BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   BES 4.1 Coming Soon (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=14582)

corey@12mile 08-30-2005 07:57 AM

BES 4.1 Coming Soon

If anyone is interested and has a Blackberry Partner login, tomorrow at noon there is going to be a sneak peak webcast of BES 4.1

Here's the details that are given for the webcast...

Document Type: Webcast

Document Category: IT Administrator, What's New

Original Broadcast Date: Wednesday, August 31st, 2005
12pm - 1pm EDT

Presenter: Steve Knapp, Senior Product Manager, Research In Motion

Target Audience: IT, System Administrators

Overview: BlackBerry Enterprise Server™ v4.1 is the next significant BlackBerry Enterprise Server release. This webcast will highlight the features and benefits that will be part of the release.

Key BlackBerry Enterprise Server v4.1 features:
• Core BlackBerry Enterprise Server features: Role Based Administration; Group Administration
• Enterprise Instant Messaging including support for Sametime, Windows® Messenger and GroupWise® Messenger
• BlackBerry Mobile Data System (MDS) v4.1, the exciting new development environment that provides easy access to back office applications

FlemmingRiis 08-30-2005 10:30 AM

Thanks for the heads up , adds to tasks :D

ocman 08-30-2005 12:12 PM

Im in.

jibi 08-30-2005 12:34 PM

For those who don't have a Partner login, you can register here:

http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry...ntSelected=158

Wisespent 08-30-2005 02:14 PM

for those that will be alseep could someone post a summary please.

Thanks in advance

corey@12mile 08-30-2005 02:20 PM

Anyone with a partner login can view the entire webcast at anytime after the original viewing. There are over 100 webcasts available to be viewed.

cd.

jrbes 08-30-2005 02:39 PM

Connect with...

Anyone going to the 1 day conference in Chicago on the 7th\8th of September?

1badss 08-30-2005 07:27 PM

we use windows messager at our office but it is for interoffice use only, is there any chance that a windows messager service for the blackberry that would be able to work with this service. I am using a 7520 with a BES V4.0

bbmember 08-30-2005 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1badss
we use windows messager at our office but it is for interoffice use only, is there any chance that a windows messager service for the blackberry that would be able to work with this service. I am using a 7520 with a BES V4.0

If you see the post above by corey it is listed as a feature of 4.1.

MarvinK 08-30-2005 08:33 PM

BES 4.1 - Supporting Notes 7?

I hope Notes 7 is supported with version 4.1!

jibi 08-30-2005 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Anyone with a partner login can view the entire webcast at anytime after the original viewing. There are over 100 webcasts available to be viewed.

cd.

http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry...ontent&topic=6

They've added a lot of that content, if not all of it, to the Resource Center, which is available for the public.

1badss 08-31-2005 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbmember
If you see the post above by corey it is listed as a feature of 4.1.

That is why I was asking, I see that it is going to be available, but what I was asking is if you would be able to use it on a private internal network. the windows messager service at my company does not allow you to talk to someone outside of the company. I wanted to know if I would be able to communicate with people within my company from my blackberry.

jibi 08-31-2005 08:23 AM

i'm guessing this is more for Exchange 2000 users, since it has the built-in messenger functionality that was removed with Exchange 2003. that is, unless you are able to enable Windows Messenger for corporate-only, which i'm sure can be done, although we don't have an enterprise IM client here sans Office Communicator (which hasn't been deployed widespread here yet).

and speaking of, they are also enabling Office Communicator for BlackBerry at some point later this year, from what i've read/heard. a beta is still not out for it, though, but when it is, i will post up some screenshots of it in action.

:-)

MarvinK 08-31-2005 01:24 PM

Probably wont see BES until end of the year.. and some cell providers wont put out the handheld upgrades until late first quarter... but there are some really cool new features. One of the biggest features in my mind is the role-based administration! Built-in corporate messaging is obviously another big one.

jibi 09-01-2005 08:33 AM

Direct Link:
http://www.resourcecenter.blackberry...playerPref=win

mikej5780 09-01-2005 09:03 AM

Phase 1 beta kicks off next week...I'm excited to see how these new features pan out!

Fordman302 09-01-2005 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbes
Anyone going to the 1 day conference in Chicago on the 7th\8th of September?

Yeah, well be there on the 7th. I hope it's worth it..

TroyB 09-06-2005 10:58 AM

I listened to a recap of the Webcast. Anyone know anything more about the "Pin2PIN and SMS message Audit logs"? Is the BES actually going to start archiving these messages so we'll no longer need a third party vendor to do that or am I misunderstanding?

mikej5780 09-07-2005 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyB
Anyone know anything more about the "Pin2PIN and SMS message Audit logs"? Is the BES actually going to start archiving these messages so we'll no longer need a third party vendor to do that or am I misunderstanding?

Thats the way i understand it. I don't know for sure, but i bet it will function like the BlackBerry Messenger Auditing added in 4.0.2 where each handheld automatically sends a report via email to a designated mailbox every X hours.

BBSS 12-22-2005 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TroyB
I listened to a recap of the Webcast. Anyone know anything more about the "Pin2PIN and SMS message Audit logs"? Is the BES actually going to start archiving these messages so we'll no longer need a third party vendor to do that or am I misunderstanding?

What third party vendor do you use to capture PIN and SMS. We disable outbound PIN and SMS on our BBs but inbound PIN and SMS can not be blocked on the BBs. We have been evaluating vendors to determine who is the best with capturing this inbound information.