BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Battery issues with verizon curve? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=132916)

Krank 06-01-2008 11:55 PM

Battery issues with verizon curve?

Im not sure if this is normal for blackberry phones or not but this phones having problems with going more then a day on a charge. I get like 36 hours out of the phone before it needs to be recharged or is close. My average day consists of 10 min of web browsing, 2 hours of bluetooth, maybe 30-40 min in phone calls depending on the day. I dont consider myself a heavy user but i see the phone communicating alot with the arrows.

Is there a blackberry mail server or message server i can turn off? I don't use black berry email or messaging services. I checked programs running and noticed i was running opera and google maps in the back round, but even turning those off pushed the phone to only a day and a half max! Is this normal power and communication usage? Any tweaks anyone can recommend for me? Thanks in advance!

K

zerog46 06-02-2008 12:01 AM

That's about what I get, I just charge it every night. You can go here and get a larger battery. Seidioonline.com

BubbaRob 06-02-2008 12:57 AM

I Just purchased my Curve last Friday. I am on par with your battery life as well. I surf about 2 hours, use about 60 mins of cell time and medium email pushing. I get about the same.

I have noticed that when I am outside in the sun and the screen goes into its "superbright" mode as I call it, the battery goes down REALLY fast.

Hey compared to the Moto Q I had, the Curve battery life is outstanding. In my opinion your battery life is normal.

Rob

jsntrenkler 06-02-2008 01:32 AM

I would agree with the above. I think your battery life is about normal.

thatboiwes 06-02-2008 02:43 AM

This will be the 2nd night in a row that I haven't charged my BlackBerry and the battery is at 50% right now. I'm not talking on it as much as you, but I send/recieve 75-100 text messages/emails/pin messages a day.

akosnitzky 06-02-2008 04:44 AM

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

My guess is that within the next few yrs, there will have solar powered handhelds and this will be a non issue

someonexh 06-02-2008 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thatboiwes (Post 952673)
This will be the 2nd night in a row that I haven't charged my BlackBerry and the battery is at 50% right now. I'm not talking on it as much as you, but I send/recieve 75-100 text messages/emails/pin messages a day.

at&t is completely different. GSM phones are hard on batteries :)

vco08 06-02-2008 10:17 AM

I had a problem with my battery on my Curve due to the Bluetooth radio. For some reason when I turned it on and left it, it would drain the battery fast. I turned it off and didnt have to charge it for a couple of days.

dacphilly 06-02-2008 01:27 PM

I odered the Seidio 2600 extended battery before I ordered my 8330 since i already knew batter life was on the short side. I would suggest either the 1500 or the 2600 to help make it through a day. I can go 2.5 days under heavy usage with no problem with the 2600 battery.

Krank 06-02-2008 11:48 PM

I ended up going a different way to solve this problem. Since it seems that my battery life is normal. I got a charging cradle, extra stock battery and car charger for 33 bucks online. Not bad since verizon charges 30 for the car charger alone. Hopefully with a full battery always in reserve i wont have any real issues.

someonexh 06-03-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vco08 (Post 952959)
I had a problem with my battery on my Curve due to the Bluetooth radio. For some reason when I turned it on and left it, it would drain the battery fast. I turned it off and didnt have to charge it for a couple of days.

I will try that for a day or two. I leave mine on 24/7 because my car has built in bluetooth which I love. I would hate to have to turn it on everytime I get in the car.

amyschus 06-03-2008 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Krank (Post 953958)
I ended up going a different way to solve this problem. Since it seems that my battery life is normal. I got a charging cradle, extra stock battery and car charger for 33 bucks online. Not bad since verizon charges 30 for the car charger alone. Hopefully with a full battery always in reserve i wont have any real issues.

Where did you get such a great deal?! Please tell me! Hahah.

customshopkv1 06-03-2008 05:53 PM

I had a 8800 (48 hours) before that went almost a day longer then my 8830 (maybe because of the CDMA), but I had an XV6800 that would sit on the charger all night and need to be charged before I got home (18 - 20 hours). I think my 8830 is about 36 hours or so. I think your in range.

Krank 06-03-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amyschus (Post 954970)
Where did you get such a great deal?! Please tell me! Hahah.

OEM Stock battery 8$ Amazon

OEM Car charger 8$ Amazon

Cradle 17$ Amazon (Search for curve cradle, first one)

Amazon Prime free shipping
No tax (last week) to NY

About the cradle, its a china knockoff. Came in a beat up white box, but it was new. I bought this strictly for the spare battery charger. Which works perfect. Blue "on" indicator light and a red/green "charge status" light works fine. The connection to the phone is a cable, it does not use the metal on the back of the phone. It also has a USB cable but im not sure if it does data or just charges. Works perfect as a strict plug in charger though. Just an FYI.

joeygator 06-03-2008 10:55 PM

I believe the bluetooth is a big issue. Also the evdo data if you surf a fair bit. GSM typically has a better rated life. I keep the charger in the car as I am mobile most of the day and that gets me through.

JGBerry 06-04-2008 12:10 AM

i charge my phone every night...doesn't make any sense as to why anyone wouldn't..........

unless they were camping or something hah

Krank 06-04-2008 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGBerry (Post 955333)
i charge my phone every night...doesn't make any sense as to why anyone wouldn't..........

unless they were camping or something hah

Its not that i can't charge the phone everynight. But sometimes i go out and end up staying somewhere else besides home unexpected. Its just nice to know that i dont need to worry about the phones battery when this happens. But now i do so im gonna have to keep a charger in the car. With my treo i could get 3 days out of it so overnight trips were no big deal.