BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   iOS 6 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=260275)

dc/dc 06-28-2012 05:49 PM

iOS 6

I signed up for a dev account just so I could use the betas legally, and I have to say I'm impressed. My favourite feature thus far is the "Do not Disturb" function. This could always be had in cooked Android ROMs, but it's nice to have it built in. I have it set to stop alerting me at 2200 and start again at 0700. The only thing I still find annoying really is the lack of ability to separate the alarm volume from all other sounds.

Thankfully, in beta 2 they have fixed the Maps app so it doesn't crash when you try to search for something.

rambo47 07-04-2012 08:03 PM

Re: iOS 6

I'm eager for the official release of iOS6. Do Not Disturb is intriguing. Nokia is working on something I'd also love to see make it to a future version of iOS. It's a muting feature triggered by simply turning the phone from face up to face down.

Walk into a meeting and set your iPhone on the table. When the meeting starts you simply turn the iPhone face down. Elegant. If Do Not Disturb could be activated in this manner it would be pretty cool.

dc/dc 07-05-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1781882)
I'm eager for the official release of iOS6. Do Not Disturb is intriguing. Nokia is working on something I'd also love to see make it to a future version of iOS. It's a muting feature triggered by simply turning the phone from face up to face down.

Walk into a meeting and set your iPhone on the table. When the meeting starts you simply turn the iPhone face down. Elegant. If Do Not Disturb could be activated in this manner it would be pretty cool.

HTC has had that for some time in their Android phones, but it isn't all encompassing like what you're talking about. It was just to mute a phone call. That was nice, but an all encompassing mute triggered by flipping over would be awesome. I guess it would have access to the gyroscope to ensure that it wouldn't activate in pocket.

dc/dc 07-24-2012 08:42 AM

Well, on Beta 3, things seem to be fairly stable, and it's definitely suitable for daily use. I even tested out the navigation yesterday on my drive from Vegas to Ft. Mohave, and it worked great. It even kept running through the areas of the mountains with no service (indicating to me that it downloads the whole route in advance). The only thing I wish is that it would zoom out a little further.

dc/dc 08-06-2012 06:33 PM

Beta 4 has brought an awesome new feature to iMessage that I've been craving since they first started doing iMessage on the iPad; which is that messages sent to my phone number will now appear on my iPad whereas previously it would only show iMessages sent to my e-mail address. Now, if Apple can get that integrated into the Messages app in Mountain Lion, it will truly be integrated.

rambo47 08-20-2012 06:36 PM

The latest update for the Nokia Lumia 900 just brought "Flip to Silence" to the phone. It's elegant. Plus I really love the Lumia 900 design. I just wish it ran iOS!

zerog46 08-20-2012 09:56 PM

I can't wait to try out iOS 6. I would also like to give windows phone a go.

dc/dc 08-22-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1785716)
The latest update for the Nokia Lumia 900 just brought "Flip to Silence" to the phone. It's elegant. Plus I really love the Lumia 900 design. I just wish it ran iOS!

Yeah, I love that phone's design too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1785723)
I can't wait to try out iOS 6. I would also like to give windows phone a go.

It's a very mature OS at this point, and even with 6 in beta, it's still very good. The only bug I've found in beta 4 is that sometimes my text message ringtone changes on its own.

zerog46 08-22-2012 03:27 PM

Heck I can deal ith that lol.

daphne 08-22-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1781882)

How is Do Not Disturb different from Bedside Mode on BlackBerry, which has been around since the 9000?

dc/dc 08-23-2012 09:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1785929)
How is Do Not Disturb different from Bedside Mode on BlackBerry, which has been around since the 9000?

It's more comprehensive. Allowing calls from certain numbers or repeated calls from the same number. The other thing is that the phone does absolutely nothing in this mode. The screen doesn't even light up.

daphne 08-23-2012 12:21 PM

Bedside Mode can be enabled with a custom profile set to allow callls from certain contacts also and it can be set to turn off radio, disable LED, put on silent. It kills me how people rave over a new feature from Apple that's almost identical to and been already available in BlackBerry and other devices. I read an article on Huffington Post raving about Do Not Disturb like it was the best invention ever since the wheel. :?

dc/dc 08-24-2012 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1785993)
Bedside Mode can be enabled with a custom profile set to allow callls from certain contacts also and it can be set to turn off radio, disable LED, put on silent. It kills me how people rave over a new feature from Apple that's almost identical to and been already available in BlackBerry and other devices. I read an article on Huffington Post raving about Do Not Disturb like it was the best invention ever since the wheel. :?

I don't remember all of those options in bedside mode on my 9900. I know I could put it on silent and turn off the LED, which I always did. The other thing I remember was that it had to be plugged into a charger for bedside mode. DND comes on regardless of charger status.

daphne 08-24-2012 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1786086)
I don't remember all of those options in bedside mode on my 9900. I know I could put it on silent and turn off the LED, which I always did. The other thing I remember was that it had to be plugged into a charger for bedside mode. DND comes on regardless of charger status.

No, it does not have to be on charger to go into bedside mode. All the options are there even if you did't notice them. Possibly some are new with 7.1, I'm not sure.

dc/dc 08-24-2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1786093)
No, it does not have to be on charger to go into bedside mode. All the options are there even if you did't notice them. Possibly some are new with 7.1, I'm not sure.

I guess I did... I only used a 7.1 BB for about 2 months.

TechKnowBabble 10-10-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1785993)

AGREED....for my work device I have moved to an iphone and it's definitely not all people rave about. I HATE the keyboard, hate how the 'desktop' isn't very customizable, etc. No disrespect meant but I think it's just a 'herd' mentality.