BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Blank policy.bin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=10604)

tgray 06-20-2005 03:43 PM

Blank policy.bin

Could someone please email a blank itpolicy in zipped format to junk_email@charter.net.

Just a zipped policy.bin file would be grand.

Thanks

Ray
(I have striked my request to have the policy posted to the site. Members of the Jury, please disregard my previous statements).

bfrye 06-20-2005 03:47 PM

Been through this before...

tgray 06-20-2005 04:09 PM

Yes, I know, but I have yet to find one posted.

jibi 06-20-2005 05:09 PM

And the reasons behind it not being posted can be read in the other thread. Please do not ask. Thanks.

tgray 06-21-2005 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jibi
If someone would post a policy.bin file up and then follow steps 2 through 6, I do not see that as being any sort of violation of laws and/or Research In Motion's EULA (although I am no lawyer and have not really read the fine text of said agreement).

You give me the hebies jibi. I'm not asking for the exe, I'm asking for a bin file. I agree with you in the fact that I do not see posting this file as any sort of law violation. I am also not a lawyer; I just want the file to experiment on the 40 retired BlackBerry devices sitting in my desk. We were going to clear them out, reload the firmware, and donate them to a woman's shelter so they could use them to dial 911, but hell, can't do that because we didn't remove the it policy from them before we swapped them out for newer devices.

I'm working with our BES admins, but sometimes I ask them for things and then check here too, first because this is a great resource for educating myself (I want to at least know a little about what's going on), and secondly because I want to make sure they are telling me the truth (I've found some great info out here that sometimes contradicts what they are saying).

So, alas, I am still requesting a copy of the blank policy.BIN, unless this violates any laws or personal convictions. Forgive me for my inquisitive nature.

jibi 06-21-2005 08:28 AM

The reason in not posting the ITPolicy.exe file is because of legal violations. The reason in not posting the policy.bin to this site is because of security risks that may arise. There are certain ethical reasons why stuff like that are not posted to sites and there are certain reasons why only a smaller percentage of people can generate the policy.bin files. For the simple concern of security, please do not make that request on this forum.

If you do not understand the security implications behind such a request, then thats fine. But having it posted publically does allow just about any unethical person to get their hands on it and the ability to remove restrictions on any handheld. The people who would like to have that file span more than just you all that have left a BES.

Keep down the avenue of working with your company's BES admins.