BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Outgoing calls via UMA (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=113950)

Dereck 01-21-2008 12:07 PM

Outgoing calls via UMA

I could make outgoing calls via UMA before. All of a sudden today, when I sent an outgoing call..I can't hear anything, not even a ring and the phone says it's connected. Tried other contacts, same problem - even with my voicemail, same problem.

When I go Manage Connections and uncheck Wi-Fi, the calls I make are fine.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

sgtcasey 01-21-2008 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dereck (Post 806263)
I could make outgoing calls via UMA before. All of a sudden today, when I sent an outgoing call..I can't hear anything, not even a ring and the phone says it's connected. Tried other contacts, same problem - even with my voicemail, same problem.

When I go Manage Connections and uncheck Wi-Fi, the calls I make are fine.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

It could be a few things:

1. Your router. Which brand are you using?
2. Your ISP.
3. T-Mobile.

I'd start with number 1 and check everything. Also, before calling T-Mobile, try making calls over UMA at another location. If you're not using a T-Mobile branded router and have not set up any type of QoS on your home network you could be seeing bandwidth issues.

[Edit] Oh yeah, if you haven't pulled the battery on your 8320 recently, try that as well. :)

Dave

John Clark 01-21-2008 12:24 PM

I've had this happen a couple of times. I usually just hang up and try the call again and it goes through.

Sith_Apprentice 01-21-2008 12:30 PM

or you can do the always useful battery pull and see if that clears up your problem.

lohphat 01-21-2008 01:17 PM

I'm getting the same problem here in SF on T-Mobile. I've reset the phone and no dice. I have to disable wifi to prevent UMA to make calls.

sgtcasey 01-21-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohphat (Post 806380)
I'm getting the same problem here in SF on T-Mobile. I've reset the phone and no dice. I have to disable wifi to prevent UMA to make calls.

Once you've verified it also happens in another location then I would call T-Mobile.

Dave

Sith_Apprentice 01-21-2008 01:27 PM

do you have bluetooth enabled when using UMA?

secretspaz 01-21-2008 02:05 PM

Hi All!
Im actually on the line with a T-Mobile customer service rep..
she said that she has received only two calls so far today regarding this issue.

Its good to know im not the only one having issues with it.

Dereck 01-21-2008 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lohphat (Post 806380)

I've done a battery pull and that's what I've been doing to be able to send outgoing calls. Whenever I receive incoming calls, it would usually a while before I could even hear the person on the other end under UMA. So I've disabled Wi-Fi..so far no problems..the internet speed seems fine.

Seems like I'm not the only one having problems with this...I thought I was going insane! But thank you guys for the help. Much appreciated. ;-)

John Clark 01-21-2008 04:01 PM

My *guess* is that it's network congestion....lots of UMA users.

lohphat 01-21-2008 04:03 PM

On with T-Mobile now -- it's a global issue. It's high-priority ticket. The comped me 300 minutes since I have to burn plan minutes while UMA's down.

John Clark 01-21-2008 04:06 PM

Well that's a start!

If you're having this issue, please call in to TMo. Experience has shown that the more people call in, the higher priority these things get and the quicker they get fixed.

flash24 01-21-2008 04:17 PM

Me and my brother are having the same issue (I thought it was just me).. I've tried everything, I'm going to call tmobile to see what's up.

Edit: It's working now for me :)

flash24 01-21-2008 04:26 PM

Nevermind, mine worked for a little bit then it stopped working again.

Edit: Just got off the phone with a tmobile rep.. it's a problem only in California. It should be fixed soon he said.

Dereck 01-21-2008 04:54 PM

Thanks for the update! :)

xplorer 01-21-2008 05:49 PM

I have the same issue my work and home in SF bay Area. Either I call or someone calls me no sound but says connected. Will this ever be stable? Why didn’t I listen to friends when they said this is untested technology and wait before getting into it.

lohphat 01-21-2008 06:17 PM

4.2.2.184 on a 8320?

Is that a typo in your sig? The t-mobile site says 4.2.2.180 is current.

lohphat 01-21-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xplorer (Post 806809)
I have the same issue my work and home in SF bay Area. Either I call or someone calls me no sound but says connected. Will this ever be stable? Why didn’t I listen to friends when they said this is untested technology and wait before getting into it.

The tmer "untest" is inaccurate, there was plenty of testing before deployment.

Problems have been few and far between. Name another carrier who never has occasional infrastructure problems and loss of coverage?

My PG&E power went out last week for 2 hours. That does not damn the service.

Things happen.

UMA has greatly reduced my mobile bill. I'm not looking back.

John Clark 01-21-2008 06:37 PM

No, 4.2.2.184 is not a typo. You can get it here:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...e-telecom.html

And I agree that "untested" is inaccurate. UMA has worked great for me most of the time I've had it. I had one glitch that TMobile fixed for me as well as the 2 week global outage they had. I'm happy with the service.

xplorer 01-21-2008 07:01 PM

Sorry, but for me I have been in problems ever since I got it, I got four phone from them. After the flooding in first week December last year UMA never worked for me properly until after the first week of January 2008 and after about two weeks I again have problem. Maybe I am an isolated case with all my four phones but to me so far it has not been a good experience.