BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Test Server (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=98457)

abakcuh 10-04-2007 07:48 AM

Test Server

Hello,
Planning to begin testing with Domnio 8 soon and would like to place a test BES for this. Does anyone know if BES 4.1.4MR1 will run on a Domino 8 server or can it only poll 8 servers? Also this server will have at a maximum 5 users not using MDS is 1gb RAM okay? Last (i know not recommended) can bes be on the same server as the users mailbox?

Thanks

noname 10-04-2007 08:21 AM

BES 4.1.4 MR1 is a hotfix for the base 4.1.4, hence the Domino server's requirements are still the same. Domino 8 is not amount the versions that RIM recommends, why are you making your life less easier by running your BES outside these requirements?

If you need refresh, here they are:-

Install one of the following messaging and collaboration servers on the computer on which you plan to install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server:
•IBM® Lotus® Domino® server Version 5.0.3 or later (Version 5.0.12 recommended)
•IBM Lotus Domino server Version 6.0.1 Critical Fixpack 2 or later (Primary Domino Directory required)
•IBM Lotus Domino server Version 6.5 or later (Primary Domino Directory required; Version 6.5.1 required to support organizer data synchronization for roaming users)
•IBM Lotus Domino server Version 7.0 (required to support encrypted message display)
Note: Do not install the BlackBerry Enterprise Server on a partitioned IBM Lotus Domino server.

Source: Livelink - Redirection

Your life is not easier if you runs both BES and host your user's mail databases on the SAME computer. There is this term call "single point of failure" in this miserable IT working world of ours. I guess you've got what I meant by now. If you're not getting it, then I will be explicit - if your BES crash, there goes your mail service.

Good luck.

abakcuh 10-04-2007 08:29 AM

Test Server

I know 4.1.4MR1 is a patch for the base. I also know 4.1.4 is supported for Domino 8 Beta and has had zero issues even with template change. What I do not know is if these 4.1.4 servers were Domino 7 polling a Domino 8 server. I am also trying to determine memory requirements. This will be in VMWare with most likely on 1gb of RAM. I will not use MDS nor have multiple users both of which cause the need for extra ram. Also to keep from having to create two test servers one or mail one or BES I am looking to use one. I realize the risk of a crash in which I loose both. I just want to make sure it is possible.

noname 10-04-2007 09:04 AM

I do not see Domino 8 being listed as part of the requirement and you keep saying that it's supported. But since you are having just a few users and you are disabling MDS and since it is just a TEST server, I think you can go ahead. Do post your TEST results (especially crashes) :)

abakcuh 10-04-2007 09:08 AM

Will do 8-)

here ya go.... IBM - Support Information for RIM's Blackberry Server (BES) for Notes/Domino 8

noname 10-05-2007 03:46 AM

Nice. BES 4.1.4 with workaround. BES 4.1.5 to officially support Domino 8. Thanks dude.

jibi 10-05-2007 11:12 AM

...so just wait another 1.5 months until BES 4.1.5 is available? :)

hdawg 10-05-2007 12:06 PM

... 2 months now! those honkey tonks pushed it off till December

abakcuh 10-07-2007 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdawg (Post 694188)
... 2 months now! those honkey tonks pushed it off till December

Well I will test 4.1.4 with Domino8 both servers in VM.

Domino8 VM with 1gb and 2 users
BES on Domino7.0.2FR2 with 768 and 2 users no MDSS