BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Rumor Mill (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Keyone? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=267756)

btaylor1 05-13-2017 10:54 AM

Keyone?

i need a physical keyboard for my handheld. i'm still using q10, and i have one mothballed for use after current q10 gives up ghost. i was thrilled maybe last month to see blackberry (or a blackberry contractor) may be be putting out a "KEYone" model later with some sort of android stuff (not of any interest to me) but also physical keyboard (essential to me). i am studying the review below this morning and wondered if others had thoughts. (not meaning to sound too xenophobic but confess have a little concern about manufacturer being in china. worrying for nothing?)

https://www.androidheadlines.com/201...d-returns.html

aiharkness 05-13-2017 11:47 AM

Re: Keyone?

What I've seen written about the device is positive.

I don't think I would worry about it provided you are comfortable with Google and Android. Personally I don't want to use Android, but if it was a BB10 device and compatible with T-Mobile USA I wouldn't have any hesitation about purchasing it. Besides, if you want a BlackBerry this is pretty much your only option now, probably, and also probably on into the future. BlackBerry is no longer designing, building, or supporting hardware; it's BlackBerry Mobile now, which means a partner will be handling the design, manufacturer, sales, and support.

That's my opinion.

tsac 05-13-2017 12:50 PM

I agree with aiharkness, the only option for the future will be the outsourced phones. If the industry is moving to Android and Apple Os then users will not have much choice except either of those. I currently use an 9810 and Z10 but because the dummies at GM decided to drop Blackberry the only option may be the Keyone provided Google will acknowledge it and allow downloads which so far none of the current android capable blackberrys are allowed including the Z10 which is side loading able.

btaylor1 05-14-2017 08:03 AM

aiharkness and tsac, thanks for sharing your thoughts. appreciate

aiharkness 05-14-2017 09:02 AM

You bet.

I would be interested in hearing what you decide.

btaylor1 05-18-2017 10:38 AM

will post later if i get one. i saw a report asserting at&t will carry blackberry keyone. i sure hope that proves correct

BlackBerry KEYone will be available in the U.S. and Canada on May 31 | Android Central

btaylor1 05-18-2017 02:52 PM

one other thing. my work outlook is somewhat old (outlook 2010 for client, not sure about exchange server version). my current blackberry q10's contacts and calendars automatically update to the q10 handheld. i have been unsuccessful so far finding any online piece that answers whether the Keyone handheld will work the same way, although two smarter (than me) tech friends think it should. if anyone has any thoughts or citation, would gratefully receive. thx

tsac 05-18-2017 06:48 PM

My work BB is updated by the Blackberry servers in the company. The Z10 is also on the BES server and both update via the server. If the Keyone is able to take downloads from your company server it should but Blackberry has been virtually silent on the capabilities other than to say it is an Android phone. I have a Samsung Android phone and it will not take downloads for contacts and calendar just email.

knottyrope 05-19-2017 07:51 AM

My DTEK60 works fine syncing contacts and emails from Outlook.com, work Exchange 10 and Google

tsac 05-19-2017 09:38 AM

I had to play around bit with the Samsung to see if I can get it to work with Outlook.com. I had the receive port typo'ed. Downloads now ok.

btaylor1 05-20-2017 01:55 PM

thx. i'll confess i had not before heard of a PRIV but i'm thinking this thread may have some helpful stuff for me (or a smarter, than me, friend who helps me later) so i am saving in this thread for reference later

exchange activesync not syncing contacts or calendar - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BlackBerry_Priv

btaylor1 05-20-2017 04:24 PM

"maybe" some encouragement...

Latest BlackBerry Hub update brings quick file options, Google Hangouts support and more! | CrackBerry.com

Hub

Enhanced message preview when roaming: For ActiveSync accounts. We now provide a message preview during sync instead of just showing a header or waiting to download the full message.

btaylor1 05-21-2017 06:40 AM

nope (hence "maybe" verbiage!)

btaylor1 05-22-2017 08:28 AM

one more review with some input (underscoring mine):

BlackBerry KEYone review: Coming home | Android Central

Everything you need to know about the KEYone's software features

BlackBerry's other apps do a damn fine job replacing Google's own versions, too; from the calendar to an excellent task manager, they're simple and well-designed, and leave no glaring holes compared to what you'd get on a Pixel or a Galaxy. And they sync with Exchange, so they'll work with your existing office setup. You do have to contend with BBM being pre-installed, but if you're going out of your way to buy a KEYone, you may also be one of the people maintaining a presence on BlackBerry's once-ubiquitous messaging service.

aiharkness 05-24-2017 03:35 PM

Have to contend with BBM being pre-installed?.... You may be one of the people?

I've said it before (but maybe not here on these forums) that BlackBerry's brand is not respected. Or in I'll repute? Whatever. And no arguing, BlackBerry has no one to blame but itself. Still, it irritates the heck out of me.

@btaylor just buy the darn thing. It's an Android device with some BlackBerry sensibility, and it has a physical keyboard (if that is what you want....cant remember and I'm too lazy to scroll up).

Caveats: (1) I'm using PassportSQW100-4/10.3.3.2163 and will not use Android of any make or model. (2) Wife is too. (3) Told wife if she want to use an iPhone or iPad she's on her own. (3) I don't have plans yet for post-Passport future.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

btaylor1 05-24-2017 04:02 PM

thx for the additional input, ira

aiharkness 05-24-2017 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor1 (Post 1818655)
thx for the additional input, ira

Partly in jest. But I do believe you are overthinking it.

btaylor1 05-24-2017 04:21 PM

opinions vary / shrug

tsac 05-24-2017 07:30 PM

The only problem is the cost of the new phones. I have a couple of Z10's just in case.

aiharkness 05-25-2017 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btaylor1 (Post 1818657)
opinions vary / shrug

Yep, true