BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Mac Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Torch not recognised by Desktop Manager (on a Mac) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=246998)

JJD 04-01-2011 02:48 PM

Torch not recognised by Desktop Manager (on a Mac)

Dear all
i have a BB Torch and have been synchronising to Desktop manager on a PC laptop without a problem for months. I have either seen the light or moved to the darkside and gone to a Mac platform. The mac has the latest version of desktop manager but i cannot get it to recognise the handset (other than as a USB drive). I have reinstalled the desktop manager and also battery pulled the handset but absolutely no change.
Any advice really really welcome

Dubdub 04-01-2011 03:15 PM

Re: Torch not recognised by Desktop Manager

Moved to the Mac Section

What OS is running on your Mac?

And please update your profile to reflect the 9800 as your current device.

kastefam 04-01-2011 06:05 PM

Re: Torch not recognised by Desktop Manager (on a Mac)

I had the same issue with my 9700 on my new MacBook Pro. I found out that Blackberry Desktop Manager does not run on 64 bit machines. to solve my issue I restarted my MBP while holding down the 3 and 2 keys...bingo!! It worked! After a synch I restarted again....you would think RIM would solve this issue.

Hope this works for you.

tsac 04-01-2011 08:41 PM

Rim does have a fix.

KB19728-BlackBerry Desktop Software is unable to detect the BlackBerry smartphone when the Mac computer is booted into Mac OS X 10.6 64-bit mode

ErnestoD 04-10-2011 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac (Post 1711846)
Rim does have a fix.

That is not a real fix!
Actually is just the same that "kastefam" is saying!

Repeating the same answer in other words is not cool at all...
You should said that "RIM knows about the problem"; because the KB19728 is just about that, and.... No real solution, in the meanwhile boot on 32 bit mode your capable 64-bit Mac....

Let's hope RIM bring us a REAL FIX on the next version of DM for Mac

Jagga 04-17-2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErnestoD (Post 1713637)
That is not a real fix!
Actually is just the same that "kastefam" is saying!

Repeating the same answer in other words is not cool at all...
You should said that "RIM knows about the problem"; because the KB19728 is just about that, and.... No real solution, in the meanwhile boot on 32 bit mode your capable 64-bit Mac....

Let's hope RIM bring us a REAL FIX on the next version of DM for Mac

Well its not a problem at all really. You need to READ the download page as it clearly states what is supported:

Quote:

Mac OS X v10.5.7 and above (Only 32-bit mode is supported on Mac OS X v10.6)
Source: BlackBerry Desktop Software for Mac

So as stated above clearly its a fix - not a problem. You should be happy RIM found the fix and posted it on their documentation - next time take a gander to read what is supported before downloading and not play the blame game. I do hope RIM has a 64-bit support for OS X soon as well.

EDIT: I stand corrected ... the latest version apparantly supports 64-bit mode, yet the main download site has not been updated.

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/micro...00%20386646976

I'm curious what your System Profiler shows vs what is listed as a screenshot in the above link previously posted by tsac.

TaurusWriter 04-19-2011 12:53 PM

downloading the updated version worked for me....I've only synced once, and it worked fine. JUST TOOK FOREVER! But everything looks good....

dulcamara 04-19-2011 07:52 PM

Downloaded new version today. My 64bit MacPro found my 9000 for the first time since I booted OSX into 64bit mode.