BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9900 Series Discussion - Bold Touch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Video of new BB 9900/9930 models (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=250607)

DZD 06-25-2011 08:24 AM

Video of new BB 9900/9930 models

The fluid graphics and performance look very good. Enjoy.

YouTube - ‪RIM Blackberry Bold Touch 9900 / 9930 Hands-on‬‏

BCCaper 07-04-2011 04:25 AM

Re: Video of new BB 9900/9930 models

Not too sure why someone would want a CDMA version of this device. Its bad enough that Blackberry is behind the times as it is but to get the non-hspa version seems like an even bigger step backward. In today's mobile market I find it somewhat suprising that cellular manufacturers still produce CDMA devices.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

knottyrope 07-06-2011 02:30 PM

terrible focus on the vid

aiharkness 07-06-2011 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCCaper (Post 1730966)
Not too sure why someone would want a CDMA version of this device. Its bad enough that Blackberry is behind the times as it is but to get the non-hspa version seems like an even bigger step backward. In today's mobile market I find it somewhat suprising that cellular manufacturers still produce CDMA devices.

One of the largest carriers in the U.S. is CDMA, as well as one of the smaller carriers. If you are a user choosing the carrier that provides the best service where you live, work, and travel, and that carrier is one of these two, then you need a CDMA device. And if you are making mobile devices for those customers, then you make CDMA devices.

Of course if someone wants to avoid CDMA on principle and pay higher price or pay for poorer service in order to do so, that's their prerogative.

rdef 07-06-2011 09:58 PM

I see RIM--in its infinite wisdom--is using the same crappy top buttons (back, phone, menu) that it used on the Torch.

It's always nice when buttons peel off. Why would they do such a cheap and idiotic thing on their flagship device?:x

Thiego-uk 07-07-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdef (Post 1731501)
I see RIM--in its infinite wisdom--is using the same crappy top buttons (back, phone, menu) that it used on the Torch.

It's always nice when buttons peel off. Why would they do such a cheap and idiotic thing on their flagship device?:x

How did you make them peel off?

jimfraser 07-07-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1731457)
One of the largest carriers in the U.S. is CDMA, as well as one of the smaller carriers. If you are a user choosing the carrier that provides the best service where you live, work, and travel, and that carrier is one of these two, then you need a CDMA device. And if you are making mobile devices for those customers, then you make CDMA devices.

Of course if someone wants to avoid CDMA on principle and pay higher price or pay for poorer service in order to do so, that's their prerogative.

Bell and Telus, Canada's no. 2 and 3 carriers, respectively, overlayed their entire (formerly CDMA only) networks with hspa a couple of years ago. Rogers the largest mobile operator in Canada switched from TDMA to gsm and eventually hspa years ago, about the same time as AT&T. As far as I know there are no moble networks in Canada which are CDMA only (except perhaps very local small networks).
As a sponsor of the winter Olympics in Vancouver in January 2010, Bell realized that virtually no-one outside of NA at the Olympics would be able to use its network and saw where the future was and brought its entire network up to hspa in a very short time.
It is time for Verizon to see the future.
For the time being, however, Verison is a major mobile network, if not no. 1 then no.2 in the US which cannot be ignored.

jimfraser 07-07-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdef (Post 1731501)

I have had my torch since launch in Canada (Sept 30 2010) and never have had a hint of an issue with the buttons or anything else with the torch, except perhaps a little play in the slide out keyboard.
In fact while on vacation in Kenya in early May, my torch was grabbed by a monkey when it was lying out on my balcony waiting for a gps fix. The back was taken off and the battery pulled out, then dropped from 3 stories up. Hotel staff retrieved the three parts. I put them together and it worked perfectly (a tooth mark on the battery and a few claw marks on the front and back though)! Try that with an iPhone.

aiharkness 07-07-2011 04:02 PM

Re the crappy top buttons observed in the video, perhaps what is in the video is not a full rate production unit? I don't know. Just asking. Curious.

rdef 07-08-2011 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1731621)
I have had my torch since launch in Canada (Sept 30 2010) and never have had a hint of an issue with the buttons or anything else with the torch, except perhaps a little play in the slide out keyboard.
In fact while on vacation in Kenya in early May, my torch was grabbed by a monkey when it was lying out on my balcony waiting for a gps fix. The back was taken off and the battery pulled out, then dropped from 3 stories up. Hotel staff retrieved the three parts. I put them together and it worked perfectly (a tooth mark on the battery and a few claw marks on the front and back though)! Try that with an iPhone.

There were quite a few posts about this early on. Here's a pic of mine:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z...x/IMG_5484.jpg