BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Bluetooth Connection (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Bluetooth FAQ (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6310)

Tom 04-11-2005 01:47 AM

Bluetooth FAQ

The Bluetooth FAQ

What is BlueTooth?

Bluetooth is a low bandwidth wireless networking technology designed primarily to replace cables*for communication between personal computing/communication devices. It is intended to be used for both voice and data communications. As of late 2004, Bluetooth is a very common standard for wireless communications between cell phones and PDAs, headsets.

Who Developed BlueTooth?

Bluetooth was initiated by Ericsson, IBM, Intel, Nokia and Toshiba in early 1998. These companies later formed a special interest group known as the Bluetooth SIG. Today, many companies are members of the Bluetooth SIG; and all are committed to developing and supporting the Bluetooth standard.*

Bluetooth* became an IEEE (Institute of* Electrical* and Electronics Engineers) standard during 2002. Acceptance of Bluetooth as an industry standard is important for both consumers and manufacturers alike, because of the promise of interoperability* attracts more companies into the market and lowers prices.

What is the range of Bluetooth transmitter/receivers?

Bluetooth is designed for very low power use, and the transmission range will only be 10m, about 30ft. High-powered Bluetooth devices will enable ranges up to 100m (300ft). Considering*the design philosophy behind Bluetooth, even the 10m range is adequate for the purposes Bluetooth is intended for.

What RIM Devices support BlueTooth?

At this time, the only devices that support Bluetooth are the BlackBerry 7100 Series, 7290, 7520, and 7250, 81xx series, 87xx series, 83xx series, and 88xx series.

What devices do BlackBerrys Support?

Currently BlackBerrys with Bluetooth only support audio headsets/carsets. Data related bluetooth is coming soon, but unavailable at this time.

What Carkits/Headsets are supported by BlackBerrys?

A good place to start is the Headset Reviews Thread. Another thread is The Supported Headsets Thread for further information on what is supported.

Please post if you have something more to add to this FAQ.

headtailgrep 10-17-2005 11:09 AM

Someone want to summarize the Bluetooth Keyboards that are supported and function? Also, explain why we can't connect any Bluetooth keyboard to a Blackberry..

headtailgrep 10-17-2005 12:49 PM

Here's a great Bluetooth FAQ from Rim, which gives more details about Bluetooth and Blackberries:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgec...jAction=browse

DanMan 02-21-2006 08:16 PM

Can you still answer a call on a BT headset while the BB is holstered?

KonTiki 02-21-2006 08:36 PM

Yes

Patas 03-04-2006 01:00 AM

New Question

Hello, I have a BB 7520 so if I understood everything okay, my bluetooth cannot exchange data. Whats the point of pairing devices? Can I transfer photos, ringtones or programs?

Thank You

RickCharles 04-18-2006 04:05 PM

please read the FAQ:

Quote:

What devices do BlackBerrys Support?

Currently BlackBerrys with Bluetooth only support audio headsets/carsets. Data related bluetooth is coming soon, but unavailable at this time.

HIH 04-18-2006 04:38 PM

Hey, if you are on the Dell D series laptop, don't attempt everything on the "hints" coz you will screw up the laptop as I did.

The BT driver thing totally rip me off -- don't take me wrong here: I am not a computer geek but really as good as our IT guys. :)

Good luck

steve.pearl 04-20-2006 03:12 PM

Our Security division is adamant about disabling bluetooth. Anyone know of any whitepapers etc I can show them to allow us to use it?
Thanks

trinybwoy 04-27-2006 03:06 AM

would it be possible to have this "sticky" updated to reflect the new blackberry 8700?

i heard that it is possible to use the bluetooth feature to tether as a modem to go online.

rmrocket 04-29-2006 11:49 AM

Raising volume on Bluetooth

When I purchased my bluetooth for my cell phone last year (motarola) the ear piece volume was low.

I was reading an article in a magazine at the time were a computer geek broke a code to raise the volume. I did it and was able to notice a big difference in volume. I can not find the article and would like to know if anyone saw it.

Please advise if you are aware of how to raise the volume

Thanks

Rich

nevi 05-17-2006 03:08 PM

The CDMA Blackberry 7250 BT is enabled for Data Transfer

afox3600 05-23-2006 09:58 PM

Hi...I am a new member, and I just bought a Blackberry 8700. Does it support data transfer so that I can synchronize it to my contacts?

Andy

trinybwoy 05-23-2006 10:01 PM

Yes it does.

WayneM 06-08-2006 09:57 AM

Belkin Bluetooth to 8700C - Can't get sync to work. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinybwoy
Yes it does.

I first tried a top-o-the-line Kensington USB Bluetooth adapter but could not make that work because it used its own software and I could not make it work with just the native XP Home Edition (SP2).

Checked the Microsoft supported Bluetooth list (which is VERY short) and bought a Belkin USB Adapter Model F8T012. Along with being supported by MS and having the designed for XP logo (doesn't say it WORKS with XP however) and it was the only one that showed a profile list on the back including "Sync" "File Transport" and "Serial Port". It says it is Bluetooth standard "Version 2.0 +EDR"

I went through pairing and a variety of the suggestions on various forums and, while I can get the Blackberry 8700C to audio connect to my Toshiba Satellite M45 notebook I haven't been able to come up with the right settings to enable Sync to work.

Is there a step-by-step process documented anywhere. I haven't been able to find one. Just suggestions in forum comments and those don't seem to work.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Wayne Munn

apaul 07-09-2006 12:42 PM

Hi Wayne: any chance you can supply the address for that Microsoft -supported Bluetooth page. I tried searching the MS Knowledge Base to no avail.
Thanks in advance.:smile:
Alan
Found the Article 841803, thanks. Kind of out-of-date (November '04). Tried a search on Tiger Direct and can't find one of them.

WayneM 07-09-2006 07:26 PM

That article is the only one I have seen. Although dated I believe it was for XP SP2. BTW, I have just returned my second Bluetooth USB device for my Toshiba device because, after hours and hours of work, it would not work with the BB 8700C to sync. I would allow me to connect to all sorts of headsets and whatever, but I could not get it to enable syncing the BB with Outlook 2003 on this XP SP2 notebook.

I'm giving up for now since plugging the USB Bluetooth dongle into the notebook really wasn't any more convenient that plugging a cable into the BB. From what I can see after two different Bluetooth devices (Kensington and Belkin) Bluetooth and Blackberry just isn't worth it.

msop2001 07-20-2006 09:30 AM

I also bought the cheapest Belkin bluetooth adapter I could find (on eBay, paid $10). Uses Microsoft's software. Works perfectly with my 7100t for Intellisync.

adpb99@yahoo.co.uk 11-25-2006 07:56 AM

I've just got a BB Pearl 8100. It will pair with devices and I can send pictures, data etc succesfully to other phones but the transfer always fails in reverse. Is this because Bluetooth is not yet fully supported or is there something I've got set up wrong. I have ensured my BB is visible and have disabled encryption but to no avail. Any suggestions?

jmrguy 12-14-2006 05:21 PM

I am very new to the BB, but I haven't been able to find an answer. I have a 7290. Does anyone know if it is possible to connect to websites on the BB through a bluetooth or USB enabled computer with internet access?

Any ideas?? I know it is possible to go the other way (use the BB as a modem), but can I use the computer as an access point without having to pay for a BES or internet service from my cell phone provider?