BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9700 Series Discussion - Bold 2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   I'm convinced that the 9700 cannot be a buttt phone. What say you? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=211101)

snovvman 11-19-2009 01:39 PM

I'm convinced that the 9700 cannot be a buttt phone. What say you?

This device (perhaps like many other BBs) cannot be kept in the back pocket.

Depending on the girth of your behind and type of attire, the frequency of the following may differ:

1) When the keyboard is locked (top left button), any key will turn on the screen. Although it prevents unintended dialing, the screen turning on over and over will chew on the battery life.

2) When the device is in Standby Mode (top right button), only the Send, Menu, Back, and End buttons will activate the screen. There is still a good chance that your @$$ will be turning the phone on.

Worse is the chance of unintended answering...

When the phone rings, the device comes out of lock and/or standby, and one press of the Send key will answer the phone. Imagine the phone in your back pocket, it rings, you jump, the green send button is pressed and you really didn't want to talk to that person. Or, you didn't hear it ring (on silent) and your buttt answers the phone and the calling party is now listening in...

With S2U2 (or the alike) for Windows Mobile or the iPhone, they require a gesture or additional actions to answer the call. It seems like BB holsters are part of the functional feature of the phone, because when it is in the holster, the phone "knows" it. For my purposes, carrying at least two phones at a time, I need to carry the BB in my back pocket (Touch Pro 2 is too big to go to the back).

IS THERE ANY SOLUTION THAT CAN HELP ME REDUCE THE CHANCE OF buttt ANSWERING? Are there any known applications or solutions that will make it a 2-key process to answer a call or other strategies to prevent accidental answering?

I would appreciate any help.

x14 11-19-2009 01:46 PM

I've kept my 8800 and 9000 in my back pocket. I simply face the keyboard away from me.

monkeypaw 11-19-2009 03:36 PM

Wow, I thought the BB ads for the Pearl Flip were just marketing. I didn't realize people carried in back pockets. I'd do that with a Razr, but not a BB. But I guess I'm normally in jeans when I'm not in business clothes.

leec81 11-19-2009 04:34 PM

I carry everything in my suit case since I travel around quiet often, I don't put stuff in my back pocket at all.

jzarowitz 11-19-2009 10:16 PM

magnetize your pants pocket and your butt wont answer...

monkeypaw 11-20-2009 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzarowitz (Post 1511199)
magnetize your pants pocket and your butt wont answer...

LOL, but it may vibrate.

snovvman 11-20-2009 02:33 PM

Don't laugh, I thought about it... Although a maganet on the @$$ cheek (rather than the pants itself) will allow me to wear any pants.

jzarowitz 11-20-2009 02:57 PM

Wirelessly posted

I have a better idea. The same way dogs get electronically tagged, you can too...and while they are in there, ask em to place a neodymium rare earth magnet. You'll be set... :)

weath 11-21-2009 09:13 AM

Yup. All set with the neodymium rare earth magnet.. Until you sit on that metal folding chair.... :-D