BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rants and Raves Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=75)
-   -   Emerency Alert Test - 57 Times! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=262521)

ausearch 11-23-2012 12:15 PM

Emerency Alert Test - 57 Times!

On Monday, 11/19 I upgraded from a BB 9700 to a BB 9900. On 11/20 I stated receiving "Monthly Test Alerts" - 57 of them over the course of about 6 hours!!!
And that's only after I started counting. They are a horrible squeal from the device, right in the middle of a phone call or anything else one is doing. They come one after the other - I counted 4 in one minute and another 3-5 say 5 minutes later.

I worked my way up the food chain at T-Mobile tech support, and they told me the alerts, were being sent by T-Mobile, they were aware of the problem, but that there was no solution at the time.

No alert tests so far today (Friday after Thanksgiving). I have other issues with the phone (poor battery life for one) so I'm going to take this POS back to T-Mobile ASAP and buy a new BB 9700 on EBay.

Dubdub 11-23-2012 12:36 PM

Re: Emerency Alert Test - 57 Times!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ausearch (Post 1792551)
On Monday, 11/19 I upgraded from a BB 9700 to a BB 9900. On 11/20 I stated receiving "Monthly Test Alerts" - 57 of them over the course of about 6 hours!!!
And that's only after I started counting. They are a horrible squeal from the device, right in the middle of a phone call or anything else one is doing. They come one after the other - I counted 4 in one minute and another 3-5 say 5 minutes later.

I worked my way up the food chain at T-Mobile tech support, and they told me the alerts, were being sent by T-Mobile, they were aware of the problem, but that there was no solution at the time.

No alert tests so far today (Friday after Thanksgiving). I have other issues with the phone (poor battery life for one) so I'm going to take this POS back to T-Mobile ASAP and buy a new BB 9700 on EBay.

Sounds like a Rant to me. So moved.

Before you take it back, is that the only problem you have? How do you know you won't have the same issue with another device on T-Mobile.

Make sure you buy a T-Mobile compatible device if you are shopping for a used one. they use a different frequency that most of the other GSM carriers.

And also read this: Buying a BlackBerry off eBay - BlackBerryFAQ

Motorcycle Mama 11-23-2012 05:58 PM

This was a TMobile network issue. Not a device issue.

daphne 11-23-2012 08:09 PM

That's right. It has nothing to do with the device. It's network driven.

ausearch 11-24-2012 01:39 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I understand that it's a network-driven issue, but only the newer phones are able to receive Emergency Alerts.

Call me an ostrich putting my head in the sand, but I'd rather have a phone that cannot be comandeered by T-Mobile or the government.

Still think I'll go back to a 9700. The battery life on this BB 9900 is BAD.

But just in case I get more affection for the 9900 over the weekend, is there an Operating Syatem upgrade that gets better battery life? I'm presently using v.7.1.0.284.

Thanks

Motorcycle Mama 11-24-2012 01:55 PM

Here's something that might be useful in your situation.

http://nathan-lee.com/blog/wp-conten...infoil-hat.jpg

It was a TEMPORARY network glitch. Ditching the device due to a glitch like that is akin to throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

But have fun with your old device.

ausearch 11-24-2012 02:08 PM

Well done, Motorcycle Mama -

Yeah, you're right. But I've gotta get this battery issue solved.