BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Speaker Problem On Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=181568)

jonpritchard1986 03-17-2009 04:26 AM

Speaker Problem On Bold

Hi,

I am experiencing problemas with the small speakers on the side of my Bold. The sound is really quiet so i miss calls, even when i listen to music on it its really quiet. I have set all my profile to the loudest setting and its still not worked.
Has anyone experienced this problem before? Or does anyone know if there is anythin i can do to correct this without having to have the headset replaced?

Caspan 03-17-2009 08:18 AM

when listening to music I'm sure you have the volume buttons on the side to turn it all the way up?

Mine is too loud so if when even turned up you get minor sound I would have it RMAed

Sengyoku 05-29-2009 07:42 AM

I believe I've been experiencing the same problem with the phone speakers as you have; I've been getting little or no sound at times coming from the 2 phone speakers on the bold, the volume controls do not affect this at all.

I've discovered upon further inspection after opening the back lid of the bold, that it may be a loose part; when i depress the panel where the camera flash LED is, the sound returns, possibly to it's loudest (it becomes very loud and clear!) but then it will often return to the quiet state after moving around a bit or being in the pocket...

so with that I think I have identified the problem itself, however, I don't know how to find a permanent solution to it, I've just resorted to just trying to press the LED panel at the back whenever I find it gets too quiet...perhaps this is a design fault?

gtivr6r 06-20-2009 05:16 PM

I too have discovered the same problem with my Bold.
As soon as I snap the battery door closed, the sounds is cut in half.

In my case. if you press on the area around the LED flash, the sounds
with be effected. If you let go, its nice and loud.

There is an indentaion in the battery cover itself allowing space for the flash
thingy, but it doesnt seem deep enough for when the cover is snapped in
place, the sound is effected.

I was gunna try to use my cordless dremel and try to slightly deep the indentaion
in the bace of the battey cover and see if I can make a tiny bit
more room.

Is this a common problem?

rdef 06-20-2009 06:55 PM

Most likely the midplate is not contacting the main board properly. The midplate is the part of the part where the battery fits in. This part also houses parts like the camera and the speakers. The midplate connects to the mainboard electronically via a variety on contacts. If the contacts are not mating properly or are dirty, you have problems like you describe.

First, try gently tightening the six torx screws that hold the midplate on. The right middle screw has a white sticker on it. Remove it very carefully. If it's missing or broken, your warranty may be voided. Use an Exacto to bring up half of the sticker, then use tweezers to remove it.

If that does not work, remove the screws and take the midplate off. Gently clean the contacts and reassemble.

footballguru2g 06-20-2009 07:09 PM

Definitely have the same issue

Im tired of missing calls and in some cases alarms. Can someone please tell me a permanent solution.

rdef 06-20-2009 07:40 PM

I just did.

gtivr6r 06-21-2009 01:29 PM

I FIED MINE!!! (y)

The raised plate looking thingy with tiny bumps around the flash seem to be
the cause of my issue.

I just took both thumbs and firmly but getly pressed on bothsides of the
flash plate thingy, and whala! Sound is loud as ever. Seems I reseated it.
Or something.

Pop the battery cover on, sound stays loud.

Seems it can a tad loose when I dropped it a few weks back. D'oh!

ramrodjlg 08-17-2009 09:43 PM

Speaker problem

Hey thanks gtivr6r
Did exactly what you said an it worked like a charm. I have an unlocked Bold with T-mobile so I cant take it back to AT&T for repairs. Thanks a bunch(y)

rfahndrich 10-09-2009 10:24 PM

Thanks guys for all your input on the speaker issues. I did what was suggested and now my sound is back.. I thought the phone was "jacked up" and was worried about it. Thanks again...

Beef 10-27-2009 03:56 AM

Worked for me, too! (discovered the problem after sleeping through an inaudible alarm on an overseas business trip!)

I just pressed quite firmly on the raised plate on either side of the flash. I didn't feel anything click, etc, but the volume came right back to full.

mr_bb 10-30-2009 02:12 PM

I had a similar issue and just liked to say i did the above and it works a treat !

Beef 10-30-2009 05:59 PM

Turns out that the problem recurs quite frequently for me though. Is there something I can do make the fix more enduring?

Has anybody heard if RIM is acknowledging this issue and providing repairs under any sort of extended warranty program?

omerBarlas 11-01-2009 02:50 AM

I had the exact same problem, just take it to a repair shop, it's just fixed in a few minutes.

mircea 11-02-2009 12:51 PM

same problem with mine too... :( i will buy a special screwdriver and try to fix it.