BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   SIP Softphone Client (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=166190)

LeonardusH 12-19-2008 02:33 PM

SIP Softphone Client

Hi,

does anyone know of a BlackBerry SIP Softphone client?
Preferably one that also supports WiFi.

Thanks

bananasplit 12-19-2008 04:54 PM

Something like Truphone?

LeonardusH 12-19-2008 04:57 PM

Yes, but not with a service attached. Just the software.

We have a SIP/VOIP server in the office, and I want it to connect to that...
So basically, just a SIP client software application.

krishsreedharan 12-19-2008 10:11 PM

I dont think there is one yet for the BB ... I hope RIM does something about it soon -- it's a necessity for a business device to complete the service roundup. I am waiting for this too.

JSylvia007 12-21-2008 09:55 PM

Same here. A SIP compatible application would be perfect for my Trixbox solution at work.

gorip96 12-21-2008 10:49 PM

still waiting for xeeta to release their SIP client software

check out BB Xeeta - Blackberry Sip Client

Caspan 12-22-2008 08:58 AM

You will never see it without a huge service charge from your carrier. I guarantee you that RIM already has it but carries wont allow it. Why would you use the mobile network if you could just use SIP? This is there business they would never sell you a device to undercut them...

USA 04-07-2009 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspan (Post 1218872)
You will never see it without a huge service charge from your carrier. I guarantee you that RIM already has it but carries wont allow it. Why would you use the mobile network if you could just use SIP? This is there business they would never sell you a device to undercut them...

We have a SIP capable system from 3Com and have been told that mobile providers are filtering SIP data.

NJBlackBerry 04-07-2009 12:50 PM

Just like how T-Mobile Germany is going to fight Skype on the iPhone - this cuts into their revenue. Of course they will fight SIP data unless they can bill for it!

USA 04-07-2009 03:56 PM

Well.... I suppose having a Storm I forget sometimes that many of you have Wifi enabled BlackBerry's (I'm a jealous b@st&rd :cry:). Seems to me someone should have come up with a SIP client for phones that don't have to ride on the man's data service.

route90 05-21-2009 09:05 PM

SIP would be nice, but it won't happen

We've had discussions with RIM about telephony apps. They're not allowing VoIP apps. Period. Forget about it... for all the reasons stated earlier.

It's not SIP but, if you don't have an unlimited LD calling plan for the US & Canada or would like to make cheaper international calls, check out GuerrillaTel. We're soft launching a BlackBerry app that has met with strong initial interest.

Goto GuerrillaTel.com for more info.

Cheers.

Ridicule 06-03-2009 01:12 PM

There is a commercial offering available

Actually, if you're going to say there's nothing available, you should at least be specific enough to state that there's no consumer offering available.

MVS allows enterprises to do this:

//na.blackberry.com/eng/services/blackberry_mvs/?CPID=EMC-BBCNQ307-4&cp=EMC-BBCNQ307-4]BlackBerry - Mobile PDA - BlackBerry Communications - BlackBerry Mobile Voice System

I think we'll be waiting for someone in the open source community to write us a SIP client that will integrate with an IP PBX (for SMB and home use that is).

And, yes, the carriers are (obviously) more than a little protective about their voice minutes.

NewBoldAddict 06-06-2009 03:08 AM

Both Asterisk and Tribox are open source code. Therefore, a Blackberry programmer can benefit from that and write a simple SIP softphone (client).

Even if the carriers filter SIP data when dialing, you can encrypt the dialing data from your Blackberry to the edge of your network and then decrypt it before it gets to your SIP server.

bradhs 06-19-2009 10:05 PM

Waiting for a SIP client for my BlackBerry Bold... I really just want it to work over WiFi so I can walk around the office wtih my Blackberry and answer calls with my bluetooth headset. :)

thodgen 07-01-2009 09:36 PM

SIP on Wireless networks

Many are bypassing their wireless minutes with SIP clients on their IPhones today. I suspect the threat of losing business to Iphones might be compelling for RIM.

Today, I have customers that connect to a Sutus BC200 via a $6.95 SIP client that tunnels via PPTP from any wireless network back to their cost effective PBX so they can make local calls on their wireless phone without Cell minutes. There is a story on it at pbx2sip dot com in their blog.

It's a compelling business proposition to companies trying to reduce their cell phone bills for their mobile workforce. Imagine a salesmen that travels out of country - he finds a hotspot, turns on his client, and calls the office or home as a free call.

I think that RIM is missing an opportunity here, I think history has shown over and over again that closed standards do not drive good business.

There are clients on their way, if you find one, please post it hear, I'd love to try one out before I have to give up my Blackberry due to none being available. Surely, we can get one released soon......

Flare3 07-05-2009 07:55 AM

I was actually talking with our support rep from RIM the other day about this and he told me, that RIM has a client but the carriers are stopping them from releasing it, and that if anyone else releases a client that they will lock out any SIP system APIs that are used to implement it.

This second part I find interesting, it suggests to me that most of what's needed is there. I agree, this would be a great add-on/feature. If someone has figured out how to leverage the APIs and knows they will be locked out the developer is likely waiting for release of 5.0 so they can get the largest base of customers before it is locked out.

The MVS solution is interesting, but it still uses minutes, and is very expensive. We were seeing quotes in the 20K range for our small office.

RIM wake up smell the user feed back, tell the carriers to suck it up. Release the SIP softphone.

NJBlackBerry 07-05-2009 08:54 AM

RIM had a SIP/WiFi only BlackBerry years ago. The model 7270. No one wanted it.

RIM_Next_Door 08-03-2009 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1421317)
RIM had a SIP/WiFi only BlackBerry years ago. The model 7270. No one wanted it.

Not totally true. I have two of the 7270. They would have been more popular if AT&T had not put their foot down.

The concept behind the 7270 was to perfect a SIP client and then port it into future BBs. AT&T walked in and said "guess what?" No one had to ask!

r5a 08-27-2009 02:09 PM

Yeah, I hate to bump this but has there been any update on this topic?

I am BES admin with a small business with an asterisk based IP-PBX looking to try and integrate my 10 blackberries. The MVS solution is stupidly expensive I was also getting quoted 10-20k for it...

My phones are all BES activated and I was hoping I could just download a SIP client and off I go...

It sucks they are making this really difficult!

mgerbasio 08-27-2009 08:02 PM

I'm curious how useful a SIP client is on a smartphone. I downloaded one for a WM phone and it worked fine however the battery life was extremely short even when I wasn't using the phone.