BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Stock/Legal Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   "Pearl" Leaks -- stock price rise this week.. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=43597)

headtailgrep 08-11-2006 10:03 PM

"Pearl" Leaks -- stock price rise this week..

Notice how much Rim's stock has gone up? With the leak of the Pearl information on Engadget, the stock price has really surged this week.

Surely investors see good things coming out of the RIM camp and hopefully the general public agrees and buys the devices.

What do you think? Is the correlation valid?

option94 08-11-2006 10:25 PM

Wirelessly posted (Cingular 7130c: BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

I don't are how it couldn't be valid.

kmccarthy 08-11-2006 10:56 PM

Oh ya, its valid

14pups 08-12-2006 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmccarthy
Oh ya, its valid

Stock had a similiar rise last Aug. as well if you check the charts.
This was in anticipation of Cingular's 8700 release.

There is a pattern and a connection.

adamlau 08-12-2006 06:23 PM

Should have bought a few shares to help support my bad habits...

jungleland 08-13-2006 09:02 AM

has nothing to do with any leak..Just a technical bounce and some movement in the options market

BBAdmin 08-15-2006 05:28 AM

Normally when stuff like new devices leak it actually has a negative effect on the markets. This is because the stock market likes to know what's going on with floated companies, so when people do stupid things like leak images of a device under NDA, the stock market sees it as an unexpected piece of information, and even if that information has great financial implications for the manufacturer, in the short term it tends to impact stock in a negative way.

Boy Genius 08-15-2006 11:50 AM

Unless its the most highly anticipated BlackBerry to ever come out of RIM...then even the idiots on wall st are flipping out, and you have a rise in stock.

gonavyblue 08-17-2006 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBAdmin
so when people do stupid things like leak images of a device under NDA,

(y)

BBAdmin 08-18-2006 01:38 AM

The only reason it annoys me is because when I go to RIM conferences and product days they become more secretive about the new stuff because they're worried people will leak it (despite the fact we have to agree to NDA). I've seen all the specs for the next 2 devices to come to market but no pics because they're too frightened to show anyone!! Don't ask me to disclose details, I can't!!!

Milkman 08-19-2006 08:02 AM

disclose details

headtailgrep 08-30-2006 01:16 PM

Yeah, disclose details! By the way, even the Globe and Mail agrees with me on this one.. reference their latest article

"Blogger spills the beans on RIM's latest toy" (August 30 globe and mail)

(news.google.com, search for this term and you get login-free access)

From the article: "As Boy Genius has been posting, RIM's stock has been surging. It's up 30 per cent this month, closing at $82.74 yesterday on the Nasdaq Stock Mark"

Personally, i think the latest moves by RIM are exactly what is required in order for someone like myself to invest in RIM. Without this, if they did not respond to the growing demand for consumer-oriented features, i would have bailed on RIM stock completely. The new devices are exactly what the market wants, and i think it's clear RIM's investors are agreeing. We'll see in the long term if this is actually what happens, or if RIM can actually deliver a quality product.

Jagga 09-08-2006 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBAdmin
The only reason it annoys me is because when I go to RIM conferences and product days they become more secretive about the new stuff because they're worried people will leak it (despite the fact we have to agree to NDA). I've seen all the specs for the next 2 devices to come to market but no pics because they're too frightened to show anyone!! Don't ask me to disclose details, I can't!!!

Interesting bit of information! could you at least pontificate on the alternative for the 8700 even by stating what new features would be ridiculous? Bah, of course you cant. However with RIM "knowing" who B.G. is - so the latest rounds of rumors state - and not doing anything to stop his filantripping, lol, I wonder if this was a CONTROLLED leak to get consumer insight?! Remember B.G. let us ALL know about this WAY back in January, possibly December if I'm not mistaken. I was amongst the few that believed him from the very start ... EVEN HOPED! Although I doubted IF it would happen ... I didnt thik that it was going to be this GOOD!

headtailgrep 09-08-2006 10:26 AM

doesn't matter now.. =) the cat is out of the bag. The next time BG speaks we'll be listening. Reputation preceeds itself.. but it'll be a while before anything as earth shattering as this occurs. =) (maybe)

headtailgrep 09-29-2006 09:32 AM

Yee haw... ride the wave... 20% jump so far today.. and 8100/8800 sales has barely made a niche.. the next quarter's results are going to be quite revealing!