BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   4.2.1.103 dropping calls? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=90572)

Guitarded 08-14-2007 11:36 PM

4.2.1.103 dropping calls?

Does anyone else have trouble with calls dropping frequently after upgrading to the latest software for the pearl?

I've been having problems, that may or may not be associated with only tmobile to tmobile calls. One person I talked to I don't know who their carrier is, and it's too late to test call anyone else right now. But the other four people I talked to ARE all on tmo. Any way, after about a minute into the call it will either drop like a traditional dropped call. Or it will sometimes also go silent/dead air and neither party can hear each other.

I've also experienced problems with extreme slow loading issues, and hour glasses when new calls come in (I'm assuming the phone was trying to find the MP3 ringtone on my memory card, I canged it to a default ringer and it fixed this problem)

Anyone else having these problems? Any solutions? Any one have a link to an old OS, this one blows chunks!

Cory Scheuer 08-14-2007 11:42 PM

if you want the .101 i have it. but have no idea how to get it to you...

sgtcasey 08-15-2007 12:12 AM

edit

Lex Luthor 08-15-2007 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guitarded (Post 633703)
Any one have a link to an old OS, this one blows chunks!

At this time it's still posted as a sticky at the top of this forum. Here is the link: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...2-1-101-a.html

Terrain 08-15-2007 12:29 AM

I agree with Dave, if you are dropping calls it's one of two things: The OS installation failed somewhere along the line and needs to be redone or: some emerging issue on the network that needs to be reported.

Thats a real bummer that its not workin for you tho. Hope you get it figured out.

CaptSwerve 08-15-2007 12:42 AM

I have T-Mobile and I didn't drop any calls today. I upgraded last night while I slept. The OS has been working great for me.

cheschi 08-15-2007 12:43 AM

I'm a T-mobile customer. In the past few months, I had upgraded once or twice, only to get rid of the annoying "delayed microphone" that was a bug in .64 -- where no one can hear me for the first two seconds of a call.

After upgrading beyond .73 (?), I started getting the dropped calls. It seemed like every call, sometimes 5 seconds into the call. I tried wiping my phone, reinstalling, and even got a new SIM card.

No luck. The only thing that solved the problem was wiping the phone and going back to .64 version.

This morning, I upgraded to .103 -- DROPPED CALLS AGAIN. I am so frustrated. It doesn't seem to be a "known issue" yet with T-mobile.

I'll probably go back and see if .73 (?) will work, so I can at least get rid of the "delayed microphone."

Would be curious to hear of any others with same issue. Thanks for starting this thread.

sgtcasey 08-15-2007 12:58 AM

edit

Guitarded 08-15-2007 01:00 AM

Sorry I feel stupid for overlooking the stickey. Cory has been kind enough to offer to email it too.

I have a friend with a pearl who is having the same problem aswell we both tried reinstalling the OS and to no avail. I guess I will try .101 and alert tmo.

I feel the pain on the .64 mic delay. Christ I hated that!

Cory Scheuer 08-15-2007 01:02 AM

i tried emailing it and it didnt work... you have msn? pin me please

Guitarded 08-15-2007 01:05 AM

Sorry I feel stupid for overlooking the stickey. Cory has been kind enough to offer to email it too.

I have a friend with a pearl who is having the same problem aswell we both tried reinstalling the OS and to no avail. I guess I will try .101 and alert tmo.

I feel the pain on the .64 mic delay. Christ I hated that!

tjk1 08-15-2007 01:08 AM

i've been using the new os .103 and have not experienced any dropped calls.

cheschi 08-15-2007 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtcasey (Post 633763)
So far you two are the only ones who have mentioned dropped call issues with .103.

Dave

True that we're the only two people to post on THIS THREAD with the problem. But, interestingly, if you have followed the forums, MANY people who have upgraded beyond .73 have experienced this problem.

I'd imagine that if T-mo publicizes the upgrade, there will be plenty more people with this issue -- I'd imagine not every Pearl user is on the internet upgrading their phones with new releases. So, for many, this will be their first attempt at an OS above .73.

See these threads for other examples/discussion:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...owing-out.html

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ped-calls.html

Also, mine drops calls with a full signal, inside/outside/everywhere.

zimbu1234 08-15-2007 07:50 AM

I know exactly how you feel with the dropped calls after .73. I too went back to .64, TMo's original OS. The only reason I upgraded this time around is because it is should have been tested by TMo. Was on one phone call for a solid hour last night with no drop.

I will need to take a few more phone calls, some while walking around, and just in different areas of my home. I will report back if I have any other issues.

dlpisgreat 08-15-2007 09:10 AM

I had drops with .101, in a building with about 1, maybe 2 bars. Calls lasted for about 2-3 minutes.

Then I was in a different building and did a marathon 1 hr 20 min call with no issues. Same OS. I can't tell you how many bars I had for that one.

Wierd.

BrooklynzFinest 08-15-2007 09:13 AM

I have also been upgrading my pearl with each new OS and since .73 I have been getting dropped calls. With .73 I had to pull the battery out to begin making calls again after .73 just redialing connects the call. .103 has the same issue as other recent OS for the pearl. I was hoping the new Tmo OS would not have the problem since they spent alot of time testing prior to release. At leaset now we can bring it to Tmo attention since this release is certified by them. Hopefully we will get an updated release soon that will fix this problem but dont hold your breath.

sgtcasey 08-15-2007 09:25 AM

edit

rmitchell 08-15-2007 09:51 AM

I have not dropped a call since upgrading to .103 yesterday morning. We have 8 T-Mobile Blackberry Pearls in my office, and I have not heard of any issues experienced by anyone here.

Ophidian 08-15-2007 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtcasey (Post 634007)
I'm not so sure this is software related since I've used various versions of the Blackberry software on my own device from .64 to .103 and most of the ones in between. I've never noticed an increase or decrease in dropped calls and to be honest I've never really been bothered by dropped calls at all.

Dropped calls are 90% of the time a network issue when your call does not transfer over from tower A to tower B quickly enough (for example, while you're driving) or when you are in a low signal area. If you have 1-2 bars of signal and get a dropped call, that's probably why.

Frequent powercycling of the device or simply turning the radio off and back on may resolve the issue since you will renew your network registration and possibly connect to a closer cell tower getting a better signal.

This may help with the 1-2 bars, but not much will help if you get a dropped call while driving. Where are you driving? Are you quickly going into an area with bad or no coverage?

The best way to troubleshoot dropped calls is to note where it happens most often and then check the Personal Coverage website at T-Mobile.com (click on Coverage). If you see good coverage where you seem to have this problem most often, call T-Mobile and ask about filing a service request.

I'm not sure what the Blackberry software might do to cause or not cause dropped calls. Maybe decrease/increase the sensitivity of the wireless radio, but that sounds more like a hardware thing than software to me and better a question for the software folks at RIM. :)

Dave

It really appears that this is both a Network/Software issue. Obviously it is due to the newer OS's we're using. But it's also due to their interaction with the network in certain regions. It really seems like this issue is happening in NY and Dallas, it's not happening to everyone in these regions. It's occuring in rural areas (obv) suburbs (hmm) and within the confines of urban sprawl (?!)

To those of us that this is happening to, we NEED to contact T-Mo and complain. This has been an issue with other carriers versions of 4.2 (past .73 for the Pearl and pretty much anything for an 8700) but now that T-Mo has released their own new versions we have a leg to stand on when talking to them.

ihellion 08-15-2007 12:47 PM

I'm the friend Guitarded spoke about, I am also having this issue. Here is what I've found so far

-Tmobile support sucks - I've called and gotten lost/disconnected twice while people were "looking into this"
-The problem occurs all over my city (Albuquerque)
-The problem occurs while driving, and while stationary
-The problem occurs with 2 bars as well as with 5
-The problem is not issolated to just tmobile to tmobile, I can, sadly, rather easily duplicate the problem with cell phones or land line calls
-The problem started IMMEDIATELY after upgrading my software yesterday morning. I had used the phone extensively earlier in the morning, before the update and it worked fine.
-My roommate has a razr on tmobile and it is not experiencing any network issues.
-Issue effects both incoming and outgoing calls.

So I have the choice of a microphone delay or dropped calls? I'm begining to think this pearl just doesn't like working as a phone, might be time to dig the old 8700 out of the closet and start using that again.