BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry In the News (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Even Worse Than Expected (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=260273)

NJBlackBerry 06-28-2012 03:45 PM

Even Worse Than Expected

Bigger loss than expected.
BB 10 delayed until 2013.

RIMM Falls 18%; BB10 Delayed; FYQ1 Rev $2.8B, $0.37/Sh Loss - Tech Trader Daily - Barrons.com

News Headlines

Put a fork in it.

mriff 06-28-2012 05:07 PM

Re: Even Worse Than Expected

1 Attachment(s)
That's too bad. Started off with one of these. I still fire it up every once in a while just to see if it still works.

ZombieBerry 06-28-2012 05:12 PM

What a joke. I just attended BBJam last week!! They never mentioned the delay in BB10. Talking to some devs who are pissed @ RIM right now!!
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

NJBlackBerry 06-28-2012 05:21 PM

Not telling the truth is the worst thing to do to your customers (and in this case, developers). When they announced the layoffs a few weeks back, they had to know that BB 10 was nowhere near done. If they DIDN'T know, then they are more inept than we had thought.

I know the evangelists (I used to be one) over on other forums are consoling each other and saying "it's all right" but it is over.

Stock down 14% in after hours trading down to $7.84; had bottomed out at $7.50.

It's sad and unfortunate.

John Clark 06-28-2012 05:26 PM

It really is a shame. I was pulling for them but pissing off the devs like that is inexcusable.

ZombieBerry 06-28-2012 05:27 PM

I have to agree. To announce this at this time, surely means they (RIM) knew about the delay.

Yeah BBM groups and other forums are getting ready for the wake. Telling each other how this news can't be THAT bad (Yeah, it sort of is though). SMH. Now I have to grab an Android or Windows device. It's too bad, I was looking forward to BB10.

NJBlackBerry 06-28-2012 05:32 PM

I was the "I will never switch from a BlackBerry" guy. The old timers know me. And I switched. I really like my Windows Phone (got a nice OS upgrade today) and will switch to WP8 when that comes out. I'm done.

John Clark 06-28-2012 05:58 PM

And that is happening to MANY. There is nothing left to buy even if one did want to stay. In reality we won't see BB10 til June 2013.

dc/dc 06-28-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1781362)
I was the "I will never switch from a BlackBerry" guy. The old timers know me. And I switched. I really like my Windows Phone (got a nice OS upgrade today) and will switch to WP8 when that comes out. I'm done.

Same here. I personally owned 46 BlackBerry devices over 6 years, and swore I'd never rely on anything else even when I also had iPhones or WM devices they were never my primary device.

fourstringfuror 06-28-2012 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mriff (Post 1781350)
That's too bad. Started off with one of these. I still fire it up every once in a while just to see if it still works.

Still one of my favorite devices I've ever owned.

tsac 06-28-2012 08:00 PM

This is what management at the top of some companies is all about ....stupidity.
Somehow they never see reality and think customers and others are blind.

stevetaz 06-29-2012 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac (Post 1781372)
This is what management at the top of some companies is all about ....stupidity.
Somehow they never see reality and think customers and others are blind.

The only explanation that makes sense to me is that the air in the executive suite must be different. The lighting may be rose-colored also.

I still miss the BB keyboard, but I know now we will never be going back....

<sigh>

rickw717 06-29-2012 08:04 AM

It is a shame. I was with BB for over 6 years. Wife still has he 9900 (for now). Always liked my BB, but got a Lumia 900 last month and I love it. When it's set up right, it's the closest thing to my BB. Was thinking that if the BB10 proved to be a good phone, I'd use my wife upgrade and get the new BB10 (just make the switch thru AT&T). But, I think I've given up on that idea after that. I still miss the keyboard, but I don't thing I'm going back to BB now. Even have a playbook, but with no updates coming to it (at least it doesn't look like it), I'll probably end up with a Surface in the near future. Just a shame about RIM....but this is what happens when a company refuses to remove the blinders.

John Clark 06-29-2012 09:36 AM

Who said anything about "no more keyboards". RIM says they will offer BB10 devices with keyboards. Its just.a matter of when and if they don't get taken over or busted up.

ZombieBerry 06-29-2012 09:46 AM

With the delay until Q1 of 2013, they will probably release both the non and kb version around the same time.

stevetaz 06-29-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZombieBerry (Post 1781434)
With the delay until Q1 of 2013, they will probably release both the non and kb version around the same time.

Q1 in RIM-speak means what based on their history? May, June, July, maybe? 2013, 2014? Very sad......

jsconyers 06-29-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

True, but how many people are really going to hold off that long? How many more losses will RIM report between now and then? What will their market share be at that point? Android 4.1 is rolling out, iOS 6 is rolling out, the iPhone 5 will be released... RIM is so far behind already at this point, and just falling further behind, to the point that there is no catching up.

Most likely, by the time BB10 is officially released, the features will be available in Android and iOS, which will cause users to completely overlook the devices/OS.

The Prophet 06-29-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

If there still is a customer base that is willing to upgrade to BB10

Happy 5th Birthday Iphone !!!!

dc/dc 06-29-2012 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1781436)
True, but how many people are really going to hold off that long? How many more losses will RIM report between now and then? What will their market share be at that point? Android 4.1 is rolling out, iOS 6 is rolling out, the iPhone 5 will be released... RIM is so far behind already at this point, and just falling further behind, to the point that there is no catching up.

Most likely, by the time BB10 is officially released, the features will be available in Android and iOS, which will cause users to completely overlook the devices/OS.

And there's also no mention of the BB10 devices supporting LTE in any flavour, which will be just another reason to skip it.

ZombieBerry 06-29-2012 10:14 AM

@stevetaz - From your fingers to RIM's screens...LoL I was being generous. Q1 ends in March, so a minimum 7-10 month, and that is IF there are no more delays.

@jsconyers - True. I do not expect very many (with the exception of the very faithful), but don't forget, there are BlackBerry supporters who are using older devices now, may be in the middle of a contract, who will still buy an OS 7.1 device. Allowing RIM some elbow room. Enough to help save them? IMO, I am not sure. Slim hope. With the current issues they face, I am really worried about their hardware standing the test of time. As newer tech is introduced to the mobile markets, will RIM have the ability keep up development AND still be able to flesh out their OS so that when/if it is ever released, it will still be competitive with what else is out there.

@The Prophet - Yeah, it's a crapshoot for sure.