BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   bbTracker - a simple GPS tracking software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=88032)

saua 07-28-2007 01:09 PM

bbTracker - a simple GPS tracking software

Hy,
I didn't find any rules regarding announcing software releases in this forum, but since this is not for money and the general mood seems to be really nice here, I thought I'd give it a try.

As I've already mentioned in another post I'm currently developing a simple GPS tracking software called bbTracker.

If you don't care about route finding or downloading and displaying maps, but just want to
  • get your coordinates and/or altitude
  • record your path
  • have it displayed in a simple graphic
  • display elevation and speed over time
  • export it to GPX and/or KML (Google Earth) files

then bbTracker might be for you.

My test platform is a BlackBerry 8800, so I know that it works there just fine but it should work on any reasonably new smartphone that supports the Location API (JSR-179, if you want to get technical).

I'd appreciate any feedback that I get, especially bug reports, compatibility reports and feature suggestions. I wont have regular net access during the next week, 'though, so my replies might take a while.

Edit:
The current release is 0.5.3.

Regarding OTA install: For some reason using the JAD-Files on the BlackBerry often leads to verification errors. I'm investigating this, but probably won't be able to provide a solution until next weekend. Pointing your BlackBerry browser to http://www.bbtracker.org/download/current/bbtracker.jar will install the most current version.

JSanders 07-28-2007 02:09 PM

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Thanks, saua, I'll be trying it out.

AndrewAZ 07-28-2007 04:48 PM

Can you make a link for over the air install?

John Clark 07-29-2007 12:29 AM

We welcome the apps around here. Thanks for posting about it.

dlpisgreat 07-30-2007 08:47 AM

Installed ok the the 8100.

JSanders 07-30-2007 08:51 AM

Works good here, nice simple app.

mporter 07-30-2007 10:40 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Sorry,

I have a couple of minor issues with the software, firstly I live in the UK my actual location is a negative 2deg west. bbTracker doesn't display my westerly coords as a negative value but as a positive one.

Therefore rather than being in Lancashire, England - According to Google Earth I would appear to be in the sea of the somewhere off the Norfolk coast :?

I can confirm I definitely have dry feet...

Secondly when exporting a track I get a Non-fatal exception error box pop up advising me of a file system error.

I'm actually using the software on a BB Curve with a Holux bluetooth GPS.

dlpisgreat 07-31-2007 09:05 AM

I tried it my self yesterday (7/30/07).

First time recording a track, I got an exception about an invalid counter. (Sorry driving so I didn't get the exact wording)

Tried to export the track and a popup about writing to the file system was on the application screen, and it wasn't until I ALT + ESC to toggle out of the application.

Tried another track which was successful, but when I tried to export, I get the same above file system error.

Aside from that. Very nice program. Information is nice and concise. I particularly love the elevation part. It shows consistently in feet, where Mapquest displays in feet while less than 0.1 miles, then it shows in increments of 0.1 miles.

Please keep us informed of bug fixes and such and will give it a whirl.

Equipment in sig line.

saua 07-31-2007 01:45 PM

I've not yet heard about the index error, if you get it again, I'd like to hear the exact error message if possible.

Did you already set a file path in the options (easiest by using "browse" from the menu after selecting the file path item). It should give a nicer error message, if that's the cause. Could you try that and report back please?

Regarding the negative coordinates: Coordinates west of the prime meridian are shown by a "W" suffix instead of a "E". This is the common convention, AFAIK.

dlpisgreat 07-31-2007 04:19 PM

Thanks for the Export Directory entry. I totally missed that.

I couldn't browse to the media card, so I had to use Desktop Manager > Media Manager to get to the export files.

The counter error I got while making my first track. I will see if I can duplicate.

Loaded the KML file under Google Earth and it showed my path. Too Cool!

dlpisgreat 08-01-2007 10:16 AM

Saua, I noticed in my track last night that in the bottom line of information, the altitude was getting overlapped by the track frame counter. It changed based on the value in the speed area. Example. it was ok when going 19 or less, but 20 or more, the values overlapped because of the proportional font used.

BTW, do you want these comments here or in a PM?

Thanks

BFEINZIMER 08-01-2007 10:17 PM

"Error starting bbtracker: Module 'bbtracker' has verification error 2916 at offset 23a2"

On a VZW 8830 w/ newest SW

pangelpip 08-02-2007 10:02 AM

Thanks I am going to have to take a stab at this program 8-)

Stinsonddog 08-02-2007 10:38 AM

I have not tried this yet. Can someone post screen shots and describe how it works? This would put a serious dent in skylabs Mobile Tracker.

JSanders 08-02-2007 10:53 AM

I can't post a screen shot right now, but it worked beautifully for me. You simply start the app and it will show you your lat/long postion, elevation and mph if moving. You can start a new track, edit an old one, etc.

For instance, I let it track me one day driving. After you save the track, you can go back and see elevations and lat/long along the path, and like is stated above, you can export the KML files to Google Earth and see where you've been.

SERB__DVB 08-02-2007 11:11 AM

I try to download on my 8100 but file is not suported
I need file (.cod and .alx)

Where can i get this file

Thnx

Millertr 08-02-2007 11:36 AM

GPS Equipped?

stupid question... Does your phone have to be GPS enabled/have GPS service through your provider?

I have an 8300 (Curve). I'm pretty sure its GPS equipped, but i'm not currently paying for any GPS service through AT&T...

7100simpleisbetter 08-02-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millertr (Post 620946)
stupid question... Does your phone have to be GPS enabled/have GPS service through your provider?

I have an 8300 (Curve). I'm pretty sure its GPS equipped, but i'm not currently paying for any GPS service through AT&T...

The Curve does not have GPS built-in, you will need a GPS Puck in order for it work. You can get them from lots of places including eBay. I have a Pearl and have been very happy with the Holux GPSlim 240, it is tiny and works great, except with Telenav because they have decided to "not support" users in their efforts to have freedom of choice in the hardware they buy. If you want to use Telenav or think you might want to use Telenav you should order the puck from them.

SIB

mporter 08-02-2007 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saua (Post 618760)
Regarding the negative coordinates: Coordinates west of the prime meridian are shown by a "W" suffix instead of a "E". This is the common convention, AFAIK.

Okay fair enough, although I'm not convinced for the following reason (sorry):oops:

When I directly feed the displayed coordinates as displayed using bbTracker into Google Earth you can clearly see the results from my attached photo's on my earlier posting - According to Google I should be swimming in the sea and off by a couple hundred miles, rather than my actual location. So do I take it Google aren't using 'common convention' as well?

Interestingly when I use the send location function directly from BB Maps it gives me the following:

http://mapsBlackBerry.com?lat=54.90435&lon=-1.40362&z=1

The longitude is clearly shown as a negative value.

I'm confused :shock:

wu-wei 08-02-2007 12:44 PM

Installed on my T-Mo 8800 just fine - will run some tracks and see how it works. This would be particularly fine for mountain biking/hiking to check elevation changes for those grueling ascents (apres ride, of course).