BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Do "Private Numbers" show up in your call log? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=227672)

lorilatt 05-29-2010 07:56 PM

Do "Private Numbers" show up in your call log?

Since upgrading from an 8830 to a 9630, I have noticed that "Private Numbers" no longer show up in the call list displayed on the phone screen. Is this the case for other users, or is it just me?

My 8830 displayed missed and received calls from private numbers on the phone screen, but my 9630 doesn't. My "Phone List View" is set to "Most Recent," which I thought would list ALL calls, sorted with the most recent first, but "Private Numbers" are omitted from this list. Whether a call from a Private Number is missed or received, there is no record of it my call list. For example, my sister called from her home line (which is restricted), so the caller ID displayed "Private Number." I answered the call, but after, there was no record of it in my call list. This seems weird to me. If I view my "Phone Call Log" folder (Messages> Menu key> View Folder> Phone Call Logs), the Private Number calls are listed. Is there a way to get Private Numbers to show up on the phone screen?

daphne 05-29-2010 08:37 PM

Do you mean the actual number? Or do you want to see "Private Number" in the log?

lorilatt 05-29-2010 08:45 PM

No, I don't expect to see the actual number...but I would like "Private Number" to show up in the call list if I miss or receive a call from a restricted line.

KonTiki 05-30-2010 08:10 AM

how do you even set it as a private number i would like for it to be like that so it does not show at all

daphne 05-30-2010 10:07 PM

If you want to block people you call from seeing your number, go to Phone > Options > General Options > Restrict My Identity and choose Never. It will show up as private number.

Motorcycle Mama 05-31-2010 06:46 AM

Daphne, shouldn't that be Restrict My Identity > ALWAYS in order to block ones number from being shown to others?

KonTiki 05-31-2010 06:49 AM

I am not talking of my number going out, I know how to do that, I was asking perhaps misunderstanding the OP that you could make it so as to the incoming call not show who or what the number is.

Motorcycle Mama 05-31-2010 08:20 AM

No. You cannot set it as private on your end. It's something that the caller (or the caller's network) does on their end.

If you do not want numbers showing up on your device, you would need to have the caller set their number as private. Or perhaps not have them call you. ;)

MCS 09-02-2010 05:11 AM

Unknown/Private numbers not displaying in phone log

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorilatt (Post 1612444)
Since upgrading from an 8830 to a 9630, I have noticed that "Private Numbers" no longer show up in the call list displayed on the phone screen. Is this the case for other users, or is it just me?

My 8830 displayed missed and received calls from private numbers on the phone screen, but my 9630 doesn't. My "Phone List View" is set to "Most Recent," which I thought would list ALL calls, sorted with the most recent first, but "Private Numbers" are omitted from this list. Whether a call from a Private Number is missed or received, there is no record of it my call list. For example, my sister called from her home line (which is restricted), so the caller ID displayed "Private Number." I answered the call, but after, there was no record of it in my call list. This seems weird to me. If I view my "Phone Call Log" folder (Messages> Menu key> View Folder> Phone Call Logs), the Private Number calls are listed. Is there a way to get Private Numbers to show up on the phone screen?

I have this exact same problem! :x It started last week right after I upgraded my 9000 to OS 5.0. It is a business phone and I need to have a log of all calls, even those with private numbers. No, I don't want to see the actual number, I just want a record that the call actually occured. And no I don't think that having to manually change my settings for my message folder is an adequate solution as I have 100+ inbound emails in the course of a day, so those phone records would be deleted and unable to be retrieved.

So, before I downgrade to OS 4, does anyone have any solutions for this exceptionally irritating problem?

CanuckBB 09-02-2010 09:47 AM

I believe that the logic between the difference is that the call log is exactly that, a log of all calls.

The phone screen assumes that you actually want to call someone, so having an undialable number would not make sense.

Joe1004 09-02-2010 07:06 PM

I confirm. Private calls do not show up in the call log at all.