BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   "Unbranding" AT&T BB Pearl 8100c? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=107674)

Mindflux 12-02-2007 01:54 PM

"Unbranding" AT&T BB Pearl 8100c?

I've got a Pearl on the way, ETA tomorrow. I plan to unlock it, change the OS to Tmobile and give it to my GF for Xmas. She wants a new TMO phone and I got this one for cheap for singing up with AT&T. I'll be using an iPhone anyway.

Anyway, I know you can change the OS and the theme, I've already got the OS ready to go and the Blackberry.xml and ALS.xml modified to unhide themes and whatever else.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to un-brand the phone, so that when it is powered on it does not show the AT&T logo? Not that it should matter all that much.

NJBlackBerry 12-02-2007 02:01 PM

You can not change the branding.

Mindflux 12-02-2007 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 760215)
You can not change the branding.

Alright. let me ask you this. I found it in another thread about 'rebranding' The person wanted to hide AT&T specific applications from their phone. However, if I'm updating my AT&T Pearl with the Tmobile OS.. wouldn't this take care of AT&T specific applications (ie they'd be gone) since I'm running the Tmobile-ified edition of the OS?

Thanks! :)

NJBlackBerry 12-02-2007 02:06 PM

It depends on the application. If it is pushed down by the carrier, then changing carriers will "remove" it.

Updating the OS does nothing to the vendor branding. All of the code is written by RIM and it is tested and released by the carrier. You can run any code released by any vendor and it doesn't impact what YOUR carrier pushes down.

Mindflux 12-02-2007 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 760220)
It depends on the application. If it is pushed down by the carrier, then changing carriers will "remove" it.

Updating the OS does nothing to the vendor branding. All of the code is written by RIM and it is tested and released by the carrier. You can run any code released by any vendor and it doesn't impact what YOUR carrier pushes down.

Well I want it to look and act as much like a Tmobile phone as possible. She's got Tmobile now with a nokia she hates, she uses myfaves (so the myfaves interface would be nice to see on the BB Pearl).

So it sounds like if I unlock the Tmobile theme from the OS(or use the TMO OS update? is that enough?), switch to that and have the myFaves re-pushed from her tmobile account it should be good to go.

Murfunit 12-02-2007 04:02 PM

You might have a problem with the MyFavs. And the AT&T phones don't seem to work with the IM clients the same way the TMo phones do. I'm not sure that won't change though when it's on the TMo network

John Clark 12-02-2007 06:23 PM

You can get the MyFaves on the AT&T Pearl. You just have to make sure that you unlock the myfaves .cod's just as you would the themes. If you removed all vendor coding from the Blackberry.alx then the myfaves apps will load to the device.

Mindflux 12-02-2007 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 760457)
You can get the MyFaves on the AT&T Pearl. You just have to make sure that you unlock the myfaves .cod's just as you would the themes. If you removed all vendor coding from the Blackberry.alx then the myfaves apps will load to the device.

Yeah I changed the vendorID on the t-mobile themes to 102 from 100, so when I load up the OS I should see that. not sure I want to load the rest of the themes as it'll create unnecessary memory usage.

Mindflux 12-02-2007 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murfunit (Post 760295)
You might have a problem with the MyFavs. And the AT&T phones don't seem to work with the IM clients the same way the TMo phones do. I'm not sure that won't change though when it's on the TMo network

She may not use any of these features.. but if she wants to I guess I'll have to figure that out. I would think that the APP itself is identical.. ? How would it not work on one network over another? Can anyone with a bit more history with the BB than the poster quoted above confirm that the AT&T IM clients are fubar with TMO?

John Clark 12-02-2007 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindflux (Post 760713)
Yeah I changed the vendorID on the t-mobile themes to 102 from 100, so when I load up the OS I should see that. not sure I want to load the rest of the themes as it'll create unnecessary memory usage.

I agree....don't add anything you don't need.