BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Sensitive Discussions (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Climate Change/Global Warming (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=176340)

mriff 02-15-2009 09:14 AM

Climate Change/Global Warming

I really haven't studied this supposed phenomenon very much, but one of my favorite columnists obviously has an opinion. What is your opinion on the global climate and if humans have the capacity to markedly alter it over time?

RealClearPolitics - Articles - Apocalypse Now? Highly Unlikely

Dawg 02-15-2009 09:29 AM

I feel there is something different in the climate but not sure of global warming or not

mriff 02-15-2009 09:42 AM

I'm not sure either. There certainly is a lot of passion on either side. The new administration is going to spend a lot of time (and money) on it. I don't think the science is developed enough to make strong conclusions either way. But again, I'm not close enough to the literature to have a strong opinion. The George Will article is interesting though.

test54 02-15-2009 11:55 AM

but the alternative energy jobs can be good for both the economy and the environment in my opinion. Whether you believe in global warming or not you certainly cannot go to a major city and think that the smog is somehow good for the residents. To move towards removing the source of the air pollution as well as removing the need for oil thats imported from the Middle East sounds all good to me.

dmead 02-15-2009 12:17 PM

My thing with climate change is this. I don't doubt that the earth is warming. Evidence is all around that it is. Ice caps melting. Tropical storms getting worse. Is it mans fault as some people would like us to believe, i don't think so. This is just another one of earths cycles in my opinion. are we humans free of blame, certainly not. We have done our fair share of damage but i don't think we are solely responsible for this.

test54 02-15-2009 12:28 PM

so then the next question is should we ignore the cycle and continue with life as usual?.

or if we see a devastating cycle coming whether its the warming or ice age should we engage all the science and technology we have to slow it or stop it? I think one of the global warming questions is - are we accelerating the change?

Dawg 02-15-2009 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1286258)
so then the next question is should we ignore the cycle and continue with life as usual?.

Thats exactly what I plan to do. I can't personally change it so why bother worrying about it.

jsconyers 02-15-2009 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmead (Post 1286243)
My thing with climate change is this. I don't doubt that the earth is warming. Evidence is all around that it is. Ice caps melting. Tropical storms getting worse. Is it mans fault as some people would like us to believe, i don't think so. This is just another one of earths cycles in my opinion. are we humans free of blame, certainly not. We have done our fair share of damage but i don't think we are solely responsible for this.

Well said, this is my stance on this as well.

test54 02-15-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1286276)
Thats exactly what I plan to do. I can't personally change it so why bother worrying about it.

think thats the same attitude the villagers use in Pakistan.:razz:

many examples where people can actually make a difference. its as small as tuning up cars when needed or keeping your heat pump / furnace running properly. saves money and ads up in making a change even if its tiny.

Dawg 02-15-2009 12:59 PM

no that affects my poket book so i do that anyway. And this has nothing to do with children in Pakistan thats just like the liberal left trying to justify something with something else. Please stay on topic.

test54 02-15-2009 02:29 PM

well just because it helps your budget does not make it any less beneficial to the environment.

Big difference in saying I cannot make a difference alone rather than i don't think their is a better way.

innovation comes from one person or one group saying that they can make a difference. that can tie into anything from science, religion, war or everyday life.

Dawg 02-16-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by test54 (Post 1286381)
well just because it helps your budget does not make it any less beneficial to the environment.

Big difference in saying I cannot make a difference alone rather than i don't think their is a better way.

innovation comes from one person or one group saying that they can make a difference. that can tie into anything from science, religion, war or everyday life.

now didn't I say the same thing in another thread and you said no way so quit contradicting yourself. Make up your mind on which side if the fence you want to be on.

test54 02-16-2009 10:30 AM

big difference in risking your life and choosing to make a change in your life to help innovation. big difference there dawg.

my mention of the Pakistani village in this post was just to tease you about that.