no reason that the "Keyboard Profile" could not be added to this policy for those corporate customers who are concerned.

BT communications are (or can be) encrypted, whether via a headset or a keyboard, so the risk of interception is probably about equal with either device (ie, very slim).

The greater possible security concern with a keyboard, however, would be "bluejacking"... Somebody taking control of your BB via their own BT keyboard. This is a non-issue with a headset, since you can't actually control a BB from a headset.

However, devices are normally only susceptible to bluejacking due to flaws in the devices themselves, so I'm sure that RIM could build a secure solution... It might just take some more R&D time and certification to be able to justify implementing the HID profile. (For more information on various Bluetooth attacks and the devices that are vulnerable to them, there's a good article that can be found at http://www.thebunker.net/security/bluetooth.htm )

All in all, I too would very much like to see BT keyboard support on my 7290. Lack of an external keyboard is something I miss from my Palm T3.

ScOObydoo 04-23-2005 05:17 PM

My wife just got one of these keyboards, and they DO support encrypted transmissions. If Thinkoutside were to make a driver that would only support encrypted bonds then the whole security issue is down the drain...

eddively 04-23-2005 07:20 PM

my 1st post...i would pay good money for a BT keyboard...
is there any included typing software you could use without buying the Office-type 3rd party apps?

Pharma 04-29-2005 06:09 PM

I bought the ThinkOutside keyboard when the 7100 first came out, but now it's just an expensive paperweight on my desk at home. Hopefully some day, then maybe I'll actually start using my 7100 again, oh wait, not until I can actually hear on it..lol

dulcamara 04-29-2005 06:15 PM

I'd buy a BT keyboard

I got the 7100g to so I could take my laptop on fewer trips. The keyboard would make it still fewer.

Mark Rejhon 04-29-2005 07:35 PM

I'd be happy with just limited Bluetooth keyboard functionality -- i.e. working only in a dedicated editor that the keyboard is permitted to work with. Then I can use the BlackBerry itself to copy and paste into an email, or another application.

That way, there's absolutely no security issues of somebody stealing your Bluetooth keyboard and then trying to control your BlackBerry remotely.

skywriter 05-05-2005 12:19 AM

i want ot USE a bluetooth keyboard on my 7290; a freedom keyboard. i use it on my SP3i fantastically, and would continue to use except our IT department allows blackberrys. i want to be effective like the SP3i!

Thanks!
John

Don Carter 05-11-2005 03:44 PM

Keyboard for the 7100r

Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of peripheral keyboard available that is compatible with the 7100r?

spblat 05-12-2005 04:26 AM

Here's another expression of interest in a BT keyboard, even one that's limited such that it only works in the memopad.

ScOObydoo 05-12-2005 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Carter
Can anyone tell me if there is any kind of peripheral keyboard available that is compatible with the 7100r?

No. There are no keyboards for ANY current Blackberry models.

Mark Rejhon 05-18-2005 10:05 PM

A keyboard has now been announced:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=8510

i robot 05-20-2005 07:48 PM

Hi I use the thinkoutside keyboard with my Dell Axim X30. It's really fantastic and I would love to be able to use it when I purchase my 7100v tomorrow

Mark Rejhon 05-24-2005 08:06 PM

Now that Bluetooth keyboard has become available by a competitor for BlackBerry, let's help ThinkOutside consider writing a Bluetooth driver.

I have also already posted messages on ThinkOutside's forums. To help things, please post replies in these threads at ThinkOutside's forums:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=610
http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...&fid=5&tid=934

If you want a ThinkOutside Bluetooth keyboard, go click and post a reply at these links!

Claire Bear 05-28-2005 11:34 PM

Quote:

i want ot USE a bluetooth keyboard on my 7290; a freedom keyboard. i use it on my SP3i fantastically, and would continue to use except our IT department allows blackberrys. i want to be effective like the SP3i!
The Freedom Bluetooth Keyboard is now BB compatible!

www.blackberrykeyboard.com

Mark Rejhon 05-29-2005 02:06 AM

Claire Bear,

You may wish to buy a sponsorship. It is usually a policy that it is okay to announce a new product once (with reasonable forum guidelines) -- but to keep marketing a product, it is necessary to buy a sponsored ad banner on this website. Please contact me to get Tom/adbanner contact information.

Just so you know!

brufi 06-04-2005 07:18 PM

Any news on BB Bluetooth Keyboard?

mauiboy 06-07-2005 09:19 PM

check the guys at My Mobile Gear. www.mymobilegear.com I've been beta testing their keyboard for a few days and so far no regrets on my purchase.

rcg 06-08-2005 07:06 PM

We have the Freedom units available

http://store.bizshopr.com/frebtkey.html

Don Carter 06-08-2005 07:35 PM

Do you ship to Canada? Your form won't accept a Canadian address

MarkF 06-22-2005 04:07 PM

I can't get my freedom keyboard to install properly. I was able to download the bbdrivers file, rename the extension to .exe and run it but App Loader can't find the files that I'm assuming that exe installed. Any ideas? Anyone actually able to get this installed correctly?

tsquare 06-22-2005 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mauiboy
check the guys at My Mobile Gear. www.mymobilegear.com I've been beta testing their keyboard for a few days and so far no regrets on my purchase.

I've installed the Smart Keyboard from mobile gear and it works on Cingular 7290. It takes some getting use to the key board. I still can't figure out why if I type "r" i can't reply to a message otherwise I can see that this will be very useful. It comes with a built in holder for the BB; however depending on your light situation unless you turn on the backlighting you'd be better off laying it to one side.

tsquare 06-23-2005 12:02 AM

If the Freedom keyboard uses the Xema drivers then you don't rename the file extension. When you use the app loader and go to the directory with the file it should automatically recognize it with the native extension-at least that's how the mobilegear SmartKeyboard Xena drivers work. Again if they are the same drivers and assuming they follow the same install procedures the trick is then to go to the bluetooth settings and add the device. The pairing key is 0000. Then you would need to go into the device setup and enter your individual registration code. After that the trick is to then setup your keyboard settings. I took me a while to figure out why I couldn't escape from the setup in the BB. You have to chose close ... you cannot use the BB escape button.

brufi 06-25-2005 10:22 PM

how to install Freedom

Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkF
I can't get my freedom keyboard to install properly. I was able to download the bbdrivers file, rename the extension to .exe and run it but App Loader can't find the files that I'm assuming that exe installed. Any ideas? Anyone actually able to get this installed correctly?

Your find the driver for upload in a subfolder under your c:\programs
where freedom installs them without giving a previous hint

yrboij 08-10-2005 12:56 PM

The new Freedom Keyboard drivers (1.70) are a _gigantic_ improvement over the previous ones. Delay is significantly reduced. The keyboard still repeats too quickly for my tastes, even at the lowest setting, but is much more useful.

7100r user 09-03-2005 04:20 PM

Can I use BT Keyboard and Headset at the same time on my BB?

Hello, I am new to this forum. Sorry if I post a question that has been answered before. Please bear with me.

I'm on the phone quite often on my 7100r and thus have recently bought a Bluetooth headset (Flamingo). They work perfectly well together. Also, because of the number and length of the messages I have to send on my BB, I am considering buying a bluetooth keyboard.

Can these 2 bluetooth devices work at the same time with my 7100r?

One scenario would be doing a conference call on my BB with my BT headset, and at the same time dictating notes and minutes of meeting on a BT keyboard.

Any advise or suggestions will be much appreciated.

Thx.

johnrmeyer 10-23-2005 05:45 AM

Doesn't really work with the new T-Mobile Blackberry 7290

The bluetooth Freedom Keyboard doesn't work with the new T-Mobile Blackberry 7290. This according to my latest tech support call.

DavidE 10-23-2005 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnrmeyer
The bluetooth Freedom Keyboard doesn't work with the new T-Mobile Blackberry 7290. This according to my latest tech support call.

I have a Freedom keyboard, and it works with my T-Mobile 7290.

DavidE
www.davidenglish.com

Sprout 10-28-2005 06:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Regarding Stowaway compatibility, I found the following thread in the Think Outside forums:

...describing Think Outside's attitude towards Serial Port Drivers. ("We're waiting on RIM.")

I then posted this request and crossposted it in the Suggestions forum:

http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...fid=5&tid=1848

The forums are almost void of Blackberry support requests, and I'm afraid that Think Outside might gauge interest by the amount of forum traffic. So head on over! Show your support by loading the page and/or commenting!

By the time RIM declares the HID profile to be perfectly secure, (and thus usable,) most of us will have great grandchildren. Think Outside could develop the drivers and the firmware and be avalanched with orders.

After all, Freedom decided it would be profitable to develop a late-comer, less-functional keyboard than the Stowaway whose only selling point is that it works with Blackberry. Think Outside already has the hardware; if they could just write the code they could take in 90% of Freedom's revenue without even having to pay for tooling or manufacturing.

Wouldn't you order one?

Cheers!

Brian

bigolyt 10-28-2005 07:38 PM

I just got the 7100i and a freedom keyboard. It was somewhat a pain to install, but I got it to "work" so to speak. I can use the HOME and FN keys with a number but nothing else?? Anyone else have this problem?

Sprout 10-28-2005 10:11 PM

Interestingly, someone has replied stating that the Think Outside Bluetooth Serial profile driver is due out in November.

Someone from here perhaps? Sound reasonable, coming from a non-admin user? I guess we'll see if the Think Outside forum admins take any action...

http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/...&fid=5&tid=1848

Sprout 10-31-2005 05:22 PM

Wow! A Think Outside beta tester has posted to their forum that a Serial profile Stowaway for Blackberry is due out this month! If it were false, wouldn't the mods have removed it by now??

All you Freedom keyboard would-be purchasers: another option may well be in sight!

http://www.thinkoutside.com/forums/t...fid=5&tid=1848

jjoyner 10-31-2005 07:47 PM

Folding keyboard already???

(y) Ebay bluetooth keyboard....

Sprout 10-31-2005 08:40 PM

...that's the Freedom one I mentioned

BadBoyBill 11-10-2005 06:34 AM

I think they keyboard will rock. Some days i wonder anymore if im faster on my pc keyboard or they qwert on my bb.

berry_boy 11-11-2005 08:44 PM

I found this new site, http://www.bluekeyboard.com . The keyboard is now distributed by Xema. There are new software drivers available for the Blackberry.

Mark Rejhon 11-24-2005 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i robot
I got this email from 'Thinkoutside' regarding a new bluetooth keyboard

Thank you for your inquiry's regarding a Bluetooth Keyboard specific to RIM devices.

Think Outside has announced the Bluetooth Keyboard for RIM Devices.

Press Release
http://www.thinkoutside.com/press.asp?y=2005&t=PR

This device is now available to Pre-Order. Details and Compatibility can be found here:
http://www.thinkoutside.com/products...t_product.html

Please let me know if we can be of any assistance.

The links are credible

At first glance, it looks like just another clone of the Freedom Keyboard/MyMobileGear keyboard.

However, upon close inspection, it is a totally different keyboard, it uses bigger keys, a smaller bezel, and a different latching mechanism at the left/right, and there is no ON/OFF switch (the hinge is now the switch, like the other keyboard products)

It looks like this mey actually be a really good keyboard - I look forward to getting one of these, especially if the keys feel as good as a Thinkpad/DELL laptop just like the other excellent ThinkOutside keyboards. And I hope that the drivers are excellent. That would be the most important thing for me!

greenhairedcheese 12-28-2005 03:07 PM

I would greatly appreciate an external bluetooth keyboard. I have a 7105t and I use MSN Messenger quite often, and my friends complain that I type slow. That may not be the fault of the key-pad--maybe it's the server--regardless, that BT keyboard would be an excellent purchace!
A little side-note, is there a free download of an MSN compatible IM, that does NOT use a server, in turn making message turn-over a lot faster??

I reviewed the links posted above, and the compatibility for that keyboard didn't match my device, it worked for what seemed loke all the 71XX series devices. . .is there one available for the 7105t? or have I not looked hard enough?

Thanks a whole lot.

greenhairedcheese 12-28-2005 03:09 PM

*N-M*

Blackberry fiend 12-30-2005 03:19 AM

The Think Outside Shasta keyboard does not work with the Blackberry 7130e, according to the company. They might need some encouragement ...

Bradhar911 01-18-2006 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigolyt
I just got the 7100i and a freedom keyboard. It was somewhat a pain to install, but I got it to "work" so to speak. I can use the HOME and FN keys with a number but nothing else?? Anyone else have this problem?

Had the same problem and couldn't get it to work no matter what I tried.. sent it back to Nextel the next day

mauiboy 01-20-2006 12:18 AM

have any anyone tried the MMG driver with your 7100i or 8700? they show the 7100i as one of several new supported device and giving it away to use with BK600 keyboards which is the same as the Freedom and the Bluekeyboard. wonder if they have the same problem as the Freedom drivers with the new devices. you should check it out its free.

oh btw, I ordered my Shasta keyboard a few days ago. ups says it should be at my home. will let you know what how it works tomorrow if its in.

mauiboy 01-20-2006 06:14 AM

Got my Shasta keyboard today. Wow… talk about premium compared to competition standard models. The look and feel of this Shasta keyboard will be hard to beat. Nice full size keys and rugged design. Hardware is impeccable. I borrowed some device from the work place to test out this new keyboard. I tried to prepare a comparison between the Shasta and my MMG that I got about 5 months ago. To be unbiased I just list the features in the manual and my observations using both while trying to see how well they let me do what the keys on the BlackBerry does.

Stuff I got from the docs............................Shasta............ .MMG
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hotkey (open phone app.)..........................Yes................ .Yes
Hotkey(auto dial number)........................... No.................Yes
ESC key (Escape).....................................Yes.. ...............Yes
Arrow keys.............................................. ..Yes.................Yes
Menu key (open menu)...............................Yes........... ......Yes
Shift + thumb wheel (highlight characters)....No.................Yes
Press and hold key (Upper case).................No.................Yes
Repeating characters..................................Yes... ..............Yes
Disable repeating characters........................No.............. ...Yes
Number of programmable hotkeys.................8.................20+
Turn on backlight when key is press.............Yes.................Yes
Backlight brightness adjustment hotkey........No...................Yes
Special symbols.........................................Al tGr + key......Hotkey
Ctrl + X/C/V (Cut/Copy/Paste)......................No.................Yes
Key tone simulation....................................No.. ...............Yes
Key tone volume adjustment........................No.............. ...Yes

Different Blackberry issues
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Character input lag......................................Yes...... ...........Yes
Number keys work in phone app...................No.................Yes
Number keys open phone app......................No.................Yes

7100i
Character input lag.....................................Yes....... ..........Yes
Number keys work in phone app..................Yes.................Yes

8700c
Character input lag.....................................Better.... .............Better
Number keys work in phone app..................Yes.................Yes

My Conclusion:

I like typing on the Shasta with its full size keys. My typing is not impressive so it harder to press the wrong keys. :>) Both have that dreaded lagging problem that gets better with the newer blackberry devices like the 8700 and they both function well enough as input devices. So if you have big hand then you better off getting the Shasta. If you don’t mind slightly small keys but want a keyboard that seems more complete in their drivers then that might be the MMG. And if you’re one them “boys with toys person” you might get them both. Hahahaha… just kidding I get them through work since we work with PDA devices every day. I can’t wait till the boss say it’s ok to get one of them Virtual Keyboard to play with.

Mark Rejhon 01-21-2006 02:57 AM

Check this out. I have now posted a review of the two keyboards:

REVIEW: Two External Bluetooth Keyboards
[ThinkOutside Shasta] + [Freedom Keyboard]

SapperLeader 01-26-2006 06:22 PM

Mauiboy,

In your review you give the impression that the Shasta keyboard works with a 8700 but in Mark's review he says he is wating for a 8700 driver before he can test it, which is correct?

Does the Shasta (ThinkOutside) work with the 8700 or are we still waiting for a driver?

Thanks

mauiboy 01-27-2006 03:56 PM

SapperLeader,

In my test it seems to be working ok. I tested it with a 8700c that was not connected to the BES. was able to pair/connect through TO's driver and type from Memo.

It could be that TO has not officially released the shasta for 8700 but it worked for me.

hope this helps...

Mark Rejhon 01-27-2006 04:48 PM

Hi,

I think mine's a IT Policy issue. It used to be on a BES, but as this is my BlackBerry 8700r, the IT policy was removed after taking it off the BES. However, I have an inability to set the following:
Security Options -> Application Permissions -> Stowaway Shasta -> Interactions -> Keystroke Injection -> "Allow"

It stubbornly stays at "Deny" (the only selectable option for this)

Security policy was removed by a BES 4.0 policy.bin file. I think there probably is a new BES 4.1 setting regarding keystroke injection, and I somehow need to push a new policy.bin file to my BlackBerry. I'm still trying to figure this out...

(I'm not even 100% sure it is an IT Policy issue, but this is the best theory I can come up with right now.)

mauiboy 01-27-2006 04:55 PM

Mark,

if you figure this out, please post a solution. we have another 8700r that is nolonger connected to the BES but it has the same problem you're having with Injector policy. I'd like to get this resolved so I can try the keyboards on it.

Thanks in advance...

mauiboy 02-19-2006 06:37 AM

FYI,

I just received a alpha version of MMG's KeyPro-Shasta Edition. its a spin-off of their KeyPro-Professional BlackBerry drivers for the (BK600) if you didn't know, the Freedom / Bluekeyboard / Smart Keyboard are all BK600 keyboards. Works good for an alpha version. +10x more features than the ThinkOutside Shasta drivers. check them out they are giving free-trials. be aware though its alpha version. the beta should be out in a week or so.

for got to give the link:

http://www.mymobilegear.com/shasta_free_trial.html

acnst 02-19-2006 08:08 PM

Quote:

Hi,

I think mine's a IT Policy issue. It used to be on a BES, but as this is my BlackBerry 8700r, the IT policy was removed after taking it off the BES. However, I have an inability to set the following:
Security Options -> Application Permissions -> Stowaway Shasta -> Interactions -> Keystroke Injection -> "Allow"

It stubbornly stays at "Deny" (the only selectable option for this)

Security policy was removed by a BES 4.0 policy.bin file. I think there probably is a new BES 4.1 setting regarding keystroke injection, and I somehow need to push a new policy.bin file to my BlackBerry. I'm still trying to figure this out...

(I'm not even 100% sure it is an IT Policy issue, but this is the best theory I can come up with right now.)

It is not an IT policy issue, it is an Application Policy issue. These type of policy is different from IT policy. You can configure application policies in the Handheld Configuration Tool on the BES. To get rid of the application you need to reconnect your BB to a BES and configure an empty IT Policy and create a new application policy. In the application policy you have to allow everything. After these policies are pushed to the device, you will be able to configure "Keystroke Injection".
If you have access to an Exchange/Notes or Groupwise server you could install a trial BES using the free trial version offered by RIM.

mauiboy 02-24-2006 06:29 AM

FYI - MMG released their version of the ThinkOutside BlackBerry Shasta drivers. They are actually giving away the driver if you purchase the Shasta from their website. This is a cool deal, I bought the Shasta from I think it was shops.com ended up paying about $94 with shipping. I got a copy of the driver from MMG. I’ve been using it just under a week. Their driver actually works much better than the ThinkOutside driver. But check it out for yourself; go try the 30-day free-trial of the Shasta driver.

http://www.mymobilegear.com/