BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Optical TrackPad - Thoughts on Durability (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=200596)

mpallo 08-11-2009 03:18 PM

Optical TrackPad - Thoughts on Durability

Had a chance to play with the 8520 over the weekend. Just was wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the durability of the optical trackpad vs. the trackball. I just don't care for it. Seems like it could scratch very easily and seems cheap when it clicks. Almost like cellophane plastic. I know the ball can get dust (I always use canned air on it) but I am curious to see how well the trackpad will hold up.

MidnightDraven 08-11-2009 05:39 PM

I would say the trackpad will hold up alot better than a trackball in terms of durability.
the fact its not a constantly moving part, affected by dust, lint, moisture etc.

It also wont be discoloured, but the scratching might be a problem. just like any other part though.

akosnitzky 08-11-2009 08:29 PM

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Jury is out

on1sony 08-19-2009 01:11 PM

i think the pad is going to be longer lasting. i think the ball is just very slightly more accurate when your trying to locate something or go to a specific icon... but overall i think the pad is the future!

wadhiamod 08-21-2009 03:09 PM

i would think that the trackpad should be more reliable than the trackball. Saying that 8520 is atargeted at the mid market so not sure what RIM has compromised in therms of quality. Its a good review so far but yes the trackpad takes a little while getting used to .

jonberry 08-24-2009 01:01 PM

Trackpad rocks!

nicnoc 08-25-2009 05:30 PM

Wirelessly posted (Curve 8520)

I can only echo what's been said. Trackpad feels a lot more durable than ball, tbh I'm still getting used to it but feel it'll be a quick transition! Note you can have the pad on "silent"

strike2tamu 09-02-2009 07:38 PM

I like it, my next device will have one, my wife just got the 8520, been playing with it all day, feels solid.

Ronstopable 09-04-2009 07:04 PM

I love it! Had a few issues with the trackball on both the Bold and my original Curve. It feels durable and actually works better than I expected. Might go so far as to say its my favorite blackberry I've owned thus far

rambo47 09-04-2009 07:55 PM

Although early reports are favorable, and it's GOTTA be more durable, the idea of a new technology in a RIM device scares me. I bought a Tour on day 1 and had the trackball issue. Side to side was unresponsive but up and down worked perfectly. My Bold's trackball was flawless. If a slightly re-designed trackball was such a problem for RIM, an entirely new technology for them gives me the heebie-geebies.

Trimix 09-13-2009 05:46 PM

Wirelessly posted (Tmo's cheapest BB customer)

I guess only time will tell. I got a chance to play with a friend's 8520 the other day and I'm growing to like the trackpad. I already use it regularly on my laptop, so I guess I'm used to it already.

One thing though, the trackpad will probably be less of an eyesore when it gets dirty unlike the white trackball haha.

moorken 09-29-2009 06:16 AM

the first 2 hours of using this new device, i thought it sucked seriously! however, after 2 hours i needed to change my mind, the trackpad is brilliant! and i think it will last a lot longer than the trackball (time will show). in our company a malfunctioning trackball is about 70% of the hardware probs with blackberries

odegos 09-30-2009 02:01 PM

I love the trackpad, sadly had a factory fault on mine and sent it back, the trackpad was not properly seated and would sink in when scrolling.

lilb0ibastard 10-01-2009 01:48 PM

the trackpad is great, however it's just like a mouse on a computer. with the trackball, you have hmm... a bit mroe "control" over where you're pointing your arrow to... while the trackpad may stutter at some times... rarely though. but maybe that's just my stubby thumbs lol

the material used for the trackpad is pretty solid, it's not some cheap plastic that scratches up easily.

imo it's much more durable than any trackball.

CrackBerryV 10-04-2009 12:30 PM

I've had zero problems with it's durability OR accuracy... I think it's much more reliable than the trackball. There's an initial sense of 'freedom' lost I guess, but after an hour or two, I was using it like I had never been without one. BIG improvement over the ball.

Fingerprints/smudges give me headaches, but other than that, this phone is pretty great.

kd4yor 01-18-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrackBerryV (Post 1483070)
I've had zero problems with it's durability OR accuracy... I think it's much more reliable than the trackball. There's an initial sense of 'freedom' lost I guess, but after an hour or two, I was using it like I had never been without one. BIG improvement over the ball.

Fingerprints/smudges give me headaches, but other than that, this phone is pretty great.

I've had my 8550 for 4 mos or so now. I guess you could call me a heavy user as I surf 3-4 hrs a day on my BB.
The trackpad is the single best upgrade from BB. I don't use any holster, it just get's dumped in my jeans pocket. I haven't had a single problem with scratching or sensitivity.

circuslife 01-26-2010 01:52 AM

On Trackpad and Battery Life

Hi guys!

I'm planning to upgrade to a BB 8520 soon but actually, its trackpad is one of the things that make me kinda iffy about getting the phone. I'm pretty much used to the trackball and I think it's very accurate. I read in some reviews that the trackpad is not as accurate and sometimes won't work well at all (due to grime etc.). Can any BB 8520 clarify this. Thanks!

Also, I read in this review that one of the biggest weaknesses of 8520 is its poor battery life. Has RIM done something about this? Do we already have battery options for the device?

Thanks in advance! :smile:

Wuzzer 01-26-2010 03:44 AM

Took the words RIGHT outta my mouth. Nicely done. +1 (if we do that here?)

My suggestion? If you're afraid of scratches, get yourself an invisible shield. Google it, I'm too lazy to do that for yah. That's usually the 2nd thing I do once I find out I like a phone. I'm holding off for now as I am kinda sorta waiting for the 9100 (if it comes), but for now, I so far like the 8520's features. If the 9100 comes out, I'll swap out in a heartbeat, regardless of cost!! (although if you search around you can probably find my opinions :razz:)

PM me for details.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MidnightDraven (Post 1449608)
I would say the trackpad will hold up alot better than a trackball in terms of durability.
the fact its not a constantly moving part, affected by dust, lint, moisture etc.

It also wont be discoloured, but the scratching might be a problem. just like any other part though.

kart3r 01-31-2010 09:32 AM

IMO trackpad was the best upgrade Blackberry ever had.
Considering the experience gathered by hardware companys in touch devices, touchtrack is a very well tought idea.
The way touchtrack is built really helps to be a durable component of your blackberry because touchtrack isn't like a touch screen but more a optical mouse turned upside down.Optical mouses are very resistant (i talk by my self :P ) and work even in the most dirtier desks, same happens with touchtrack :)

unclefester 02-04-2010 08:09 PM

I had the original Pearl 8100 when it came out, then the Curve 8320 when it came out, and I just recently got the Curve 8520, and I have to say I love the trackpad as opposed to the trackball. After about 5-6 months, the trackball gets really gunked up and required me to press more when i scrolled, and eventually didnt work at all. The trackpad was definitely a good idea since its more comfortable for me, and it doesnt wear out at all. It's about time RIM started making the trackpads...