BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Beta You Than Me (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118)
-   -   4.5 Killing sim cards? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=131660)

flash24 05-25-2008 05:01 AM

4.5 Killing sim cards?

It happened to me and reportedly to some who have installed 4.5 to their blackberry device. I've only had the sim card for about 6 months and all of a sudden my blackberry wont connect to tmobile. What could have cause this? 4.5? Any of you guys experience this?

JSanders 05-25-2008 06:26 AM

Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

I haven't had any issues and haven't heard of any either.

How are you certain that it was the OS and what happened?

NJBlackBerry 05-25-2008 07:30 AM

Moved to the Beta thread.
Where was this "reported" please?

flash24 05-25-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 943082)
Wirelessly posted (8310; The Juggernaut)

I haven't had any issues and haven't heard of any either.

How are you certain that it was the OS and what happened?

I've only had my sim card for 6 months, I was running 4.5 on my 8320 and then all of a sudden, I can't connect with the tmobile network.

Same thing happened to a friend, when he upgraded to 4.5

I'm not exactly sure it's the 4.5, but I've never had this problem with 4.2.

Cory Scheuer 05-25-2008 11:59 AM

i have upgraded my 4.5 4 times now and have never had this issue at all!

flash24 05-25-2008 12:05 PM

What could be another possible cause then?

rachamphetamine 05-25-2008 12:23 PM

Aren't sim cards only supposed to last for about a year? It could be that they just hit their due date and checked out because of that. How old was your friend's sim card?

flash24 05-25-2008 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rachamphetamine (Post 943323)
Aren't sim cards only supposed to last for about a year? It could be that they just hit their due date and checked out because of that. How old was your friend's sim card?

He had his for less than a year and I've had mine for only six months. Sim cards are suppose to last for more than a year.

John Clark 05-25-2008 12:32 PM

Sim cards last a lot longer than a year.

NOt sure what would cause this problem.

NJBlackBerry 05-25-2008 01:51 PM

I've had the same SIM card for at least 5 years.
And we have some Omnipoint cards still around (that was before Voicestream which was before T-Mobile).
Not sure where this One Year comment came from.

tsubasa55 05-25-2008 01:57 PM

i dont know its because of the 4.5 but what but im having the same problem cant connect to network (sim not allowed)
any advice would be appreciated???

flash24 05-25-2008 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsubasa55 (Post 943381)
i dont know its because of the 4.5 but what but im having the same problem cant connect to network (sim not allowed)
any advice would be appreciated???

Try your sim card with other phone if it works, then it's not the sim card. Also try a "working" sim card on your berry.

hotburnttoast 05-25-2008 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash24 (Post 943056)
It happened to me and reportedly to some who have installed 4.5 to their blackberry device. I've only had the sim card for about 6 months and all of a sudden my blackberry wont connect to tmobile. What could have cause this? 4.5? Any of you guys experience this?

This happened to me with 4.5.0.37, it did something to my sim card in the middle of the night, my sim card was only like 2 months old.

flash24 05-25-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotburnttoast (Post 943465)
This happened to me with 4.5.0.37, it did something to my sim card in the middle of the night, my sim card was only like 2 months old.

Same exact thing happened to me, I was just watching TV one afternoon and then all of a sudden UMA is gone, no EDGE, no nothing.

Also, sim card will cost you $20 (tmobile) make sure you contact them first, maybe you can get a free one, if not they will give you credit for it.

flash24 05-25-2008 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 943379)
And we have some Omnipoint cards still around (that was before Voicestream which was before T-Mobile).

lol I think it's time to upgrade your sim.

rachamphetamine 05-25-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 943379)

I heard it from a T-Mobile rep. It was probably just something to get me to buy another one but mine did end up kicking the bucket at a little after a year. My mistake!

jibi 05-25-2008 04:19 PM

There is a chance that carriers and/or RIM are monitoring the networks and killing devices and/or SIM cards. I wouldn't put it past them, as I know someone's pre-release BlackBerry 9000 was rendered useless by RIM.

They have the right to protect their networks, although I also think someone could very easily slap a lawsuit against them, if proven this was the case.

hotburnttoast 05-25-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi (Post 943504)
There is a chance that carriers and/or RIM are monitoring the networks and killing devices and/or SIM cards. I wouldn't put it past them, as I know someone's pre-release BlackBerry 9000 was rendered useless by RIM.

They have the right to protect their networks, although I also think someone could very easily slap a lawsuit against them, if proven this was the case.

How on earth can they tell if we are running beta software on our phones.... Why on earth would they start with 4.5.0.37 and not the others?

jibi 05-25-2008 04:42 PM

What do you mean how can they tell? Your phone registers with their network. When you get a new phone and login to T-Mobile's Customer Care Portal, it asks if you want to update your profile with the new device. They own the network. Think of the carrier or RIM as 'God' - all-knowing...

...as for why this release, I have no clue. Perhaps since this release ultimately kills UMA (first one to do this), maybe they thought it best that their customers not be able to use it.

Or maybe this is the reason why UMA wasn't working in the first place. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me a bit to see a carrier start blocking devices running certain rogue OS versions that have the potential of harming their network (more of a legal thought than actual reality).

Lex Luthor 05-25-2008 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash24 (Post 943056)

Have you tried wiping the device than reloading the OS? I've had that issue in the past with both OS 4.2 as well as OS 4.5 but a reload of the OS corrected the issue for me.