BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Applying Service Packs (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=34286)

tickler 05-05-2006 06:52 AM

Applying Service Packs

We are currently running BES4 SP1 HF3

Should I be able to go straight to SP4?

Only when I try to run the upgrade I get 'Database upgrade failed, Enterprise Server will now terminate'

Any ideas?

txag94 05-05-2006 09:00 AM

You are suppose to be able to skip Service Packs, but you have to apply sequential hotfixes. So, you should be okay.

On your database upgrade failure message, are you running msde? Is the service started?

mayor111 05-07-2006 08:01 PM

Tickler,

First let me say there is no issue with you skipping versions on Service Packs. They are all retro active (meaning they include all the SP that came out previously).

Now to install the latest SP successfully, you need to have ALL the files from the last update you installed. During the install of the NEW SP - when it asks for the files - point it to the OLD SP files and you will be fine.

The new SP just needs to see the files from the OLD SP.

I hope this helps!

jibi 05-07-2006 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txag94
You are suppose to be able to skip Service Packs, but you have to apply sequential hotfixes. So, you should be okay.

On your database upgrade failure message, are you running msde? Is the service started?

hotfixes ARE cumulative for that service pack (HF2 includes HF1, etc). read the release notes with each one you download and it has the little asterisk next to the fixes that were included in that hotfix while the others were included in the previous hotfixes since the service pack.

tickler 05-08-2006 04:57 AM

Thanks for the reply but thie error message I get comes up straight away after clicking setup.exe I don't get a chance to specify file locations etc.?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mayor111
Tickler,

First let me say there is no issue with you skipping versions on Service Packs. They are all retro active (meaning they include all the SP that came out previously).

Now to install the latest SP successfully, you need to have ALL the files from the last update you installed. During the install of the NEW SP - when it asks for the files - point it to the OLD SP files and you will be fine.

The new SP just needs to see the files from the OLD SP.

I hope this helps!

tickler 05-08-2006 05:26 AM

SQL Server

No I'm using SQL server however a previous version of BES was installed on the box using MSDE but I uninstalled BES and SQL Engine

Quote:

Originally Posted by txag94

jibi 05-08-2006 08:06 AM

Look for your DB_Install*.log file and paste the contents.

Should be located in (where X:\ is your installation drive letter):
X:\Program Files\Research In Motion\BlackBerry Enterprise Server\ConfigUtil\db

kmcphedran 05-08-2006 09:33 AM

I have received the same error in past upgrades. I found that I required DBO in the SQL server in order to do the upgrade.

T-Roy 05-09-2006 10:57 AM

Should also note you should be logged in with your BlackBerry Service Account when applying service packs or hot fixes.

If you are not sure which account is running your services go to start, then run and type: services.msc
Right click the BlackBerry Dispatcher Service and choose Properties. Click the Logon tab. The account displayed here is the account you should be logged on as.

tickler 06-28-2006 01:09 AM

Fixed

I found the solution in the end when originally configured our SQL DB was setup for for transactional replication, which had added a new column into a table. One of the functions of the installer has changed in Service Pack 4, and the additional column causes a failure.

The SQL database needed a minor modification. In table "SyncDataSource", in the BESMgmt database, there are 3 columns;

Id
Name
msrepl_tran_version

The "msrepl_tran_version" is the column which is causing the problems, and needs to be deleted.