BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   t-mobile curve - dust on inside of LCD ANNOYING!! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=147900)

apoplack 08-31-2008 08:34 PM

t-mobile curve - dust on inside of LCD ANNOYING!!

Hello all. I get a dust build up under the top right hand side of the lcd screen of my Curve. This has happened on two of my devices, and have sent them both away for cleaning, but the dust comes back. At $65 a pop, I cannot justify sending my phone in for cleaning every few months. I use the bestskinsever skins, which I really like, but that does not keep the dust from getting in. The repair facility says that this is a common occurance and will keep on happening. Is he right, or is there a fix to keep the dust out and he is just not telling me to assure job security? I am somewhat mechanically inclined in that I can disassemble and reassemble most reasonably straightforward things, but have minimal electrical knowledge, and if I were to disconnect something or break a weld, I'd be in trouble. Am I deluding myself in thinking that I can clean under the LCD myself? Or is the dust gathering between the plastic protector and the top of the LCD, and is that a simpler fix? Thanks to all for answers.

holden 08-31-2008 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apoplack (Post 1082814)
Hello all. I get a dust build up under the top right hand side of the lcd screen of my Curve. This has happened on two of my devices, and have sent them both away for cleaning, but the dust comes back. At $65 a pop, I cannot justify sending my phone in for cleaning every few months. I use the bestskinsever skins, which I really like, but that does not keep the dust from getting in. The repair facility says that this is a common occurance and will keep on happening. Is he right, or is there a fix to keep the dust out and he is just not telling me to assure job security? I am somewhat mechanically inclined in that I can disassemble and reassemble most reasonably straightforward things, but have minimal electrical knowledge, and if I were to disconnect something or break a weld, I'd be in trouble. Am I deluding myself in thinking that I can clean under the LCD myself? Or is the dust gathering between the plastic protector and the top of the LCD, and is that a simpler fix? Thanks to all for answers.

You can buy the torque5 and watch this video...
How to take apart and 8310-8320

TroyDBrown 08-31-2008 08:56 PM

Do you keep it in a case when not in use?

apoplack 08-31-2008 09:16 PM

Thanks for the replies. I keep it in a clip in type of holder. I work outdoors and need to retreive it quickly and like the clip in holder type of case.

TroyDBrown 08-31-2008 09:27 PM

Thanks I just wondered. I usually hear this dust issue with people putting it in a pocket.

apoplack 08-31-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyDBrown (Post 1082861)
Thanks I just wondered. I usually hear this dust issue with people putting it in a pocket.

I work in a generally dusty environment. It must be me if it happens over and over on two different 8300 devices! (that doesn't make it any less annoying though).

apoplack 09-01-2008 12:04 PM

Thanks for the comments. So I just went to Radio Shack and CompUSA and neither carries T5 drivers. Does anybody know of a big box/chain store that does carry them? Where do I get them from today? Thanks.

TroyDBrown 09-01-2008 12:06 PM

I actually bought mine at HomeDepot, $4 for a set with a few different sizes.

jdjs69 09-01-2008 12:12 PM

Same happened to me. It's along the right side of the screen. I carry mine in the holster -right edge facing up.

apoplack 09-01-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyDBrown (Post 1083372)
I actually bought mine at HomeDepot, $4 for a set with a few different sizes.

Cool. Thanks, Troy. I'm heading over there right now. I cannot defer the gratification I will get from taking apart my phone!

TroyDBrown 09-01-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apoplack (Post 1083378)
Cool. Thanks, Troy. I'm heading over there right now. I cannot defer the gratification I will get from taking apart my phone!

Please let us know how it goes!