BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   The coming of iPhone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=82920)

Frank Castle 06-25-2007 11:08 AM

The coming of iPhone

Just wanted to see what other admins are thinking about the iPhone and the coming surge of requests to support it. Some of the posts on CNN money are pretty funny, if not outright delusional in how corporate email is governed.

Gartner and other analaysts slamming the iPhone was a big hit but I don't think Job's is even caring about getting the iPhone into enterprises.

We have IMAP disabled and have zero plans to turn it back on. So any device that doesn't work through BES or ActiveSync back in is negated to OMA/OWA, which is where the iphone will fall.

Perhaps RIM will make a Blackberry Connect client .. wouldn't that send everything in a tizzy.

x14 06-25-2007 11:13 AM

If it ain't a BB its not getting on my BES.

elgauchogrub 06-25-2007 11:20 AM

I doubt that Apple is really aiming for the enterprise market here, the device looks cool, but somehow I don't see to many large companies deciding that $500 for an consumer type device is a good investment for a mobile workforce.

DarthBBerry 06-25-2007 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x14 (Post 578849)

Word.

juwaack68 06-25-2007 11:46 AM

I 3rd that.

To me the iPhone is an expensive consumer toy.

jibi 06-25-2007 12:26 PM

Apple has already said that third-party applications will have to be developed as web applications, so that leaves RIM, ActiveSync, etc. out in the cold. This will be a consumer-only device, it would appear, with no plans of opening it up to the enterprise. As with your environment, and I believe this to be the case with most security-conscious companies, IMAP or POP is not a realistic or viable option.

ladydi 06-25-2007 03:11 PM

I had a non BB user ask me about the iphone because he is getting one. I told him no and offered him a BB. He didn't take me up on that. lol. There will most definitely be no iphones here. I don't even allow WM devices. BB only.

PacketRat 06-25-2007 04:08 PM

We have no plans for offering the iPhone. Blackberry only.

jibi 06-25-2007 04:15 PM

Our only exception will likely be users develop and support our web services groups. There's going to be no corporate email support to them, though.

DarienA 06-26-2007 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x14 (Post 578849)

Yup that's the stance here too.

complacent23 06-26-2007 09:01 AM

I couldn't agree more. Consumer device. Period.

What, are people going to use "coverflow" to thumb through their .ppt's?

Cool concept for a phone though... Just not quite what I'd need in a smart phone.

rliebsch 06-26-2007 02:29 PM

heh, i have already been given orders to get half a dozen and find a way to make it work. period.

It won't be BES/BB, it won't be GOOD/WinMo/Palm, but it's gotta give somehow....

ladydi 06-26-2007 03:47 PM

perhaps this will help: Apple, Microsoft to push Exchange Direct Push to iPhone? - Engadget

jibi 06-26-2007 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladydi (Post 580139)

I doubt this is true, but if it is... very interesting, to say the least.

jaltig 06-27-2007 10:01 AM

Not on our network - this thing is crap - has any one looked at the limitations of this. Don't get me wrong I own an ipod - works great for what it was designed for. But for a phone that is touted as the be all media center check this out.

My understanding is that you cannot set songs as ringtones, it has no flash support, no instant messaging, no MMS, no video recording, no voice recognition or voice dialing, and you have to adapt the headphone jack.

This thing doesn't even make a good ipod let alone phone.

done rambling - stepping down
Jim

ladydi 06-27-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaltig (Post 580896)
Not on our network - this thing is crap - has any one looked at the limitations of this. Don't get me wrong I own an ipod - works great for what it was designed for. But for a phone that is touted as the be all media center check this out.

My understanding is that you cannot set songs as ringtones, it has no flash support, no instant messaging, no MMS, no video recording, no voice recognition or voice dialing, and you have to adapt the headphone jack.

This thing doesn't even make a good ipod let alone phone.

done rambling - stepping down
Jim

To add to that, I read a couple articles yesterday that said the "keyboard" is a big pain the *ss and practically worthless.

orcberg 06-27-2007 01:02 PM

The iPhone is a phenomenal concept and undoubtedly it will do really well within its market, but it's definitely not at the same level as BlackBerry devices. It would be incredible if Apple designed the next generation iPhone (you know it will happen, look at the iPod) to include more Enterprise-/business-oriented functionality like supporting Exchange server and the like.

That's the very reason why I can't give up my Pearl for the iPhone -- as uber as the iPhone is, it wouldn't give me the same power when I'm on the go as my Pearl does. If they designed a version of the iPhone which was able to interface with Exchange... well, then it might just be a done deal for me. The convenience of integrating everything into one unit -- particularly one as sexy as the iPhone -- would definitely do it for me.

I do hope to get the chance to play around with an iPhone at some point, though. I still think it's great, just given the circumstances at the moment it's not a solution that would provide me with everything that I need.

Afterburned 06-28-2007 04:18 AM

Latest I heard is that it does not even make a good phone. I am driven by the whims of the directors though, so will probably have to make one work in the future. (n)

x14 06-28-2007 07:41 PM

I'm not all that thrill with you gotta have an iTune account to setup the phone.

rliebsch 06-29-2007 10:46 PM

well exchange support is IMAP only out of the box, but there is pptp and l2tp support out of the box

the only wow is the browser a real browser. and being able to go landscape