BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   My 3 cents on OS 5.0 for the Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=186199)

Nyce Daytona 04-16-2009 10:13 AM

My 3 cents on OS 5.0 for the Bold

As a former Storm user turn Bold user I have to say that I prefer EVERYTHING about the bold over the storm including the menu & sub- menu layouts. I was just curious to know am I the only one in BB world that prefers OS .247 over 5.0?

I can honestly say that OS 4.6 is the cleanest,crisp and most attractive OS featured on any blackberry IMO.

I gues if I wanted a OS that looked like the Storm I would have stuck with the Storm. I personally think the upgrade kind of causes the Bold to lose its "unique" look.

What are your thoughts? I'm interested in what others feel about .247 vs 5.0.

John Clark 04-16-2009 10:18 AM

You can run 4.6 for as long as you want. However, I'd plan on getting used to 5.0 at some point in the future as that's where all the devices are headed. That being said, I'm not running 5.0 on my Javelin yet. It's just not ready. Keep in mind that 5.0 is not ready for release and you shouldn't have even seen it yet. The finished product may be much nicer than what you've seen.

Nyce Daytona 04-16-2009 10:27 AM

Thanks for the feedback JC. I'll keep an eye out for the "official" version and see if thats more to my liking. One question though, once 5.0 goes live will developers fizzle out designing apps for OS 4.6?

kirrinjones 04-16-2009 10:29 AM

Wirelessly posted

If viigo was compatible with 5.0 I would upgrade now to test it out, but don't want to be without my viigo. I too am using .247 on my bold and I must say its faster, smoother, and battery life is excellent.

I will be upgrading as soon as 5.0 is ready, just so I can compare.

John Clark 04-16-2009 10:30 AM

The JDE developer application that compiles applications is forward compatible. So, if someone codes an application in JDE 5.0 then it will work on OS 5.0 and higher. There will likely be apps written for older OS's for quite some time. But, many will eventually be 5.0 and higher required. RIM adds new api's and new features to api's and for developers to take advantage of those new features it requires them to code in the latest JDE and thus requiring you to be running the latest OS.

Nyce Daytona 04-16-2009 10:39 AM

Ok I get it now...thanks again!

DacyJ 04-16-2009 11:50 AM

Wirelessly posted (Hey I'm cool…)

I think this one leaked WAY to soon.

CoDudette 04-16-2009 12:26 PM

i do beta os updates, but i'd rather wait till this one is more 'clean'. i am on .237, and i've had no issues with it at all, so i'd rather wait till 5.0 gets a solid go ahead.. even if it's a later beta :)

Dellman87 04-16-2009 02:28 PM

Even with a 5.0 update, you KNOW there is going to be bugs. Just like every new update, there are always bugs, or new bugs that don't get fixed, or will develop later on when more and more people are using it.

ruconscious 04-16-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirrinjones (Post 1354819)
Wirelessly posted

If viigo was compatible with 5.0 I would upgrade now to test it out, but don't want to be without my viigo. I too am using .247 on my bold and I must say its faster, smoother, and battery life is excellent.

I will be upgrading as soon as 5.0 is ready, just so I can compare.

i'm so with you on that one. i have the left convenience key set for viigo. i need that info quick. so viigo works for me. i have the right convencience key set for twitterberry. i stay active. the camera is just an after thought...

mike_187 04-16-2009 08:06 PM

its not that big of a difference to make it look different.

mostly looks the same, just a bit cleaner.
i have to say a lot more responsive too.
pretty stable beta.