BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   UMA on 9700 (there but not there) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=209757)

santo 11-06-2009 10:54 AM

UMA on 9700 (there but not there)

After playing with the new 9700, it is the ultimate phone minus one feature... UMA (Rogers Talkspot).

After downloading the firmware posted in another post here, it appears that the correct software for GAN/UMA is part of the package. It's jut not enabled on Rogers. As a test, I dropped down to 2G only to see if it made a difference but it did not. As a matter of comparison, the 9000 never had the software and after making a hybrid 9000/8900 variant, UMA did not work because the feature was not possible through the firmware.

The 9700 is capable and has the software, now I just guess it's up to the carriers. Does TMO have UMA enabled?

MidnightDraven 11-06-2009 11:10 AM

Probably.

MrH 11-06-2009 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by santo (Post 1502494)
After playing with the new 9700, it is the ultimate phone minus one feature... UMA (Rogers Talkspot).

After downloading the firmware posted in another post here, it appears that the correct software for GAN/UMA is part of the package. It's jut not enabled on Rogers. As a test, I dropped down to 2G only to see if it made a difference but it did not. As a matter of comparison, the 9000 never had the software and after making a hybrid 9000/8900 variant, UMA did not work because the feature was not possible through the firmware.

The 9700 is capable and has the software, now I just guess it's up to the carriers. Does TMO have UMA enabled?

I have to say that Rogers dropped the ball hugely on this. I've been patiently waiting for the release at a 3G/UMA enabled device. I guess it's back to the 2G/UMA 8900 for me...

Anyone know if there is a way to enable the software on a Rogers phone and just run in 2G when you want to use TalkSpot?

mkehoe 11-07-2009 01:00 PM

does talkspot only work at home? or can it work with any wifi connection?

Like could it be used overseas to call back to Canada?

WorldIRC 11-07-2009 02:39 PM

UMA gets enabled via a COD that Rogers hasn't enabled yet. I am testing a custom made COD file tonight and will report back.

I can't share the file but i will still report back!

HaTaX 11-07-2009 03:01 PM

Has anyone tried getting into the service mode on the 9700 where you can actually manipulate the UMA settings and certificates used? I'm betting if you could get your hands on a UMA enabled BB on Rodgers you'd be able to copy the settings and get somewhere.

This service mode I'm talking about is the one that's not really that well known. Involves your status screen and getting a special code from RIM's website.

Anyone try this yet?

WorldIRC 11-07-2009 03:06 PM

^Yes, like I Said, in the engineering menu, the settings for Rogers are already there with certificates...it's simply amatter of enabling the UMA on the user interface side of things(which requires the COD file).

Harry Azol 11-07-2009 11:34 PM

are you guys talking about the alt + shift + H, menu or another engineering menu?

edit: i guess it is, i was able to get uma working on rogers with my non-rogers 9700 (engineering model). Is there some way for me to extract the COD?

froussy 11-08-2009 08:30 AM

IS the UMA available and fonctionnal with Bell ?

HaTaX 11-09-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Azol (Post 1503356)
edit: i guess it is, i was able to get uma working on rogers with my non-rogers 9700 (engineering model). Is there some way for me to extract the COD?

If you know the COD name you could do it with javaloader. You can list the COD files currently on the device with "javaloader -u dir".

Instructions are here:
Save a .cod file from a device to a computer

AJSHER 11-10-2009 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HaTaX (Post 1504273)
If you know the COD name you could do it with javaloader. You can list the COD files currently on the device with "javaloader -u dir".

Instructions are here:
Save a .cod file from a device to a computer

If you could do this and share the file(s) that would awesome...

nindee 11-17-2009 05:27 AM

Has anyone tried anything yet? I don't have a 9700 yet or I'd mess with it right now...

My 8900 doesn't have a problem going to UMA (Rogers)...so do I simply need to strip the certificates from my 8900 and then upload them into my 9700 when I receive it?

santo 11-17-2009 11:21 AM

The certificates are already there. It's got to be based on Service Book because the software is all there but not enabled and I think some configuration is missing.

dufferdan 11-29-2009 08:15 PM

anyone figured out away to get UMA working on Rogers yet with this phone?

Kwammi 11-30-2009 03:23 AM

Best way for it to be enabled is for all of us to call them until they fix it. Wish it was that simple.

clitrenta 11-30-2009 09:07 AM

Far as I know, T-Mobile is the only carrier with UMA working. It works great for me and is a difinite reason for staying with T-Mo. I love it. :smile:

digitalextremes 12-01-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrH (Post 1502556)
I have to say that Rogers dropped the ball hugely on this. I've been patiently waiting for the release at a 3G/UMA enabled device. I guess it's back to the 2G/UMA 8900 for me...

Anyone know if there is a way to enable the software on a Rogers phone and just run in 2G when you want to use TalkSpot?

it's not Rogers fault, UMA has issues with 3G network (HSPA) and need some new components (HSN I believe) on 3G network in order to work, will come soon. The reason why it didnt work for you 2G is because you are using another career's handheld code which doesn't have rogers UMA settings and the certificate which you need in order to connect to the HSN and the security gateway before you even get to the HSN

HaTaX 12-01-2009 10:33 PM

If UMA has issues with 3G connections, how did T-Mobile work those show stoppers out before their release? I'm guessing they had issues when they tested it or had other reasons for holding back UMA functionality on the phone.

Maybe they'll add it back in the future with a software release? I'm pretty sure the 9700 they've been shipping is capable of it from a hardware standpoint.

infamouskid 12-02-2009 01:03 AM

hey worldirc.

i can enable the engineering menu no problem on any carrier based phone and have full access to the uma options however i cannot post how i am abke to do this for certain reasons.. what should i be looking? because when i access the menu on my rogers 9700 and att 9700 i noticed in uma options that it is set to 3gppp and uma 1.04 like the 8900 i am also noticing some missing segw certs on the 9700 but the 8900 has.
also i notice when trying to save settings after mimicing the 8900 settings i get an error saying please specify operator name.

does anyone know the uma profile settings for rogers, tmobile and fido??

if anyone has any ideas please lemme know so i can try this on my 9700 and help solve this mystery.

MrH 12-08-2009 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by infamouskid (Post 1519190)
bump

I second that...