BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Why did RIM change the power plug (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=175147)

Joshlarsen 02-09-2009 02:59 PM

Why did RIM change the power plug

Why did RIM change the power port on the Storm away from the small USB connection that all of the other Blackberrys use?

Watoosy 02-09-2009 03:02 PM

The only reason I can share is so that they can make more money from selling more power cords (AC, car, etc.).

Joshlarsen 02-09-2009 03:09 PM

That is what i was thinking. Just makes it a pain in the arce. I have a personal and a work BB and now I need different chargers. That sucks.

possmann 02-09-2009 03:16 PM

Micro USB way of the future

According to what I heard from a Verizon rep and someone else (can't recall who right now...) is that not too long ago the FCC stepped in to get the phone makers to agree on a standard for adapters and apparently it is suppose to move towards the Micrso USB connection for phones.
I know - I have a couple of Mini USB cords laying around and my wife has a Pearl (Mini USB cord) and our kids phones all use the Mini USB as well - if that is the case it sucks to be "bleeding" edge now (sigh).

ndub33 02-09-2009 03:17 PM

Personally, I'm not crazy about it either, but I think we will see more plug in comptuer perephrials going this way in the near future. I just think RIM is a little ahead of the curve in introducing it.

Joshlarsen 02-09-2009 03:21 PM

I am totally fine with switching if all phones going forward are going to be the micro USB charge port. It would be nice to actually have a standard charger going forward.

ezrunner 02-09-2009 03:53 PM

Wirelessly posted (hope is everything!)

The major manufacturers are going to a single standard

jerseydude 02-09-2009 04:32 PM

it does suck having all those different power cords, but for Blackberries i have been using a mini to micro usb adapter that works pretty good, and they far less expensive then a whole new cord

Tri-Tip 02-09-2009 06:10 PM

I have probably 8 USB plugs for my Blackberry...
2 - Car Chargers
1 - Home Charger
1 - USB -> Mini USB in my briefcase
1 - Travel Charger that I leave packed
1 - USB -> Mini USB near where I use my laptop
1 - USB -> Mini USB at work

I ordered some Mini-USB to Micro-USB adaptors through my computer vendor...$4 each. Better than $20 - $30 for new chargers.

Same for the earpiece, < $4 for an adaptor on Verizon's website.

kjjb0204 02-09-2009 08:19 PM

It's going to be the standard for all mobile devices within a year. Nokia's newest devices are microUSB, moto has a few, samsung is using it already. wave of the future folks.....

lindros2 02-09-2009 10:30 PM

The word from manufacturers: micro USB tends to be a stronger port with better "adhesion." Mini-USB is perfect for me, but apparently with long use the connection weakens, which could lead to a weak connection, no charging, etc.

Translation: more money (for RIM, etc.) for new accessories.

Andyn 02-10-2009 12:41 AM

You can get adapters from Motorola that will convert your old style USB to Micro USB.....Cost about 6 or 7 bucks. And splitters that allow you to charge phone and bluetooth with one charger. I'll post part #'s and pics tomorrow

Andyn 02-10-2009 01:03 AM

Motorola Adapter USB to Micro USB & Moto Splitter

2 Attachment(s)
Here it is...USB to Micro USB and Charge Phone and Bluetooth with one charger...USe the USB to Micro USB adapter if applicable on the splitter too.

plumcrazy 02-11-2009 07:11 AM

andyn, thanks for the idea.

XelhaBB 02-11-2009 10:34 AM

Maybe its my cynicism, but there is always some "new technology" emerging every time a company releases a new phone and changes the power cord / accessory / adaptor configurations.

It always translates into a growing myriad of cables in my home office desk drawer and more $$$ dropped to accessorize my new toy.

kjjb0204 02-11-2009 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelhaBB (Post 1280629)
Maybe its my cynicism, but there is always some "new technology" emerging every time a company releases a new phone and changes the power cord / accessory / adaptor configurations.

It always translates into a growing myriad of cables in my home office desk drawer and more $$$ dropped to accessorize my new toy.

I disagree. These changes lead to faster data transfer, lower power requirements and smaller device size. How is that not a good thing?

Companies don't change these connections just to sell more accessories. It costs tons of cash to research and develop these connectors. They don't just do it to make more $$.

bostonnerd 02-11-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjjb0204 (Post 1280662)
I disagree. These changes lead to faster data transfer, lower power requirements and smaller device size. How is that not a good thing?

Companies don't change these connections just to sell more accessories. It costs tons of cash to research and develop these connectors. They don't just do it to make more $$.

Micro USB uses the same USB 2 specification pinouts and voltage/current specs as Mini USB. It's just a smaller plug form factor.

XelhaBB 02-11-2009 11:22 AM

Kjjb, I am not noticing any faster data transfer and, as confirmed by the previous poster, the specs don't reflect any change in voltage specs.

Having worked for a corporation that sells vehicles, I can say this with 100% confidence. Newer models are designed to compel retooling in order to garner profit. Everyone makes money when new tools, software, and accessories are demanded as a result of a design change.

That's just capitalism baby.

2 Samuel 22 02-11-2009 11:41 AM

Yep, it's all about the $$$

If they can squeeze out some meaningful performance increase due to a re-design, that's just an added and selling point.

kjjb0204 02-11-2009 11:41 AM

Wirelessly posted

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelhaBB
Kjjb, I am not noticing any faster data transfer and, as confirmed by the previous poster, the specs don't reflect any change in voltage specs.

Having worked for a corporation that sells vehicles, I can say this with 100% confidence. Newer models are designed to compel retooling in order to garner profit. Everyone makes money when new tools, software, and accessories are demanded as a result of a design change.

That's just capitalism baby.

I don't disagree that the profits with new associated products aren't a huge motivator, but I still believe innovation to build products that are safer, cleaner, smarter, faster is the goal.

It's progress, baby.