BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Wi-fi issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=255857)

lcstevens 11-29-2011 07:36 AM

Wi-fi issues

First time user of BB so apologies for my lack of knowledge. New user of an 8520, went through the wi-fi wizard with no problems. however ive started to get very intermitent coverage, Facebook and twitter do not refresh quickly, i cant access app world regurlarly and i've also tried downloading two podcast recievers and neither download the podcasts quickly, if at all (nor are they very big, under a minute in length). The wi-fi sign is in the corner, full mobile signal with GPRS but when you take a closer look at the connection via wi-fi options it says 'active wi-fi connection: none'. All very confusing but i'm sure it's my insufficient experience with the BB.

All help greatfully received and appreciated.
:?

Dubdub 11-29-2011 08:52 AM

Re: Wi-fi issues

Do you have a Blackberry dataplan active on your account? Many carriers require that before sending the WiFi service book. You will need that before being able to connect to RIM, which you need for Facebook, App World, etc.

lcstevens 11-29-2011 09:54 AM

many thanks dubdub. excuse my ignorance, how do i find out if i have a BDP via the BB?

Dubdub 11-29-2011 10:13 AM

a BDP? What is that? If you are asking about a Blackberry dataplan, call your cell carrier.

lcstevens 11-29-2011 10:28 AM

will do, many thanks.

lcstevens 11-29-2011 02:28 PM

update from cell carrier, dataplan all fine.

Dubdub 11-29-2011 02:49 PM

Is it a Blackberry dataplan?

markinhfx 11-29-2011 03:18 PM

I was using my WiFi successfully to surf and what not however when I wanted to access appworld it would not do it unless I turned the data coverage back on How can I be sure it is using the WiFi for downloading?

Dubdub 11-29-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markinhfx (Post 1757350)
I was using my WiFi successfully to surf and what not however when I wanted to access appworld it would not do it unless I turned the data coverage back on How can I be sure it is using the WiFi for downloading?

Mark, it is considered bad manners to hijack another users thread.

Data will go via WiFi whenever you have a WiFi connection, assuming that you have a BB data plan, which it appears that you have. If you turn data off, you turn ALL data off, including WiFi. You could try turning off "Mobile Networks" and see if that will leave your connection to RIM up.

lcstevens 11-29-2011 03:36 PM

Dubdub, it is a Blackberry dataplan.

Dubdub 11-29-2011 03:52 PM

In "Manage Connections" do you have WiFi checked and Mobile Network also checked?

Have you tried a battery pull and resent service books?

markinhfx 11-29-2011 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1757351)
Mark, it is considered bad manners to hijack another users thread.

Data will go via WiFi whenever you have a WiFi connection, assuming that you have a BB data plan, which it appears that you have. If you turn data off, you turn ALL data off, including WiFi. You could try turning off "Mobile Networks" and see if that will leave your connection to RIM up.

Sorry I thought they were sort of related....
That being said I should have specified I did turn off mobile networks... and I kept getting the message you are not connected to the internet yet I could surf just fine...

lcstevens 11-29-2011 04:07 PM

mobile netwrok has a green tick and wi-fi has a green on, although the connection via wi-fi options says 'active wi-fi connection: none'.

Dubdub 11-29-2011 04:17 PM

Battery pull and resend service books?

Can you connect to another WiFi hotspot, not this one that you are trying to connect?

lcstevens 11-29-2011 04:41 PM

if you mean removed battery then yes i have. would service books automatically resend when battery is reinserted?
i can access other wi-fi hotspots. my service provider has done a disgnositc test on my wi-fi router and it's output is 90%.

Dubdub 11-29-2011 06:01 PM

If you can use other hotspots, then there must be a problem with your specific router. I would call the manufacturer of the router for tech support. Do you have a security setting on the router?

Did you remove the battery with the BB on for 30-60 seconds and then put back and let the device reboot?

Service books are not automatically resent. See our FAQ for how to resend them.

lcstevens 12-01-2011 03:27 AM

All sorted, turned out to be an issue with the router. many thanks for your help!

mausky 12-05-2011 04:00 AM

Need help I'm having a problem w/ my BB storm, i could not surf the internet via wi-fi connection. I'm connected but unable to connect to the internet. thanks

NJBlackBerry 12-05-2011 06:21 AM

Do you have a BlackBerry Data Plan on your account?
Who is your carrier (blackberry storm2 is not a Carrier).