BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   app world / BIS issue (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=216612)

leks 01-13-2010 06:52 AM

app world / BIS issue

Hi,

I know there are several people with this problem, but there does not seem to be a definitive answer to solve the issue.

I have recently downloaded app world to my Bold 9000, but now I get an error message suggesting I upgrade my data plan.

On the blackberry site it says I must have BIS (or BES) to use it and to confirm this I should go to "options", "advanced options", "browser", then under "default browser configuration" I should be able to select "internet browser". If not (I can not), I do not have BIS?

My understanding is that if I did not have BIS, I would not have been able to set up email, BB Messenger etc (I have been able to register / log in to Vodafone BIS), Am I right?

1. Do I have BIS?

2. How do I resolve app world issue?

3. Would this issue also stop me from using Facebook app?

Thanks.

MidnightDraven 01-13-2010 07:22 AM

1. if you can use blackberry messenger, setup email on the vodafone BIS site, YES.

2. resend service books.
uninstall/reinstall
battery pull.

3. shouldn't. but if you try using facebook and its fine, its an app world problem, and not a data problem.

leks 01-13-2010 07:45 AM

MidnightDraven,

Thanks, I thought I must have BIS.

When you say resend service books, is that a general option that resends all service books or is it specific to application I have problem with. I already deleted appworld thinking I would reinstall it, but can't do that till in range of wifi (doh!!).

The reason I asked about Facebook was because it says I can't connect and mentions my data service, so wondered if issues were linked.

MidnightDraven 01-13-2010 07:48 AM

Why do you have to wait till in wi-fi range?
You should have a data connection right now.
Either GPRS or 3G with dots after it.

If you have gprs, or 3g, you don't have data.

REsending service books, resends them all, connecting you back to data.

leks 01-17-2010 06:23 PM

I have GPRS, EDGE and 3G, but to download the appworld programme it said it was a wifi service. I have now downloaded via wifi but when I try to launch it I am now being told to upgrade my package to one that includes browsing?

I am able to browse on my mobile, so what does it mean?

Why is Blackberry making it so difficult to access its own programme?

I have resent service books in email setup.

Any other thoughts?

tsac 01-17-2010 06:33 PM

The basic issue is did you get a Blackberry data plan with your BB?. If not you do not have any method of using the BB via cell service except voice calls. That may answer why you must be near a WiFi connection.
Downloading the service books resets the BB connection to the various services available via Cell service. You login into the BIS service your provider has to do this. Not having this also indicates you dont have a data plan. I would call your provider and ask if you have a blackberry data plan. That will answer all your questions and then you can decide the next step.