BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   How to get BBMaps to show on my Blackberry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=91383)

John Clark 08-20-2007 02:57 PM

How to get BBMaps to show on my Blackberry

This has been explained many times but is buried in hundreds of pages of posts. Here is a tutorial for "unlocking" BBMaps on AT&T and a few other carrier devices.

Question: The BBMaps icon will not show on my device. I see BlackberryMaps in my application list but can’t find it on my device.

Answer: AT&T and some other European carriers, including Orange, have decided that they make more money selling mapping subscriptions than allowing you access to BBMaps. Here is how to make BBMaps show on your device with OS 4.2. OS 4.3 and higher use a different version of BBMaps and this procedure will not work.
  • Make sure you have Desktop Manager installed to your PC. It can be downloaded from here
  • Make sure that the OS is installed to your PC. The OS’s downloads for each carrier can be found here
  • Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
  • Find the LBS.alx file located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8700-v4.2.1.96_P2.3.0.79. Note: The folder name under Loader Files may differ depending on the OS version installed on your device
  • Open the LBS.alx file with a text editor such as WordPad.
  • Scroll down until you find lines similar to this: (Note: each devices version may have differing lines of code.)
<!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for Cingular (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="~102|124|137|119|162|142|183|147|217" series="8800">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
</files>
</fileset>
<!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8800">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod
</files>
</fileset>
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Java="1.0">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_resource_en.cod
</files>
</fileset>
  • Remove all references to “_vendorID=…..” and device codes. Remove the text in bold as shown above and leave the > symbol at the end.
The above code would be changed to the following:
<!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for Cingular (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_ribbon.cod
</files>
</fileset>
<!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties. -->
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_internal_gps.cod
</files>
</fileset>
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Java="1.0">
<files>
net_rim_bb_lbs_resource_en.cod
</files>
</fileset>

Save the file with the same LBS.alx name.

Again, each devices .alx is slightly different but removing any references to vendor codes and device codes in the lines as above will do the trick.
  • Now plug in the BB, open Desktop Manager and run Application Loader. Make sure BBMaps is checked and continue through to finish the process.
  • BBMaps should now have an icon on your home screen.
Please let me know if there is anything missing from the above steps.

If editing the above makes you nervous or you don't want to attempt it you can download pre-edited .alx file from this link. Simply find your device and OS version number and download the .zip files with the included .alx's. Simply replace your .alx's with the new ones and run Application Loader in Desktop Manager

Stinsonddog 08-20-2007 04:28 PM

Does GPS stand for Good Picture Spot?

dmacd 08-20-2007 05:14 PM

The above changes seem to work on the 8820 on Orange in the UK.

Thank you Mr. Clark.

Stinsonddog 08-20-2007 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmacd (Post 639440)
The above changes seem to work on the 8820 on Orange in the UK.

Thank you Mr. Clark.

If you call him Mr. Clark he will go to Washington, If you call him Mr., he won't know who you are talking too, and if you call him LOST, he'll turn on his GPS and go take a picture. So what does he really know about GPS?

secrecyguy 08-20-2007 05:45 PM

I wonder if RIM have this advice on their FAQ. If not, you should tell RIM this.

But anyway, I have T-mobile so I don't have to worry.

John Clark 08-23-2007 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secrecyguy (Post 639475)
I wonder if RIM have this advice on their FAQ. If not, you should tell RIM this.

I think RIM knows. ;-)

daouneizh 08-24-2007 06:45 AM

Also works for a 8820 from Orange France !!

See :
hxxp://www.blackberryforums.com/general-8800-series-discussion/91847-8820-gps-orange-yes-again.html#post643589

Thanks !

scottsalisbury 08-24-2007 10:22 AM

Does this work on 7290?

The trackwheel on my 8700c broke so I had to go back to my 7290. Does the 7290 have GPS?

daouneizh 08-24-2007 10:45 AM

Neither the 8700 nor the 7290 have GPS integrated.

I know that it is possible to install BBMaps on a 8700 with a Bluetooth GPS, I don't know if you can do it with a 7290

In any case, you won't need the above procedure to install BBMaps on your Blackberry ;-)

Crowuk 08-27-2007 06:32 AM

Blackberry Maps Orange

John,

Just a note to say thank you for your help, it worked for me. I have an BB 8820 and my service provider is Orange. :smile:

PS: Lost my Yahoo IM though, so got to go re-install that :razz:

Best wishes, Steve

dazzlingboy 09-03-2007 06:42 AM

Thanks John - worked a treat!

The application is now visible and is up and running fine. What is NOT happening though is that the application is not downloading the map data - I just get the diagonal line thing with a red dot showing me where I am but no map!! :cry:

How can I get BB Maps to automatically download the required map data??

Thanks again.

DB

Stinsonddog 09-03-2007 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlingboy (Post 654173)
Thanks John - worked a treat!

The application is now visible and is up and running fine. What is NOT happening though is that the application is not downloading the map data - I just get the diagonal line thing with a red dot showing me where I am but no map!! :cry:

How can I get BB Maps to automatically download the required map data??

Thanks again.

DB

You need to search here to find your APN and TCP settings. See BBFFAQ's as I believe they are listed there.

pdclee 09-03-2007 10:37 AM

BB Maps Disappears Again

I originally followed the forum instructions to show the blackberry maps program and all was fine. Then I updated my 8800 to remove some themes and save some space as per another post and my maps disappeared again. I checked for the existence of a vendor.xml file and ensured that the lbs.alx, platform.alx, and blackberry.alx files were the ones I downloaded from the forum, but my bb maps is still hidden. Which step did I leave out?

Stinsonddog 09-03-2007 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdclee (Post 654308)
I originally followed the forum instructions to show the blackberry maps program and all was fine. Then I updated my 8800 to remove some themes and save some space as per another post and my maps disappeared again. I checked for the existence of a vendor.xml file and ensured that the lbs.alx, platform.alx, and blackberry.alx files were the ones I downloaded from the forum, but my bb maps is still hidden. Which step did I leave out?

Did you see if it is checked in Desktop Manager. Maybe you unchecked it by accident.

pdclee 09-05-2007 07:18 AM

BB Maps Disappears

It was checked, but it said downgrade since I had downloaded it from the blackberry mobile site.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog (Post 654374)
Did you see if it is checked in Desktop Manager. Maybe you unchecked it by accident.

John Clark 09-05-2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdclee (Post 656255)
It was checked, but it said downgrade since I had downloaded it from the blackberry mobile site.

Go back and check it. It actually removed it from your BB if you unchecked the box.

deepak007 09-05-2007 06:22 PM

Map software & Wifi

John, Have you used google maps or blackberry maps with WIFI & gprs turned off? Im curious to know if its possible because it doesent work on my phone.I tried it with various service book combinaions. I

pdclee 09-10-2007 03:02 PM

BB Maps Problem Solved

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 656734)
Go back and check it. It actually removed it from your BB if you unchecked the box.

I solved the problem by returning to the blackberry site and downloading the latest version of blackberry maps. I think the problem is that the version that comes with the OS is older than the one on the mobile blackberry site. Since I had upgraded to the one on the mobile bb site, reinstalling the OS made the program not function. When I returned to the site and reinstalled, it all started working again.

ams mike 09-11-2007 12:41 PM

great info. thanks! will be doing this once my phone comes in!

Ben James Rayner 09-12-2007 10:27 AM

i have a problem here,

im running a mac so i cant use desktop manager

how cna i get around this???