BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General PlayBook Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   playbook charger in the UK (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=251525)

colonel 07-22-2011 01:37 PM

playbook charger in the UK

does the playbook come with the US style new blackbox charger ?

mine came with a std BB microUSB charger ...

is this right ?

stevetaz 07-22-2011 02:20 PM

Re: playbook charger in the UK

Mine came with a folding blade travel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

What's a blackbox charger?

colonel 07-22-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetaz (Post 1734037)
Mine came with a folding blade trevel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

did it have a uk plug adaptor ?

stevetaz 07-22-2011 02:26 PM

No. A US 110-115v style plug.

colonel 07-22-2011 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetaz (Post 1734039)
No. A US 110-115v style plug.

so its was probably an import right ?

stevetaz 07-22-2011 03:09 PM

What???? I am in the US. I guess I should have been clearer, but here in the US we (I) received a travel-type charger with the PB I purchased in the US.

I suppose I misunderstood the OP and thought they were asking about the charger US purchasers got. That is also why I asked what the "blackbox" charger was. I was trying to say I got a PB charger, which is different from the "standard" BB charger. At least here in the US it is different. I wouldn't call it a blackbox, but the shape is more like a box. It still has the folding blades, which is typical of travel chargers.

I hope this is clearer, but I suspect it will not be....

colonel 07-23-2011 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevetaz (Post 1734037)
Mine came with a folding blade travel-type charger, but not the standard one. BB chargers will not charge a PB. The PB charger will charge BBs much faster than the standard one.

I used a std BB charger on the PB and it charged it fine

rgds

stevetaz 07-23-2011 05:10 PM

How discharged was it and how ling did it take compared to the PB charger?

Using a BB charger should kind of be like a trickle charger due to higer power needs of the PB.

At least that is what we have been led to believe. When I use the PB charger to charge my BB I would guess it is at least 25-30% faster than the standard BB charger, if not more.

classact 07-24-2011 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colonel (Post 1734034)
does the playbook come with the US style new blackbox charger ?

mine came with a std BB microUSB charger ...

is this right ?

I bought my PlayBook in the UK. It came with a BlackBerry micro USB charger which features a yellow micro USB end. If you compare this charger with another BlackBerry micro USB charger which does not feature the yellow end you should notice that the former has a higher capacity charging output, so it will charge the Playbook (or a BlackBerry handset) faster than the latter. European BlackBerry mini and micro USB chargers usually come with interchangeable ends for UK, Euro and US power outlets.

I have since purchased the PlayBook Rapid Charger (not the one with the dock, because the PlayBook won't dock in that when inside a case) which uses a different magnetic power input port on the PlayBook rather than micro USB. Charging is much faster. You can find out more about the accessory chargers here.

colonel 07-24-2011 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by classact (Post 1734290)
I bought my PlayBook in the UK. It came with a BlackBerry micro USB charger which features a yellow micro USB end. If you compare this charger with another BlackBerry micro USB charger which does not feature the yellow end you should notice that the former has a higher capacity charging output, so it will charge the Playbook (or a BlackBerry handset) faster than the latter. European BlackBerry mini and micro USB chargers usually come with interchangeable ends for UK, Euro and US power outlets.

I have since purchased the PlayBook Rapid Charger (not the one with the dock, because the PlayBook won't dock in that when inside a case) which uses a different magnetic power input port on the PlayBook rather than micro USB. Charging is much faster. You can find out more about the accessory chargers here.

thanks for verifying that
I am pretty sure the playbook is new, but I think the supplier opened it, took out the US charger, and replaced it with a standard BB charger
I have asked them to send me the one with the yellow tip.
I will probably get the reapid charger though like you

rgds

capocrimini 11-14-2011 02:13 AM

I also purchased the PB with a case and a rapid charging dock in one go, not knowing it was a PB from the states. Will my rapid charging dock be ok to use with the US playbook?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

knottyrope 11-15-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capocrimini (Post 1754994)
I also purchased the PB with a case and a rapid charging dock in one go, not knowing it was a PB from the states. Will my rapid charging dock be ok to use with the US playbook?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

yes it will be fine