BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Push Email or Not? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=57854)

aaronmarks 12-18-2006 05:07 AM

This is more about understanding how the Push email system works and how RIM has decided to have a sub-par implementation for BIS.

BIS could leave an open connection to an IMAP or OWA server and push these messages immediately, but RIM has instead chosen to only give push email with services that use their proprietary push protocol and network. If the BIS servers had to maintain open connections to the IMAP/OWA servers then that would require extra bandwidth consumption which would equal more dollars out of the mobile providers pockets.

This is the reason why Yahoo and Google, who apparently have jumped on the RIM network are now able to offer true push to their customers. Although this service is great, there is no possible way to have reconciliation with a desktop email client since neither of these two providers offer any other connection than POP3. HTTP or IMAP would be viable alternatives, but would likely require to much bandwidth if you factor in how many subscribers both Yahoo and Google mail services have.

So what we end up seeing as the end-result is that IMAP4, POP3, and OWA servers are polled only every 15-30 minutes by most cellular providers and that is why you will see a huge delay on your device. For true push email you need to have a Microsoft Exchange Server and a Windows Mobile device or a Microsoft Exchange Server, BlackBerry Enterprise Server, BlackBerry data plan, and a BlackBerry.

If you want faster push service check out Consilient, but I have not had much luck with them on the Nokia devices I have tested with. They also offer a BlackBerry client.

bduval 01-02-2007 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moosehead
I'm on BIS as well with Cingular. And like I mentioned I receive gmail and yahoo before I even get a notification on my pc. Yes setting up your email accounts on your BB is very easy. Log into you gmail web account. Go into Settings and click 'Forwarding and POP'. Verify Forwarding is disabled. I have POP enabled.

Hi Moosehead - just got an 8700c and registered my Verizon account via BIS. Not getting emails, so tried changing the POP server to incoming.verizon.net and still am not getting anything. Mail does come to the mycingular.blackberry.net. Note that I am also on BES with my corp mail.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

JSanders 01-03-2007 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bduval
Hi Moosehead - just got an 8700c and registered my Verizon account via BIS. Not getting emails, so tried changing the POP server to incoming.verizon.net and still am not getting anything. Mail does come to the mycingular.blackberry.net. Note that I am also on BES with my corp mail.

So are you trying to set up BIS on your BB, with an existing BES plan? I don't think that is possible--someone correct me if wrong.

bduval 01-03-2007 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders
So are you trying to set up BIS on your BB, with an existing BES plan? I don't think that is possible--someone correct me if wrong.

Yes. Could be my novice naivete, but I want to receive corp email and personal email on the device. Note that I am able to do this with the cingular/blackberry email account, just not the Verizon. Thanks.

bduval 01-03-2007 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bduval
Yes. Could be my novice naivete, but I want to receive corp email and personal email on the device. Note that I am able to do this with the cingular/blackberry email account, just not the Verizon. Thanks.

btw - checked the FAQ in the start guide that came with the device and it indicates you can set up BES and BIS, in that order, as long as your sysadmin allows >1 email solution. I didn't ask because I didn't want to be told no.

rcmpayne 01-03-2007 03:44 PM

if anyone is geting emails every 15 to 20 mins on Gmail and or Yahoo remove and re-add the intergration

Issue : account is set up as POP3

wiredwrx 01-03-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcmpayne
if anyone is geting emails every 15 to 20 mins on Gmail and or Yahoo remove and re-add the intergration

Issue : account is set up as POP3

Sir, you are plain wrong. Besides, what the heck does "re-add the integration" mean.

If G-Mail or Yahoo are set up in BIS, it is created correctly automatically.

Michael